ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

whats the most bhp anyones got out of a 1.2 8v?

Aye Chris n Nic got 80 of theirs with just a IK and PBV...bit dubious of that tho. 80bhp with cam, headwork and altered fueling is defo obtainablely IMO.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
i would have thought more than 80 was possible? but i suppose you have to do an engine rebuild for that tho, like big bores ect. has anyone RR'd theirs?

Nippy white cup
Yeah mine had `82`bhp. Did seem like a bit too much ..not sure of ATW but the guy on the rollers said it worked out at just over 82 ATF. Had a PBV (which made a big difference), HUGE pipercross filter (they pissed me about for ages trying to get one so I complained and they got one from stock that you would expect to see on a big power cossie!) and a powerflow backbox. It was defo quicker than a friends 1.3 SR certainly up to 80mph althouh he had a passenger and I was on my own. I think the fact that it got ragged from day one helped it run well and it never missed a beat for the 2 years or so that I had it..

Chris

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
You mite as well tune it...RS's are just about as hard to get decent gains from!

ajkketley is a SPI 1.2 8V so a different engine...you can do more to his engine for less money as it shares a lot of parts (and mods) with a 1.4RT engine.

None
TBH i had a chance to test my car against a 1.2 16v and there was basically nothing in it at all - cars were side by side all the way to 60mph (only tested it to 60bhp) and theres no way on earth my car got an extra 15bhp from a replacement filter and cold air feed pipe. Only way I can think is my car being possibly lighter :/ Anyway with my 1.2 8v DIET engine my target is to get upto around 100bhp :eek:

Converting to 16v is fair enough but getting management is the problem...you'll likely need to go custom as the chances of getting (or getting it cheaply enough) the mk2 loom/ecu/immobiliser to work in a mk1 are slim.

Mk1's are a fair bit lighter than mk2...esp the baseline models.

Evo4, MITO, 172 TTV6
mitchzxr said:
ajketley has his at about 89bhp (well we will see on the BB RR day)

I did have 89bhp yes but ive been putting a lot of the beast back to standard now as im selling her. As someone said I started with the SPI 1.2 8v and it was the 1171cc 65bhp model not the 1149 60bhp model. I expect it is running around 70 - 72bhp now! I still will have a race with mitch down the strip if I still have my car! :D

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
sorry just noticed were talking MK1's here i thought we were talking about a MK2 Ph1.

best way to get a small engined car fast is better brakes and suspension and strip it so it weighs as little as possible then the usual induction kit, decat and exhaust

None
ajketley said:
I did have 89bhp yes but ive been putting a lot of the beast back to standard now as im selling her. As someone said I started with the SPI 1.2 8v and it was the 1171cc 65bhp model not the 1149 60bhp model. I expect it is running around 70 - 72bhp now! I still will have a race with mitch down the strip if I still have my car! :D

What engine work did you do to your car to get it at that level??

I aint listing mine until its done lol

None
Well basically err.. everything lol. I will keep everyone informed when its done in the media section :) I know alot of people think theres not much point doing it, get a faster car etc but I wanna be different ;)

Evo4, MITO, 172 TTV6
Maxx said:
Well basically err.. everything lol. I will keep everyone informed when its done in the media section :) I know alot of people think theres not much point doing it, get a faster car etc but I wanna be different ;)

lol...thats what I said at first! ;)

When it was running 89 I had prob spent over 1.5k and to me didnt seem worth the money! I had uprated brakes, suspension, clutch, full system exhaust and decat, induction kit, gas flowed, uprated cam, ecotech valve, stripped out!, prob some other things to but at mo its off my head!

You can fit most of the parts off a 1.4 but not everything, chips are the same so I found out!

Adam

The Beast MK4
Liking the sound of a power boost valve!

Only got a cat-back zaust on my Mk 2 Phase 1 1.2 8v, Would the panel filter im planning (K+N) and the power boost valve make that much difference for the £150 for the two products. Bear in mind there is no 172/182 coming for me in the near future unfortunately :(

Golf GTI 1.8T
The Fatty said:
would love to have 100bhp in mine....how are you doing it Maxx (what you planning?)

100bhp why?? its not exaclty anything to scream about!!

mk2 1.4 16v's have 98bhp and there not really quick. if you want 100bhp+ then put a rsi/valver engine in, or buy a new car. much cheaper than tuning.

None
mitchzxr said:
100bhp why?? its not exaclty anything to scream about!!
Why not :[

mitchzxr said:
mk2 1.4 16v's have 98bhp and there not really quick. if you want 100bhp+ then put a rsi/valver engine in, or buy a new car. much cheaper than tuning.

1.4 16v's are generally heavier cars, with the engine conversions I have thought about this but extra insurance, tax and fuel costs kind of put me off. With just tuning my car at least I can do it over time, be a little bit different, not after too much power and havent really got the money to go out and get a newer car. Also nothing wrong with the car I have that makes me want to get rid of it.

Evo4, MITO, 172 TTV6
I had a 1.4 chip on there. But in the future i would put a dastek piggyback unit in. Much better and only 100quid more.

You will only be able to have a power boost valve if you have MPI (throtle body out the side of the inlet manifold not ontop)

Like mitch said if you want 100bhp+ dont mod this just get an rsi. Though if you do really want to be different then, when I got my uprated cam in there was a 1.1 106 hitting 116bhp F**k knows how???

jonaldinho - if your getting a 172etc soon then yes that would be fine for now you may feel a difference in throtle response.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
cant afford the insurrance on anything more than a 1.2 tho. thats why i want to keep it/do it to it.

a 106 1.1 at 116bhp?!!! thats crazy high for 1.1!!!!!!!!!!!!! do you mean it was yours or you saw it?

Evo4, MITO, 172 TTV6
Nah, I saw it! Showed me power graphs and everything, was really impressive, thats kinda why I started mine!

But ive moved on now and want something more powerful, my car is up for sale now :(

Go for it mate, Yours should be the MPI model so like I said earlier you could get power boost valve, forced air induction kit etc which I couldnt

Rb 182
100bhp per litre from an 8v engine is just about possible but its going to require PROPER tuning methodologies

Stick on tat isnt going to get you there.

Multithrottles/twin carbs, mappable fuel/ignition management, 290-300deg camshaft, proper 4-1 extractor manifold and gas flowed cylinder head perhaps with larger valves and you may well see 100bhp from your 1200, you wont get anywhere near that otherwise.

its simply not worth tuning it when u can simply fit a larger engine.

Golf GTI 1.8T
The Fatty said:
cant afford the insurrance on anything more than a 1.2 tho. thats why i want to keep it/do it to it.

a 106 1.1 at 116bhp?!!! thats crazy high for 1.1!!!!!!!!!!!!! do you mean it was yours or you saw it?

well if your going to tune it, its not longer going to be a normal 1.2 and you will be stung on insurance for the tuning mods youve done...so how can you afford to tune it and insure it?