ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What size slicks

Bg182 bitsa,thisthat
Looking too buy a pair of slicks but how do u work out the size of them too a conventional tyre? T

WRX
Nob? Can't take a joke eh?
Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer! Are you just having slicks on the front or just the left side?
As per Bigash's post, or ask your supplier!
And in your context, the word is "to".

Trophy Turbo :)
Owen speak to scoff.

Its always great here on clio sport when you get really quality valuable replys from members who to be frank probs dont have a life nor have a clue what the answer is hence why they cant reply.

Lionel Richie
you northerners not reading what people say properly?

BIGASH said to get the same all round otherwise you'll have ABS/weird handling issues (if that matters)

Madgit is asking why only 2

its hal'reet pet i answered ha'way man ;)

Bg182 bitsa,thisthat
Cheers Fred ,
andy I'm guessing they just thought I wonted slicks for my 1.2 70hp monster

Lionel Richie
a 180/580 15 was nigh on identical to a 205/50 15 from memory, not quite as wide but the heights were spot on, if you're drag racing shouldn't you get some mickey T's?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
You dont want track slicks for a drag strip, the sidewalls are far too firm which means they wont collapse onto the road to give a big footprint.

What are the smallest wheels you can fit over your brakes? Are you prepared to swap the brakes to smaller ones to allow you to go down a wheel size?

You want the highest sidewall you possibly can so it can collapse more, and you want the biggest external diameter to increase footprint as well.

Extreme example, but you want to take a few steps towards this sort of thing:

2wohfrl.jpg

So basically NOTHING like what people use on trackdays or the road.

And obviously pull the ABS fuse out, lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yea I'm with u there, it's just got std 172/182 calipers on

You cant go below a 15 then sadly mate, unless you are prepared to swap down to smaller ones when you run at the strip?

Do you want road legal drag tyres, or are you not fussed about that? (not sure if you are racing in a series for road cars or not)

big boost cup
I have Micky Ts et drag and they are 24.5/8/15s. what are they going on? and where abouts are you getting them from.
and you will break things with them on tbh and i paid £212 a tire plus fitting

Last edited:
  Bg182 bitsa,thisthat
No nothing like that just for rwyb, type days for bit fun but wonting too get the best out of it I can, ran some ok times last year on road tyres with low psi but could sharp see that a better tyre would have been highly beneficial

Bg182 bitsa,thisthat
Hi Tom thanks v much, there going on a 182 that I'm almost finished for next year. My last build was running 265/300ft/lb and I really struggled too get any good traction it was raining aswell like which didn't help ran 12.8,what are u running and what times u been getting? the new build will have possibly 360-380bhp so looking for some ideas on tyres cheers

big boost cup
Hi Tom thanks v much, there going on a 182 that I'm almost finished for next year. My last build was running 265/300ft/lb and I really struggled too get any good traction it was raining aswell like which didn't help ran 12.8,what are u running and what times u been getting? the new build will have possibly 360-380bhp so looking for some ideas on tyres cheers

im running around 300 in mine at the moment. and thats done a few 12.2s at shakey with no nitrous. if your going to get some slicks id also look at getting a better gearbox as you will be launching it fecking hard of the line to stop it bogging down.

big boost cup
you drag boys tried tyre softener?

i have read about that stuff but a lot dont seem to rate it. hence going for some slicks. road/track tires even with a massive burnout on a prepped track and i was spinning until 3rd. where as slicks small burnout 5k launch and instant grip

Bg182 bitsa,thisthat
Ha yea my helix paddle clutch lasted about 8 2nd gear launches before it melted ha, got a few spare boxes too blow up first before I stick the 6 speed in like,

Bg182 bitsa,thisthat
Not too sure now I had a o2m which I sold on, I've got a 197 gearbox lying about but I think it would just be pissing in the wind with it, will either go back the vw route or a r26r box

Bg182 bitsa,thisthat
No not at all scoff. Emailed me the prices, to be fair neither is the ndo route box plus clutch and few other little odds and ends is 1500 before u start with shafts etc

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
180/580 R15
190/580 R15
200/580 R15

any of them should do, top ones are cup racer size from memory

200/580 are the size you want equivelant to a 205/45.

Cup racers ran 19/57 or 190/570 which would be a 195/45ish

180s are too narrow so us 185min to 200max, the race tyres are very square so have more contact patch than a road tyre etc.