ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

An 18-200mm, but which one?

'03 1.2 Dynamique
I currently have:

10-24mm Tamron
18-50mm F2.8 Sigma
24mm Nikon Prime
70-300mm Nikon VR (FX Lens so about what, 105-400mm roughly on my D90)

Now I could be doing with a universal lens, that selection is fine when I'm actually going about with my rucksack wanting to take photos, but.... useless when say on holiday and just wandering about a city centre or whatever, as I always need to carry a couple of lens, hence why the 18-200mm would be useful.

Question is what one, they extend from the cheap £150 Tamron, to things up close to £1000.

Who has experience of these 18-200mm lens, and their usefulness as 'everyday' universal lenses?

Those type of lenses tend to be average at best, especially the cheaper ones.

It's sort of a 'cover all bases, does nothing that well' type of lens.

I'd look at something like the Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 lens. Gives a bit of range and it's brilliant.

The Tamron 18-270 is about £400-500 has good IQ for a 'scout; lens and is great for travel as its very small!

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
I bought a Nikon 18-200 off dan. Excellent lens I think it's about £500 brand new. Can't remember what I paid but I think it was around £300 definitely worth it.

I bought a cheap tamron £200 , slow and really noisy?!?? Returned that.

The Nikon 18-200mm VR was my first ever lens.

A great everyday, all in one lens. The VR was really useful at 200mm too, and in darker conditions.

Golf GTD Mk7
I'll be selling my 18-200 nikkor soon FYI. Just bought a new body, and I've got a bag that carries lenses, so I'm changing 1 for 3.

kwak ZX9R+golf gttdi
i was wondering the same thing,whats a good all round lens
as ive just upgraded from a canon 1000d to a luvly nikon d300??

An 18-200mm is a very good all round lens. If you're not too worried about having the sharpest or fastest lens etc, you could get away with that as your only lens.