ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

whats the handeling like for a mk 1?

clio 1.2 8v
mk 1 1.8 16v and williams use torsion bar rear suspension. how does this compare to the more modern 172 and 182?

2004 ph2 172
I've driven neither on a track, but currently own both, and have driven them hard most of the time.

Mk1: With standard shockers on it, it sits well into the corners and is pretty responsive - close to a 106 rallye I reckon - by comparison I find my Mk2 ph1 172 to be more vague. I'm running Eibach sportlines and standard (but new condition) shocks on it at the moment - Ill be seeking advice later when I start to turn it into a track machine.

The Mk1 when I last had it running was on crap 185-55-15's and the Mk2 is on decent 195-45-16's.

clio 1.2 8v
cheers mate wantin a mk1 i think jus wanted some info on the hadelin. if your goin for a track car i would suggest ap coilovers at least.

The distinct differences in Mk1 handling are between the Williams and Valver.... Williams has better suspension, thicker anti roll bar and wider front track, very good handling and a lot of people use them on track with the standard stuff. Valver has a narrower front track and does not handle as well IMO.

Coilovers are not expensive for them compared to the Mk2s, as they do not have a rear spring setup, just a damper. 195/50/15 is usually the tyre of choice on 7inch wide wheels for the Mk1s, as it gives the best all round performance. The best upgrade you can do to a Mk1 (Valver) in terms of handling is fit the Williams (or 172 which is even wider) widetrack to be honest.