ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What's wrong with me?

2003 Clio 172
If I were to list all the negative aspects of a Clio 172 it would be fair to assume I hate them: Rubbish driving position, unrefined, noisy, quite poorly made and fragile with more rattles than a creche, there's probably loads more. However for some weird reason I don't hate my 172, I love it. Despite all these faults there's just something about it. The way it drives, the course note of that Renaultsport lump, I don't know, it makes no sense. It's just like a weird addiction I guess 😂

Yep I had a full on love, hate relationship with mine. Loved it when it was working and hated it when it wasn't. Sadly it finished me despising the thing and I just wanted it out of my sight!

Poopensharten

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I’ve had 6 Clio Renault Sports and bar one fucked earth strap stopping the Exclusive starting, none of them ever gave me any grief between 200k+ between them.

I’m not done with them yet either!

I’m on my 4th (I kept coming back to them after stints with bmws in between).

I’ve had a few issues with various ones over the years including a knackered gearbox in one, and an engine failure in another.

However, they can well and truly get under your skin so you end up forgiving them for their flaws and feeling sorry for everyone that hasn’t yet experienced one!

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
That moment when you're mid corner, weight loaded on the rear axle, and you plant the throttle with plenty of leeway to let off or continue with your foot down..

That's when I love Clios.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
I've had clio issues for over 15 years now, I don't think it'll ever change
reckon I've owned at least 20 as well, including many mk1 16v, Williams' and sports.
nothing newer than my current daily 182 FF however so all crap, old, rattly, badly made and just simply awesome! lol!

Horses for courses with the Clio, couldn't think of anything worse than using one as a commuter car doing 15k miles a year mostly motorway, on the other hand for the money I couldn't think of a better car if your commute is short with a few b-roads and is also used for weekend blasts.

I ended up making mine far to hardcore for weekend blasts and commuting 50 miles mostly motorway was pure hell when I had no choice but to use it. I wont be making that mistake again with my current 2nd car.

I agree with the above too. It's great on my short commute to work or on short journeys. The only time I think less of it is during motorway driving as the decat, KTEC stealth and Fatty induction drone :) So I end up hovering between 60-70 while everyone else wafts by at 90+ in their German Luxobarges

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
my commute is 12 miles and can choose the steady A road cruise through the little towns or B road back route for a spank
use it for work trips to Birmingham down the A38/M6 once a week too but that's fine as well tbh, janspeed is mousey quiet and sits at 80 (km/h officer) no worries