ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

what speed is the 172 capable off

What speed is the 172 capable of, i know the book, speed and i know how much mine did well what i took it too, but what do you think the realistic top speed is, wether it be on a track or wereever

no raod racing threads please so this does not get moved or closed

cheers

Id say about 140mph on the stright and level. Evo got a 182 to 139mph (or it worked out to about that) on a test track oval a 172 wont be that far off.

One German forum user has hit the limiter on a big hill in 5th which is about 150mph I think.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

had mine reading around 147-8 on the clock with shift light on,would not go any further

ian

Lionel Richie

Quote: Originally posted by bambam1 on 31 October 2004

IIRC roamer had 148mph verified with GPS and fred in the passenger seat
correct, bout 1000rpm to go!!! got there damn fast

Quote: Originally posted by bambam1 on 31 October 2004

IIRC roamer had 148mph verified with GPS and fred in the passenger seat
Roamers has 212hp though and an ~8k redline so is capable of more speed.

I think he said it would be capable of ~155mph give a long road.

Quote: Originally posted by CupCake on 31 October 2004

I thought the gearbox was limited to 144mph or something???
My is on the standard box and hit the rev limiter in 5th at 7k ish. Its not as high as the 1st 3 gears. GPS confirmed that yeah the gearbox is limited to around a genuine 143mph.

Roamer must have an uprated ECU to GPS at 148. TBs would require an uprated ECU anyway??

Quote: Originally posted by MAC30L on 31 October 2004

Roamer must have an uprated ECU to GPS at 148. TBs would require an uprated ECU anyway??
The limit to the gearbox is just what the engine can give, the stock engine is redlined at 7.2k I think so thats the maximum theoretical speed its capable of. But drag etc means it wont reach the engine redline in on the straights.

Roamers runs an external ecu though but the stock 172 ecu can be remapped togive the car higer revs. An R-Sport ecu gives you an 8k redline but the car wont hit the redline in top with just the R-Sport ecu due to drag.

Quote: Originally posted by edde on 31 October 2004

The limit to the gearbox is just what the engine can give, the stock engine is redlined at 7.2k I think so thats the maximum theoretical speed its capable of. But drag etc means it wont reach the engine redline in on the straights.
A standard 172 ECU will allow the engine to run to 7200rpm in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd only. 4th and 5th have a 7k rpm limit for whatever reason. As for not reaching the readline on the straights, yes it will. People have video/photo evidence to prove this ;), if the 172 ran out of revs at its max power (6500rpm roughly), then 130ish would be the max speed of the 172/Cup.