ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What should I do - Valver or 1.4RT

S2000

About a month ago I bought a Renault Clio 1.4RT at a car auction. ATM I have it insured in my mums name because it was going to cost me £1700 a year to insure (I am 17 and passed test 8months ago) which 1)I couldnt afford and 2) I didnt want to pay that anyway for a 1.4.

I have been made aware now though of a valver that is for sale near me for £1000 on about 75000miles. The decision I am faced with is whether or not I should go for the valver. If I did then it would still have to be insured in my mums name and would cost me £1160 TPFT a year with elephant (my current insurance is £700 fully comp) . The thing is that I dont know whether I should go for this valver which woudl cost me more in insurance and some more to change or stick with my 1.4RT.

What do you think I should do?

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

coming from someone who had an rta nd went to a valver, after the advice on here to......

i would stick with the rt for a while....

you can save up more for a better condition valver (could be a bit dodgy for £1000)

you can get used to driving more before getting a quicker car

you will not have the money problems of funding a valver if it goes wrong (can be very expensive

Id say get a bit more experience driving tbh.

If id have had my valver at 17,i probably wouldnt be here now to type this.

(im not saying your a cr*p driver, or that you wont be able to handle the power, its a lot of power for a 17yr old to handle)

S2000

The thing is that I dont like having my insurance under my mums name anyway and I do want to get it in my own name asap but I have looked at throetical quotes on-line for about 10 months time and I would be able to afford the insurance for a valver if it was quoting me the same at that time.

Another part of my thinking is that the valver has a few mods done to it which I am not too fussed about so I could make some money back by seeling them off (e.g. it has 17" alloys on it but I would be happy enough with the standard 15" wheels). Also, the quote I got with elephant of £1160 is actually for 10 months and not twelve.

Im going to look at the valver tomorrow anyway and I will think about the whoel situation a bit more once I have seen the car and know if it is a sh*tter or not (though it sounds OK as it has had a fair bit of work done.) One of the things that is swaying me to the valver though is that all the mods I want to do to my RT have already been done to it and some time soon the cambelt and wheel bearings will have to be done on my RT but I wouldnt face this cost with the valver. I hate these decisions!!!!!!

Vee dub

Yeah Id agree with Neil and Cat171 here, get a bit of experience and get to know your clio RT first, then make the step up to a valver.

Not a Clio

Quote: Originally posted by Scott1987 on 12 July 2005
^^^^true but theres thousands of people who do it mate

not the point though is it if you get caught out!

Also the main thing for this guy is that hes not getting any NCD unless he goes under his own name so hes going to be paying through the teeth for a fair while.

valver will cost a load more in parts and petrol and is more likely to go wrong speaking from experience... id wait til you can realistically afford to insure the valver and run it properly...

also dont cheat on insurance... thats what chavs do and thats why premiums are so high... well, so they keep telling us...

S2000

I would rather have i insured in my own name but the lowest price I can get for my insurance on the RT in my own name is £1700 which TBH isnt worth it for that car and I couldnt afford to insure it at that price anyway. Whether I get a valver or not I wont have a policy in my own name for a while anyway which is why its tempting me so much.

I know valvers are more likely to go wrong but I know for a fact that there are a few things that are going to need doing to my car in the near future anyway and it is also going to cost me money to modify it (just wheels, exhaust and lowered) but that is already done to the valver. TBH I think I will end up keeping my RT but I am going to have a look at the valver anyway - give me something to look forward to in the future if nothing else.

megane coupe F7R

Quote: Originally posted by cat171 on 12 July 2005

(im not saying your a cr*p driver, or that you wont be able to handle the power, its a lot of power for a 17yr old to handle)

Id probably be dead too. Your to young and inexpirienced to get a valver. And thats me saying that, a 22year old not some old man like ya dad.

S2000

TBH im starting to think I wont bother and Ill just try and get my own policy asap (when I can afford it) but Ill go have a look anyway and see what valvers are really like as I have never even seen one in the metal before.

if i were you mate id just get the valver and pay the money, i just had a valver, got it when i was 17, insured tpft for 1500, crash it nearly killed maself ( Thanx to the phase 2 airbag! ) and now i got a 106 gti at age 19, steep at 2000 for fully comp but its worth it!!

Remapped derv Golf

Quote: Originally posted by TheJesus on 12 July 2005

also dont cheat on insurance... thats what chavs do and thats why premiums are so high... well, so they keep telling us...
Some of these chavs aint even insured. The b**tards!

I thought a Valver would feel really fast after driving a 1.2 Clio for a year, but after a week the speed becomes less of an issue.

Honestly I now dont know how I survived driving the 1.2 lol. When I look back on some of the stuff I did in it and pushing the car right to the extremes. I didnt crash either, only once got close when I had a blowout while doing the 40mph speed limit round an S bend (which I usually did 65mph round) and the car understeered loads and I hit the kerb and broke a bottom ball joint.

The Valver is much safer to drive I think, as the handling is incredible, so you can go faster than most people without pushing the handling. Also, theyre quick enough so that unless youre racing something particularly quick you dont need to corner so fast anyway, as you can just boot it and quickly pull away on the straights.

See ya

Matt

Suzuki SV650

Quote: Originally posted by Bryan on 12 July 2005

go legal, stick with the 1.4 for another year and get your own policy
Shortest yet best advice on this thread given straight away!

S2000

The decision had been taken out of my hands now anyway :(

I phoned the seller earlier as we were still to arrange where I was going to meet him and it turned out someone who had gone to see it earlier bought it.

I really would love to get a valver but I will probably leave it another year or so and at that point (going by internet quotes) I would be able to afford the insurance on a valver in my own name even though I would have no NCB.

Thanks for all the advice anyway.

P.S. - I am not a chav as someone suggested earlier. I feel the same way as most about chavs - I wouldnt care if they dissapeared off the face of the earth ;)

Rb 182

Keep the Rt slam it put on some black wheels and run around in it for a year, then buy a valver. 2 months and counting for me! :devilish:

Beetle

Quote: Originally posted by Andyvalver on 12 July 2005

Quote: Originally posted by cat171 on 12 July 2005

Id probably be dead too. Your to young and inexpirienced to get a valver. And thats me saying that, a 22year old not some old man like ya dad.

tbh though its all about how responsible the driver is and knowin your limits and capabilities as a driver, ive got one at 18 and dont consider myself too inexeperienced, ok maybe i havent been driving for 5 or 10 years but since i started driving just over a year ago ive clocked up over 16k (not all in the valver), included in that is a hell of a lot of motorway driving. as long as you are a sensible driver and dont insist on driving like a tw@ then i dont see the age thing as being much of a problem. if people do have a sudden increase in power form upgrading to a better car then they should get to grips with the car for a while to get used to the extra power, and know when it is safe to use it.

S2000

Quote: Originally posted by Djw Dave on 12 July 2005

Keep the Rt slam it put on some black wheels and run around in it for a year, then buy a valver. 2 months and counting for me! :devilish:
Have you been reading my mind again dave????

Are you still considering a turbo conversion?

Rb 182

Quote: Originally posted by donsrno1 on 12 July 2005

Quote: Originally posted by Djw Dave on 12 July 2005

Have you been reading my mind again dave????

Are you still considering a turbo conversion?

Not sure TBH, maybe turbo it but thinking of giving to my girlfriend, and getting a valver. If i give it to her i know it wont go to waste and she would treat it the way i do (with love). Defo looking to get a valver or 5 gtt around september time.

Dave

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold

Quote: Originally posted by StevieP on 12 July 2005

Quote: Originally posted by Bryan on 12 July 2005

go legal, stick with the 1.4 for another year and get your own policy
Shortest yet best advice on this thread given straight away!
Spot on advice !

The RTs are not bad cars...with slight moddign they can be enjoyable!

PS, my first year of driving i had a 1.0 Micra....cost me £1750 for insurance in my name but i had to do it

a)wanted to build up NCB
b)wanted to be fully legal

Basicly if you cant afford it. You have to consider that car ownership at that time is not best for you then and possibly hold of until you can afford it.