ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What petrol?

Status
Not open for further replies.
  328, MK1 Clio 1.4
I use shell V-Power. Why not, only costs about £2 extra per fill-up and it is supposed to be better for any car, so why wouldn't you use it?

Renault Clio 182
Tesco is definately taking over there a brutal company they have a big superstore were we are (Banbury) but have recently opened 3 Tesco express stores all with in about a mile of eachother

I use Sainsbury's Super Unleaded. Super gives me the better MPG and better value for money overall. After trying out all my local garages, I found that Sainsburys was just as good as the other Supers and its always a few pence cheaper.

HBT 172 Cup
95 and 99 RON made no difference on my cup. Both fuels made 186bhp, both get same econemy, both run as "smooth" from cold e.t.c

HBT 172 Cup
What dyno is that on then Danny?

Cause if its a dyno dynamics like surrey rolling road use, then they dont actually measure losses they just apply a fixed guess percentage for all FWD cars.

SuperFlow AutoDyn 11

Althought i made the same results at Surrey as i did on the above dyno regardless of how the tranmission loss was calculated.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Tescos are slowly taking over the world, soon this debate will be acedemic as petrol will only come from tesco probably, lol

I know what you mean. Those lucky people in St Albans have a shell just before the M25 which is always cheaper than any other garage i have seen... My closest is 16 miles away!!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
SuperFlow AutoDyn 11

Althought i made the same results at Surrey as i did on the above dyno regardless of how the tranmission loss was calculated.

What were the actual figures at each then at the fly and at the wheels out of interest?

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Cheapest I can find.. I decided to be a tight arse and put some petrol in i removed from my dads mates landrover diesel (Had mayb a litre of diesel mixed in it)... It didnt like that stuff, let just say I didnt need the overrun map for those few days :rasp:

Evo 5 RS
Well then you're having to buy the additives which is money on top of what could of been spent on higher RON fuel, which probably has the additives anyway (as long as it's not mickey mouse branded)

lol

53 Clio's & counting
I did some working out years ago, before my ph1 went onto itb's, and i got better mpg on tesco 99 than i did on 95 - it also felt better on 99 - not faster per-say, but I think the best way of putting it in lamens(sp?) terms is it felt more awake on 99. Oh, that mpg was calculated, not based on the dash, and I did 5 tanks of each (from memory) not doing one tank and swapping.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Sure didn't.

what was their take on the matter?

That addtitives did nothing or made your car make less power, TBH I wasnt massively impressed with the quality of the test though, and it only applies to the particular car they tested of course.

Listerine & Poledo
Again, wouldn't it take about 3 tankfuls for the ECU to learn the new fuel quality anyway?

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
Why would anyone not put the best petrol they can in their cars?

Do you buy Tesco's own brand engine oil? I bet you all buy the Elf stuff or Castrol etc.

Do you buy any old anti-freeze for the coolant? Most on here will only buy what Renault reccomend.

MK3 GTI golf 16v
Why would anyone not put the best petrol they can in their cars?

clarify " best petrol" if your on about the higher octane stuff, its not necessarily better, its designed for different styled engines. so using it in the wrong car might mean that the cheaper fuel is actually better

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
I will say this for the nth time..

I went on a tour round Shell Global solutions a few years ago when a mate worked there. (This is where they test oils and fuels on engines, both live road testing and destructive testing).

I witnessed an endoscope going through the valves on an engine that had been on RON-pikey and Vpower on identical engines, identical life, and the difference as quite amazing. The whole of the internals were just cleaner! The injector nozzle was a lot better on Vpower too.

Since getting my 182 I've only put £10 of RON95 (desperate, and no vpower available) all because of what I saw at Shell.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Sounds like shell marketting worked well on you then, lol

I do agree with vpower being a good fuel, I just wouldnt trust the person selling it to give me independant results!

When you have an engine like the f4r which occasionally suffers from valve failure, it seems a pointless exercise to increase the chances of that happening by running a fuel that may cause knock under certain load conditions and risk causing them to fatigue quicker.
For the sake of 3p a litre, I'd stick with a super unleaded personally.

Poorly engineered tat then.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Sounds like shell marketting worked well on you then, lol

I do agree with vpower being a good fuel, I just wouldnt trust the person selling it to give me independant results!
It wasn't a showcase. Its their own personal behind the scenes testing.

172 cup, Impreza P1
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, Tesco 99 is normal fuel with 5% ethanol added which increases the knock resistance of the fuel, but lowers its calorific value, so effectively its "watered down", if your car runs a little lean in places anyway, it could even lead to a misfire as a result.

Andy Forrest and Bob Rawle, 2 of the most respected Impreza mappers say they would only recommend shell v power or tesco 99. This has been proven over many years of mapping turbo charged cars. Their word is more than good enough for me and so I use it on all my cars and never had any issues. Only 4p per litre more expensive then normal around here.

BP Ultimate is meant to be the worst premium fuel on the Market and I've been told to use normal unleaded before using this stuff in the Impreza.

One other thing to note is the octane rating on tesco 99 has been proven to drop faster than most premium fuels so if you go through a full tank every month it won't be the same rating at the end of the tank as it was at the start. Been told it's only good for about 2 weeks.

RSTuning

ClioSport Club Member
  R35 GTR
We back to back tested some 95 ron against vpower on a totally standard octavia VRS 1.8 20vT.

Logging knock and advance with VCDS the 95 was giving massive correction figures, 6 IIRC over all 4 cylinders and 165hp. We drained the fuel while still on the dyno and filled with vpower. The same logs were taken, this time with 0 correction at WOT and an extra 10hp and 10lbft all over.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Be interesting to find out what would happen on a N/A car. I was allways under the impression turbo cars did perform better with the higher octane stuff

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
We back to back tested some 95 ron against vpower on a totally standard octavia VRS 1.8 20vT.

Logging knock and advance with VCDS the 95 was giving massive correction figures, 6 IIRC over all 4 cylinders and 165hp. We drained the fuel while still on the dyno and filled with vpower. The same logs were taken, this time with 0 correction at WOT and an extra 10hp and 10lbft all over.

Exactly what one would expect to happen really, good to have some specific figures though.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Be interesting to find out what would happen on a N/A car. I was allways under the impression turbo cars did perform better with the higher octane stuff

I mentioned earlier about different loads sites being effected differently by a change in octane, effectively on most turbo cars there will be more load sites adversely effected than on an N/A car, and if its a fairly high compression turbo and has had the boost increased to the point where the power is very much knock limited (ie the minimum advance for best torque is half a degree before det) then it will be greatly effected, and if the knock sensor isnt working well enough, could very easily melt as a result.

172 cup, Impreza P1
So general concensus from the people in the know is use the best stuff you can get and nonsense to 'I've used the cheap stuff for years and its never done any harm to my car'!

RSTuning

ClioSport Club Member
  R35 GTR
Yes!

Yesterday we were supposed to be mapping a Merc ML63AMG, he had 95 octane in the tank, it made only 444hp and was knocking pretty bad. You could see the ECU pulling timing on the logs...

Status
Not open for further replies.