ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Whats a Dephaser pully?

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Been told my Dephaser pully is noisey.... Is this bad and how easy is it to sort out?

53 Clio's & counting
its the thing that operates the VVT mate, iirc its a bit of a job to change, at the back under the inlet manifold

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
It's on the end of the inlet camshaft, and it controls the valve timing, yeah.

Support the engine from underneath and remove the offside engine mount. Then remove the belt cover. You'll see that one pulley has a spidery-looking thing on the end, that's the dephaser.

Honda Integra Type R
Is it something thats best done when the cam belts done?

yes cambelt has to be changed.

Once the Belt is off u need a "Special" Renault Tool to remove the dephaser. Although you could improvise if ur confident enough

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Yeah, as Scotty said. It seems foolish not to replace both belts if they're even anywhere near due.

That's where the cost is, that Fred and I were on about. :(

BMW M135i
Is it something thats best done when the cam belts done?
Yes but it doesn't want to be left if its started making noises, failure swiftly tends to follow it and it will cause as much damage as the belt snapping. What noise is it making? Rattles on idle and goes when you pick the revs up?

A 172 should've had a belt change by now if it hasn't been done yet anyway tbh, even if it is a 53 plate do not leave it until dead on 5yrs.

Honda Integra Type R
It should only make a noise when starting from cold. If its doing it more than just at startup get it sorted ASAP imo

Up rocks
My engine is a bit whirry while slow manouvering, somone mentioned that could also be the dephaser pulley, that sound right?

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
TBH I have never noticed a noise from it, but teh car went into Renault a few months back and they came back with a couple of advisorys - Leak from Rocker cover - Quoted £1300 to do that! And a note to say that the dephasey was noisy.

Belt on my car is due in Dec this year and I was thinking of getting a quote from Ren-Tec to do the belts (Cam and Aux) Dephaser and Rocker Gasket.

Clio Sport 172
I recently got my belts changed. Soon after that the pulley started playing up. Cost me another 900 to replaced the pulley and another set of belts. Wasn't pleased.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
TBH I have never noticed a noise from it, but teh car went into Renault a few months back and they came back with a couple of advisorys - Leak from Rocker cover - Quoted £1300 to do that! And a note to say that the dephasey was noisy.

Belt on my car is due in Dec this year and I was thinking of getting a quote from Ren-Tec to do the belts (Cam and Aux) Dephaser and Rocker Gasket.

Sounds like a plan.

Sooner rather than later too.

The noise is normally a precursor to it's failure.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Did my cambelt, this thing broke, grrr paying for to cambelt changes in a year!