ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What oil would be best for me ??? Also spark plug's ??? :)

Renault clio 1.4 rt
Hi there im new here and just had a couple of questions to ask :)

I have a MK1 clio 1.4 rt 4 door !!! It has the standard energy engine !!!! I was just wondering what oil would be best for me atm !!! The car has done just over 100.600 miles !!! I also have a K&N induction kit on it !! The car has a standard exhaust though !!! The tappets are well can be pretty noisy when it is cold !! There is also no heat shield or hot air pipe or air box as i have the induction kit !!So the engine takes a little longer to heat up !!! Would anyone be able to advise me on what oil would be good to use and also what spark plugs !!! As the engine is getting older now i was thinking of a slightly thicker oil maybe !!!! I currently have Castrol GTX 10 / 40 in there atm !!!!! Also someone mentioned some tappet treatment that you add to your oil ??? But i do know these engines are quite tappy happy anyway from what i have read :)

Hope someone can help thank's dave :)

Renault clio 1.4 rt
dude, try posting in the correct section, there are other sections available other than clio discussion :)

Have a search as well

sorry buddy i didn't know where to post this ???? :(

TBH i don't really know much about oils !!!!! And what i would need that's why im asking the question :) As i thought there would be people on here that would know :) I only really trot around in the car i don't boot it or anything every so often ill give it a blast but most of the time i just drive steady !!!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Use the best quality oil filter you can and a good quality 10w/40 semi-synthetic oil. You don't have to use a full on racing oil in your cars as it will make no difference buddy. Same goes for Halfords and other autofactors - don't allow them to sell you anything thats over priced as an own brand or Carlube will be great and under £22 for 5litres.

Renault also do a product range called "Motrio" which is perfect for you and anyone else with an older vehicle The filters are genuine and the oil is made by ELF and its alot cheaper than you'd think.

Mick

Renault clio 1.4 rt
Use the best quality oil filter you can and a good quality 10w/40 semi-synthetic oil. You don't have to use a full on racing oil in your cars as it will make no difference buddy. Same goes for Halfords and other autofactors - don't allow them to sell you anything thats over priced as an own brand or Carlube will be great and under £22 for 5litres.

Renault also do a product range called "Motrio" which is perfect for you and anyone else with an older vehicle The filters are genuine and the oil is made by ELF and its alot cheaper than you'd think.

Mick

Cheers buddy that really helped !!! I though i may need a 15 / 40 ?? But as you say 10 / 40 that's what ill do ;) Will have a look at motrio stuff to ;) Do spark plugs really make a difference / do i need specific ones or just good quality standards ??? :)

Renault clio 1.4 rt
Ngk plugs I recommend mate can't go wrong with these

I was trying to find ngk plugs !! But i didn't know what rating they are for my car !!When i look them up for my car it brings up champion ones and bosch ones !!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
  mondeo titanium tdci
No worries there is a uprated option but doubtfull you would need it IMO :)

Ngk bcp5evx irridum I think they are

Renault clio 1.4 rt
No worries there is a uprated option but doubtfull you would need it IMO :)

Ngk bcp5evx irridum I think they are

I just really want to give the car a good service really !! i used to every year but hasn't been done for nearly 3 years now :( As i was out of work for a wile and only just getting back on my feet :) I have no plans to sell this car and want to keep it for a good few more years as it was a gift from my nan who isn't here anymore !!:( So has a lot of value to me even though it's not worth much money ect !!!!