ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

what suspension for road use/track day

I need some advice on which suspension route to take on my cup;

Eibach springs / cheap but will the dampers burst in 2 years time?
Coilovers / which set? Do I really need all the adjustments?

Can somebody explain the pros and cons with coilovers!
Ill be doin around 4 trackdays a year in the cup so Im looking into sorting the suspension out plus I want 4 pots!!

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer

Just got Koni damper and Eibach sportlines. Will be putting them on in a few days time.

Currently i have Eibach pros and std damper, for the road they are excellent probably the best compromise between excellent handling and still retaining some comfort.

If you wan the car on the track then i have looked at all the options and even spoken to some of my friend from my EVO days (used to own EVO4,6 etc for a few years). The main man Dave Philips from Ohlins told me this:-

"Hi Steve.

With damping, you pay for what you get. Yes, Öhlins are the best.

If you want to do this as cheap as possible I would suggest you fit
Koni dampers which can be revalved to more suitable setting for track
day useage. They can also be modified to adjustable platforms too. I
personally would not fit anything else as, from our experience,
anything else is fairly poor.

Your other option would be to fit the Clio Cup units if the car is
only used as a track day car and NOT on the road.

Just for your info, I used to be the technical service manager for
Koni in the UK before I set up the Öhlins UK operation. We are current
the UK importer for Öhlins car product. Please give me a call and to
discuss your requirements and options.

Best regards
Dave"

I went the Koni /Eibach sportline route but H&Rs were the next recommenation but only if want a lower ride height.

Hope this helps.

[Edited by EVOgone on 05 August 2005 at 10:47am]

Quote: Originally posted by nique on 05 August 2005
I need some advice on which suspension route to take on my cup;

Eibach springs / cheap but will the dampers burst in 2 years time?
Coilovers / which set? Do I really need all the adjustments?

Can somebody explain the pros and cons with coilovers!
Ill be doin around 4 trackdays a year in the cup so Im looking into sorting the suspension out plus I want 4 pots!!

Coilovers let you lower the car more and give you the options of using different springs and lowering the car into the ground. Since the lower the car the lower the center of gravity the more speed you can carry round bends.
If I were tracking a Cup Id be tempted to either leave the suspension and do the brakes. After the brakes had been done (£400 or so for 4 pots) Id forget just springs and get a full coilover set, either Blistein if I could get hold of a set or Leda. You b looking at about £1.k but its the about the best you can buy. Cup racer stuff would b superb but they hav laguna front ends etc so trying to get one of those kits to fit would be a challange. Also the back have combined shocks and spings which mount where the present shock it. To get these to it a 172/182 youd need to probably stick a full cage in or have the rear mounts strengthened to survive. The Cup racers run full cages so thats no problem the cags help strenghten the rear mounts.

E92 M3 Monte Carlo

Bilstein dont do coilovers for 172s anymore there basically h&r anyway

Also edde where can you get 4 pots for £400 for a 172 ?

I think Ill get eibach sportline springs, spend the rest on 4 pots.
I love the look of brembo brakes but I had AP racing 4 pots on my old evo 4 and they would last all day on track without any fade, is it possible either 2 companies produce 4 pots for the cup? around the £500-£1000
I hope

182>FRS>VX220 now 350Z

The Brembo package is around £1200inc VAT. I was able to get them at £800plus VAT but its still a shed load of cash!! So went for Brembo disks, braided lines and PF 97 pads :eek:)

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer

Quote: Originally posted by Fred2001Dynamic on 06 August 2005

NO NEED FOR 4POTS ON A 172/182
Wow we agree, no need for the 4 pot but serious track use would benifit from some brake ducting.

Quote: Originally posted by Fred2001Dynamic on 06 August 2005
NO NEED FOR 4POTS ON A 172/182

I think we agree better disks/pads than stock are necessary for track day work and since I dont like changing disks and pads often I think with some uprated pads and disks (useable for track day work) need changing quite a bit (well moe often that 4 pots would ned be). Also I dont like squeeky pads so Id go for 4 pots.
I agree the brake cooling would help though. How different 4 pot would be vs uprated stock calipers and branke ducting I dont know but Id say 4 pots would be slightly better. Possibly in the long run 4 pots would be cheaper I dont know but Id prefere to pay the extra for 4 pots personally.