ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What to look for when buying a Williams

I have a friend who is going to look at a Williams tonight and he wants me to go with him to give him my opinion.

Any tips for him on what to look for to make sure it seems a good one ?

Cheers,

Dai

Thanks for that but that link doesnt work and I know the site you are refeering to.

To be honest, I knew a lot of people on here would be able to answer my question so hopefully I can get the help I need here.

Thanks again tho.

Massey6465 & saxo1.1

Look out for a real stiff clutch,that would be on the way out.

If the gearstick moves about alot when you boot the car,the engine mounts are worn.

Accelerate in 2nd gear,then ease off,letting the engine slow you down. If the car pops out of gear the gearbox is worn.

Watch out for a blowing exhaust manifold.They are expensive.

Chris

Take someone with ya.. very valuable really.

When Mat and me went to look at the loads we did, we pretty much found problems with them all.. apart from the odd one or two. Two people, between ya, spot a lot more and can tell the good ones from the bad.

There are a million things to look for, but a lot are common sense.

Clutch, Steering, Paint (depends how picky you are), interior, engine bay, oil, heaters, oil pressure, gearbox etc..

Oh, be really picky about paint.. (i.e. No spray work) and get a true minter - might take a year or two tho.. heheheh. Again, depends how picky you are as to how long you wait/how many you look at. ;)

Quote: Originally posted by Summeh on 11 April 2005

lol dont get Daz started on paint.
:oops:

The amount of cars weve lost interest in by just seeing any sign of paint, like one spec of dirt in the laquer, one mask line etc.. ;)

Crazy, hahah.

[Edited by Daz on 11 April 2005 at 10:01pm]

Check for rust its bound to be a problem on 10 yr old cars perosonally thats the biggest thing as most other problems can be fixed, rusts there forever. If the clutch is realy heavy and has no biting poit it might just be a paddle clutch. You probably need to compare to another Williams to know the difference.

car? need a license 1st!

a stiff clutch pedal doesnt always mean a bad clutch. 9/10 yeah, but my RT had a real stiff clutch when i first got it.

Then the cable snapped (nasty habit on clios, ive had 4 snap on me in total over 2 clios).

When i replaced the cable, i realised that it was routed in the pedal properly. There is a little hook kinda thing on the top of the pedal that the cable has to run through, and the old cable was running over it, instead of through it, which caused it to wear away.

I replaced the cable myself, routed it properly, and now the pedal is a lot easier, more like it should be.