ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What would you do?

"Navy" N17 TWO
Hi all,

I am looking at possibly upgrading some of my kit, have taken on
a wedding in October too so I'd like some better quality glass by then

I currently have;

2x Nikon D90's
2x MB-D80 grip
10x batteries
4 Sandisk eXtreme III cards

SB600
SB900

Nikon 10.5mm f2.8
Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 DC HSM
Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 Macro HSM
Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 Macro EX DG
Nikon 50mm f1.8
Nikon 50mm f1.4 AF
Nikkor 60mm Micro f2.8
Sigma 70-300mm APO DG
Nikon 70-300mm VR

Also have a UV filter on all the lenses and a bunch of
other filters (all screw fit)

I would like a longer zoom lens for birds
and airshow shots, and maybe the odd bit of sports photography

In bold are the items I think are best to move on, what would you do?

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
All looks well.. I would go for 35mm f1.8 not 50mm and maybe a good teleconvter for the 70-300 for a bit of extra reach if needed.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Think I'm done with getting primes lol

Would a converter on a 70-300 not make it VERY slow?

2.2 bar shed.
Mmm, depends what you want in the long run tbh. I've gone down the zoom route of a wide/mid range/70 - 200. Tbh I wish I'd gone for a 24 1.4/50 1.2/135 2 now, but thats life.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Something good & fast for the likes of Weddings and the extra reach for wildlife/birds (not in the same shoot though) ;)

To me, a body with amazing high ISO performance is a MUST!!

So I say get a D700 lol! Probably impractical.....but as you don't have uber expensive fast glass, you may struggle in a lot of cases.

Get rid of the 50mm 1.8 if you have the 1.4. I can't imagine the 70-300 being amazing optically either. How c0me you have two?!

Get rid of all the UV filters....waste of time. Just look after your gear better. I can't imagine any situation where you'll get scratches, and if you drop the camera, they'll do f**k all too.

Do you really need the fisheye lens? I can't imagine anyone using that at a wedding for sure! Very niche lens.

Sorry to sound snobby, but for wedding photography, you really do need s**t hot gear! And a D90 won't cut it for a lot of situations.

Nikon D700
I agree a lot with what Dan said. I've done a few weddings, and roll with:

Nikon d700
Nikon d300
Nikon 16-35mm f4
Nikon 24-70mm f2.8
Nikon 70-200mm f2.8
Nikon 1.7x Teleconverter
Nikon 50mm f1.8
Nikon SB900 Flash
Nikon SB600 Flash
Hahnel battery grip

I usually stick the 24-70 on the D700, and the 70-200 on the D300.

Weddings go s**t loads faster than you expect, and you will rarely have a chance to change lenses. I tend to carry a load of cards too, and switch them around lots. Then if one goes bang, you wont miss too much.

Hope that gives you something to go on...

"Navy" N17 TWO
Dan - an inspiration to say the least as I'd give an organ to have the gear you roll with lol or even the skill :eek:

I hear what you're saying I'm doing a "small wedding" in October for a friend but meanwhile I'm looking into what "s**t hot gear" to go for before I start taking on more of them and getting into it seriously.
It's my 2nd Wedding - first went well too thankfully :)

Hope buying a 2nd D90 a few weeks ago hasn't been a bad move in the long run lol but I get my use out of it in the nightclub.

2.2 bar shed.
If you're only going to buy one thing, buy a 2.8 70 - 200 imo. You'll get so much use out of one, maybe not so much in a club due to infernal smoke machines but for everything else they're fantastic.

A 70-200mm 2.8 is a fantastic lens. Pretty much every wedding tog will have one of those. I could almost do a wedding with just a 24-70 and 70-200. That's also an essential lens as at 200mm you can be out of the way but still close to the action. If you get a VR version, that is amazing in low light situations.

Weddings go s**t loads faster than you expect, and you will rarely have a chance to change lenses. I tend to carry a load of cards too, and switch them around lots. Then if one goes bang, you wont miss too much.

100%

You have absolutely no chance in changing lenses. All you do is miss something.

Two bodies is probably the most important thing.

At my last wedding the only chance I got to change lenses was at the brides house, where everything was at a slow pace as they were all getting ready.....and during dinner after the wedding itself. (where I don't normally take photos). Apart from that, you are on it 100% of the time.

I have to say I was surprised at the comments that you won't have time to change lenses and I mentioned this to a friend who has done some weddings and he agrees with you guys that you won't have time to change lenses!

Surely though if you have time to take a leak (which you will need to do at some stage!) a fast lens change isn't out of the question!

Nikon D700
Time to have a wee? No chance....

The only break I've ever got was when the reception are having their nosh. I spent this time copying and reviewing photos!

Go for a wee!!! No chance!

There's so much to think about, you forget you need the toilet.

To give you an idea of how 'on it' you are at a wedding, at my first, which was Jay's.....I was ill for a few days after from dehydration.....seriously! It was a stupidly hot day, and I didn't drink a thing all day. The thought just didn't cross my mind to drink or do anything else.

I love doing them and hate them at the same time.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Got a lend of a Sigma 70-200 f2.8 that a mate is selling - FAIL! Dam lens wont autofocus at all on either body so I think to hell with the 3rd party

Where's the cheapest place to pick up a Nikon 70-200 f2.8? :)

"Navy" N17 TWO
Anyone know if Jessops do any discount in-store if you were making a "big purchase" ?

Heard of people getting a chunk knocked off with them before not sure if it was praise or waffle though

I bought my 70-200mm from jessops. Of course they didn't offer any sort of discount, and I certainly didn't ask.

If you don't ask you don't get. But I'd be surprised if they five you any discount.

I got 5% off a lens purchase recently in jessops as it was a price match. In all honesty I would rather pay over the odds and get to try the end first than have to faff about trying to return a poor copy of a lens.