ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What would you do?

2003 Clio 172
Purely hypothetical question at this stage, but if you had 5k to spend and you already owned a 172 that you'd already spent a fair bit on, would you:

A) Spend money on improving said 172, renewing and replacing parts, upgrading, sorting bodywork, etc. Maybe even an engine swap. Better the devil you know and all that....

B) Buy an already turbo'd 172/182.

C) Buy a Megane 225

Opinions?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Save the £5k and spend it on something else.

The Mk2 Megane isn't that much of an upgrade in the grand scheme and they're certainly no quicker unless you start messing with them.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
The ones i've seen have been reliable.

The 250 engine is far superior to the previous.

Shame they didn't carry on development of it with the new Mk4 Megane.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
save the money and enjoy the Clio for a while, then if you still have itchy feet sell up and move onto something else. Meg 250's will probably soon be within budget.

I certainly wouldn't put £5k into a 1*2 clio.

2003 Clio 172
Megane R26.

Unless you want to marry your clio , spending 5k is imo madness :)

Logically, I couldn't agree more.

However I've just spent the last hour or so reading through the storm grey 172 track car thread and I think I'm in love lol. That colour is epic on a 172. Considering nearly every panel on my car has scratches, scuffs, dents, etc, most of the car will need a blowover at some point, so storm grey could be an option. Not a 5k option, but still an option.... ?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Logically, I couldn't agree more.

However I've just spent the last hour or so reading through the storm grey 172 track car thread and I think I'm in love lol. That colour is epic on a 172. Considering nearly every panel on my car has scratches, scuffs, dents, etc, most of the car will need a blowover at some point, so storm grey could be an option. Not a 5k option, but still an option.... ?

Yeah that was a very nice car

172 Turbo
Chip (remember him?) has a 197 with a 250 engine, easy swap he did it in a weekend.

If I didn't have my 172, I'd buy an already turbo'd one. You'd be a fool to do it yourself, one sold tonight on eBay for £2500, less than the cost of the conversion!

Clio 197,with megan'
I run a 250 Engine Clio197, and running at 320/340, it is nowhere near its limits, and together with a 225 box, makes a very nice conversion, with plenty of power.The only thing I might change for, would be something like a Twingo, with a 225 transplant, or something similar.

RS Clio 182
Save the £5k and spend it on something else.

The Mk2 Megane isn't that much of an upgrade in the grand scheme and they're certainly no quicker unless you start messing with them.

A remapped R26 is much quicker than the Clio's imo,after driving both.

And yeah £5K is around decent R26 money....ridiculous value for money.

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
This is kind of what im thinking at the moment but,5k plus whatever i sell the cup for.
But im looking at R26,Mk5 Golf Gti something like that.
Looking for more of a GT type of car,used as a daily and trips away.