ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What to do with a part broken chassis

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Hi guys, just chucking it out there. I’m thinking it maybe more cost effective for me to part break my old clio. Selling the parts until I cover what I want then scrapping the rest of the car. Those of you who have broken cars before. How do you dispose of the chassis when it has no wheels etc. I’m suspecting I need a scrappy with a lift of sorts to pluck the car off axle stands onto a flat bed. However do you pay for this or does the scrap cover the cost and some of the movement. Back in the old days I would just tow or drive a car to my local breakers and he would give me £25 (this was 20 years ago) however I’m proposing I strip the car leaving the chassis and then dispose (maybe leaving engine and box in if I can cover my cost to save buying/hiring an engine crane)

just waying up my options, so advise sort please

TIA

Russ

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
Last one I done I stripped everything off including doors and boot and called the local scrappy to uplift the shell for free.

If the engine and gearbox works I would def remove it. You can lower it on a pallet or two trolly jacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Didn't you just do the belts? Deffo sell the engine, someone may even come and remove it themselves.
No I didn’t, cambelt and dephaser were done in September, I have the invoice but given how little I have driven the car I would only want to sell it for spares. I’m petrified of selling someone something and it not being right or causing someone a problem.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
No interest in it on here? Shipping it would only be a couple of hundred tops so if the cars cheap enough someone will bite and save you lots of work.

Just park it around the corner when the Mrs is out and start ordering bits for the new one 👍🤣.

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
No I didn’t, cambelt and dephaser were done in September, I have the invoice but given how little I have driven the car I would only want to sell it for spares. I’m petrified of selling someone something and it not being right or causing someone a problem.

So you have a scrap car with an engine that is probably the most valuable thing on the car with new belts and dephaser last year.

If you were closer I would have the engine and box off you.

What is the reason for breaking it anyway?.

mart.z.s

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi A3 2.0T Quattro
local scrap yard to me comes with a skip lorry to collect shells ive had on the drive so long as the lorry can access it to lift it. Never bothered about money as just want the shell gone.

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
I’ve written about it a few times. I basically lost my rag with it. Car has no MOT, think the brake master cyclinder is goosed, Lambda sensor issue and a nasty ticking from what I believe is the AUX belt area. Plus it’s not what I deem to be
Tidy. Only thinking I’m gonna break it because I’m sick to death of the people I seem to be attracting. I’m not particularly tolerant, which is my own issue. But I can’t cope with idiots that chuck a low ball offer then ask if they can drive it away. 😂

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
local scrap yard to me comes with a skip lorry to collect shells ive had on the drive so long as the lorry can access it to lift it. Never bothered about money as just want the shell gone.
Neither would I be to be honest, just want a shell taken, just wondered if the chassis scrap covers the cost of the collection

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Neither would I be to be honest, just want a shell taken, just wondered if the chassis scrap covers the cost of the collection
There must be some value in a scrap chassis if local pikeys will take old fridges, dishwashers etc ........ half of which are plastic.

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
No I understand that but the cost of moving a car chassis is probably more than a fridge. To be honest if it cost something to move then I’d pay it. Just not £££. But glad to know, saves me making calls if I don’t decide to go that way.

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah. Your scrap values are a bit out of date. Full car is about £125/£150 at my local scrappy. If you are stripping it and leaving say 1/3rd of the weight then they are still covering fuel and making something.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
If you are sick of people low balling and asking stupid questions about the car as a whole I 100% do not recommend stripping the parts as you will have the exact same x100. Plus you then have to package parts, get people not paying PayPal fees, people asking where parts are when you shipped them a few days ago.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
last one i done i just put the shell free to a good home on facebook and a gypo in a transit recovery motor came and dragged it on with a winch. i had lifted it with the engine crane, took the axel stands out and dropped it on a couple of planks of wood to protect the drive when it was getting dragged.

mart.z.s

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi A3 2.0T Quattro
If you are sick of people low balling and asking stupid questions about the car as a whole I 100% do not recommend stripping the parts as you will have the exact same x100. Plus you then have to package parts, get people not paying PayPal fees, people asking where parts are when you shipped them a few days ago.

this 100%
having done this recently it’s a pain especially if one person decides there’s something Wrong when there isn’t. Or the courier loses the parcel so you have to wait a month for compensation. Plus parts will hang around a while.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
As above really, pretty in depth customer service task breaking a car and selling bits. If you just want it gone 99p no reserve and make sure you reiterate several times it needs to be towed away