ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What would you do?

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Hi everyone,

New to the forum, used to have a valver mk1 years ago. Cars i've had up to now never put a smile on my face like the clio. Got around 8.5k to spend on a new motor. Thinking 197 or mk5 golf gti. Any 197 owners driven a gti, whats it like compared? e.g handling, performance compared to a 197?

Any comments would be much appreciated :rasp:

saxo vtr
182 trophy! i have no experience of either but ive driven older golfs and clios and if the newer variants are anything like them you will get bored of the golf very quickly

Yeah, thats what i'm thinking. The golf would probably get boring. Not really into low pressure turbo cars. Mom used to have a uk supra twin turbo, now thats proper turbo rush!

Thanks for all the comments guys. Love Trophys but want something newer. Going to see how much they'll give me for my beeza against the 197.

went to swap my beeza for the clio 197. Said to the chap, got any docs on if its been in a crash. Oh yeah the cars cat d. He wants 8,795 for it. Probably worth 6k. Was getting really excited, no way i'm gonna buy that. It'll be worthless come re-sale.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Most people that say the golf is boring haven't driven one. I actually prefer it to the 197. Quicker, better built, better steering, very good chassis. And better mpg.

You've got a point on the mpg. I haven't driven a golf either, heard that its a great car, but surely wouldn't have a chassis as honed as the renault??

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
You've got a point on the mpg. I haven't driven a golf either, heard that its a great car, but surely wouldn't have a chassis as honed as the renault??
Go and drive one. Bear in mind that most reviewers had it top of its class until the Meg R26 arrived. The chassis is very sharp, similar to a BMW in that the harder you push it, the better it gets. IIRC Weeman runs one, might be worth asking his opinion. And the interior is a great place to be. And if modding is on the cards, much cheaper on the vag engine.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
fanboys trophy or 197.
197 for me little step up ;)

Didn't know that Warren. Sounds like there a good car. How about insurance, is there much diff between group 15 & 17 in price. Insurance is high for me due to two claims in the last 2 years :(

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Depends. I know that a Civic Type R was cheaper to insure for me, despite being 2 groups higher than the 182.