ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wheel refurb problems!

Ok my wheels were all looking good... after I gave them the final coat of silver I didnt sand them down. I think now I should have sanded them down with 1500 wet sandpaper after so they were smooth. After 3 coats of laquer the finish went a bit grainy, so to try and help this I sanded down with 1500 wet but its gone a bit strange.

Anyone reccomend what I should do?

Should I sand down wet to a layer of the silver... then do one or two more layers of silver spraying in between each layer?

Also are you supposed to sand in between laquer layers?

Cheers in advance:

Pics of whats happened:

PROBLEM2.gif

PROBLEM1.gif

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
All sanding should be done before laquer.The smoother you get it the better the finish when the laquer goes on...

ian

So should you sand the paint? Even if its metallic etc? I'm doing a little playing around at the moment, sanded the primer down and am doing the paint at the moment.

Alright.. looks like im gonna get it sanded down then to primer very smooth... then do one or two coats of primer and sand down in between each one... and 3 or 4 coats of silver sanding down in between each one.

How long roughly between each coat until I can sand it down wet?

Daz

Rb 182
Sand in between coats of primer and paint (1200) but not laquer, you need to flat it back with say 1500-2000 before laquring tho

hope this helps :)

106 GTi
When the Laquers coats are fully dry hard you can flat that back with 2000 and then polish to improve things further.

clio 172 flame red
sorry if this sounds stupid but you say polish after the coat of laqure .what polish would you recommend to give the best finish?

Trophy #473
G3 polishing compoud, if you can find it, big yellow bottle with G3 on it, then just polish with your normal 'glazing compound' mega shiny.

Monaco 172
Did you use laquer out of the can?

I have found it never gets a good finish with rattle can laquers