ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What would win on a track!!!

Pikey Truck

What Would win on a track between a clio 182 cup and a BMW 535d sport (275ish Bhp and 0-60 6.2)?

My dad seems to think the 535d! But i think otherwise!!

What Yall Think???!!

-=ChrisE=-

drivers, track, and what suspension does the BMW have? all will effect the outcome, the 535D has masses of tourque and for an executive bardge its a bit of a weapon.

Pikey Truck

Same Drivers for both cars, Monaco, sport suspension. i can see the bmw struggling up to the cup on monaco...

-=ChrisE=-

ive seen a 535 diesel auto bmw do 13 sec runs at pod ,so in a straight line hed win but ive also raced a 182 round a track and know how good they handle!!! but bmws handle pretty good by all accounts so ill vote for the beemer,,,which is sad cause id much sooner say the clio.

I think it would be even-stevens all told, but if youre talking performance per pound then the arguemt is already won

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

My father in law has one of these and it says 6.2 to 60 but id say it was quicker than that.They are lots quicker than a 182 and are on run-flat thick wall 18s.And they do handle very well.

My money is on the BMW.Plus the fact that its a twin turbo that delivers 272 bhp and 560 nm/torque.500 of wich come on song at just 1500 rpm

ian

[Edited by ian 182 on 17 June 2005 at 8:45am]

Quote: Originally posted by Roy Munson on 16 June 2005
I think it would be even-stevens all told, but if youre talking performance per pound then the arguemt is already won

but they are not :eek:

title say what would win round a track, not what is the best value for money :p

The Jinx

Ive had a 730D on the r/bouts of the A34 no trouble. Couldnt gain no him on the straights though. Would be close I reckon and entirely dependant on track.

At Ty Croes the 182 would have it, but elsewhere?....

Quote: Originally posted by Swervin_Mervin on 17 June 2005

Ive had a 730D on the r/bouts of the A34 no trouble. Couldnt gain no him on the straights though. Would be close I reckon and entirely dependant on track.

At Ty Croes the 182 would have it, but elsewhere?....

730 is A. sh*tload heavier than a 5 series. B. although it handles well for what it is its a large executive motorway muncher not a sports saloon with a fair amount of focus so i dont see how you can compare the two. Remember alot of 7 series owners will be driven not driving themselves.

Ive driven both the current 7 and current 5 and there is a big difference.

The Jinx

Thats what Im saying though. My valver kept pace with a 730 on the straights. Should be comparable to a 182 vs a 530.

BUT, the 730 I raced prolly had the 3L lump and not the 3.5. A 535D would be an interesting contest with a 182 I reckon.

Depends on the track very much so, and yes it would be close but I would go with the 535d...it maybe slightly slower in the corners..but then has one hell of alot of torque to get back upto speed.

Rob

Quote: Originally posted by Swervin_Mervin on 17 June 2005

Thats what Im saying though. My valver kept pace with a 730 on the straights. Should be comparable to a 182 vs a 530.

BUT, the 730 I raced prolly had the 3L lump and not the 3.5. A 535D would be an interesting contest with a 182 I reckon.
They are both the 3.0ltr lump..the 535 just has the twin-turbo setup but displacement remains the same..

Straightline speed there isnt a great difference between them.

On the corners the BMW wouldnt get close to the 182.

So the 182 on a track, without a shadow of a doubt.

^^ No both are 2993cc...whats even better is they should be putting it in the 3series from next year (335d), so should be quicker still.

Nippy white cup

I think it would be close but not sure which way. Id imagine the torque would make the difference, especially up that long hill after the start/finish straight + there arent that many really tight bends/chichanes (sp) which would be the 182s forte

Chris

why not race him?

I know the old man informed me that his new turbo diesel E-Class was faster than my Punto GT and Ive yet to have a problem with him.

MERCEDES CLS AMG

Quote: Originally posted by D4ve F on 16 June 2005

what if yoz is driving his cup against the bm?

The BMW would win as yoz2a,s cam belt would snap or he would lose it on the bend :p

Clio 182

Quote: Originally posted by Jeremy Townsend on 17 June 2005
Theres not a massive difference between them. Autocar have timed both182: 0-60 6.3 30-70 5.8 60-0 2.8535: 0-60 6.0 30-70 5.4 60-0 2.7

I would have thought the beemer would be a lot quicker than that from 30-70!

Quote: Originally posted by Roy Munson on 16 June 2005

but we are not.

Its like saying, if we a talking about parking in a 3ft wide space.

Quote: Originally posted by blink172 on 17 June 2005

BMs torque and RWD would get it round quicker.

BMW 5s a excellent handling cars despite their weight.

I had a encounter with a 530d in my cup and was struggling to keep up on a mixture of roads.

I have no doubt that the Beemer would be quicker round any track than a 182 cup, assuming driver and condtions were equal. Rwd driver, perfect weight distribution etc, they are designed to be a drivers car, clios are designed to by shopping trolleys (bar V6) and converted to be a drivers car, which is a compromise straight away !

Hell, my ibiza tdi would out drag my cup in a straight line.

VaVa

My god daughters father has a 530d and I can only just about hang on to it in my 172.....

I;ve driven it for about a 100 miles.... just because its heavy dont assume it cant handle. Its a very capable car. And actually good fun with the DSC turned off.....:devilish:

500 Nm torque and about 215 bhp iirc. Hes chopping it in for the 535d in November. It has an extra turbo that covers the lower end of the rev range whilst the larger turbo is off boost. So not only does it have 50 odd more horses and a good dollop of torque, it has virtually no lag!!

[Edited by lagerlout1 on 17 June 2005 at 12:57pm]