ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wheel Alignment, maybe..

1.6 16v dynamique
I've only been actually driving my car since last tuesday, but on the rare occasion I reverse up my drive, I end up in the hedge, even though my steering wheel is straight, so technically I should be going straight...
I let someone else try reversing it up, incase it was just me being stupid and they said they felt it pulling over into the hegde aswell.
So basically would it be that my wheels need aligning? Or is it just me being rubbish at reversing?
DSC00005copy.gif

EK4, 632 on black, Mk2Ph3
tracking! my car... rolled the to left when the steering wheel was aligned dead centre, i went back to the garage and go it re-tracked as they did a bad job.
tracking cost me £35 here.

EK4, 632 on black, Mk2Ph3
im not sure about your area, but i live in london, and its £35 so it should be cheaper elsewhere?
try a local tyre garage, maybe kwik-fit (not sure what theyre charge) and ask whether they do tracking, most should.

172 flamer
Im a technician working for a major manufacturer in a main dealer.
We get ALOT of customers coming in claiming their tracking is out.
Seems like your saying your tracking is out based on reversing up an uneven gravel driveway at slow speeds :rolleyes: .

I personally would check it on a level road at 40-60 mph. But remember roads have a camber - which DOES cause cars to drift to the left . My advise is drive it on a duel carrageway in BOTH lanes - so you can discount the camber of the road.

Also remember - there is a slight deviation of the toe set on the front wheels so you do slightly drift to the left - afterall if you fall asleep you dont want to drift into oncomming traffic.

Before you take it into you dealer, do the above. CHECK YOUR TYRE PRESSURES, and check the track rod ends and steering for play (jack it up and rock the front wheels side to side, there will be a knock and you can feel the play - but with engine off and steering lock off)

Hope that helps, and ill bet there is nothing wrong with it!;)

1.6 16v dynamique
Its fine going forwards, just backwards it doesn't like, so unless I drive down a whole road backwards... Lol.
And I never claimed my tracking was out, I was merely asking if there was anything that could be causing it to go to the left. Cuz out of three cars that park on my drive every day, mine is the only car that will go into the hedge, and it's not just me that it does it for.
I think I'll just take it to a garage and see what they say. Better to let them poke around on it than me, at least they stand a chance of knowing what they're looking for. :)