ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wheel refurb

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I've been quoted £260 to get my turinis refurbed, that's not with my tyres fitted and me supplying bare rims. Does this seem about right? It's a long way off the £80 city fefurbs charge but they're 2hrs from me unfortunately

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
£80 is so cheap I'd be worried on the quality of the job. I paid £250 to have my 18" wheels done at a reputable place in Northampton.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
I pay £160 for 4, tyres removed and refitted and balanced. I am in Scotland though so most things are cheaper!

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
yesterday I got quoted £264 for 4no 19" meg 250 alloys powder coated all black.

Also got quoted £48 for a 16" wheel to be spray painted silver.

That includes removing tyres and refit, plus balancing back up.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Quick google around your neck of the woods brings up these folk.

Have you asked them?

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Quick google around your neck of the woods brings up these folk.

Have you asked them?

It was the top link that quoted my that price too, waiting to hear back from Leominster powder coaters which is a bit nearer me, failing that it's worth the trip up to city powder coaters

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Both coming in at £65 a rim no tyre fitting/removal, it might be nice scenery around here but not cheap to get wheels done!

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
Both coming in at £65 a rim no tyre fitting/removal, it might be nice scenery around here but not cheap to get wheels done!

I use these guys for all my shot blasting and powder coating. I’m having a set of Turinis done soon (I’ve just gotta get the tyres off) . IN PINK!! He’s quoted me £40 a bare wheel. All the other stuff he has done for me are spot on so I have no doubt the wheels will be too.

Ps, Ask for Stuart and tell him Eddie With the Pink Clio parts sent ya. ?

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Think I will have a day out to get them done, be cheaper to get them delivered both ways at the prices I've got

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
This is the example of Bournes work. I dropped the parts off as per the pictures.

Attachments

• 05BD0B9B-B504-4F60-B837-01E6A766997F.png
    05BD0B9B-B504-4F60-B837-01E6A766997F.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 162
  • 2CE719CB-4F15-44A3-B985-07404743600A.png
    2CE719CB-4F15-44A3-B985-07404743600A.png
    5.1 MB · Views: 161
  • F0A52A70-A6BE-4C50-86CA-9C8AC0C923AD.jpeg
    F0A52A70-A6BE-4C50-86CA-9C8AC0C923AD.jpeg
    869.8 KB · Views: 145
I paid £300 something about four years ago from Lepsons (in Gillingham, Kent) 17" wheels collected with tyres, tyres off, refitted and balanced. Flawless service. I'd use them again 100%

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
What about centre cap painting? How do people normally colour match those? I'm guessing powder coaters wont do them
Nope, one place told me they could spray the wheels and caps rather than powder coat

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
So what's the general opinion on powder vs wet spraying? One place told me dont even consider powder where as others have said powder coat all the way

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
The one spray place told me powder coat was a bad idea and to avoid, suppose he wanted my business as he didn't do powder

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Powder is superb for track wheels

Proper paint for road wheels if you want the best finish

That's the division I've always used

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Only thing is with powdercoat you have to bake the full wheel which some people seem to think causes stress cracks/warping

Frankly it doesn't, you increase the heat more braking. The curing process for both methods is less than anchoring on at any track

Krarl

ClioSport Club Member
Frankly it doesn't, you increase the heat more braking. The curing process for both methods is less than anchoring on at any track
Aye I know mate, I think it's a load of b****cks. They're made from alloy metal, if wheels crack in an oven then it's either way too hot and being operated by a windowlicker or the wheels are absolute horseshite

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
£60 quid a wheel is sod all.

Jack up car
Remove all wheels
Remove tyres
Remove weights
Remove valves
Strip wheels
Inspect for damage
Bake wheels to degas them
Powdercoat wheels to an even finish
Clearcoat wheels to an even finish
Bake
Refit tyres with new valves
Balance wheels
Refit to car

Would you wanna do all that for only £60 per wheel?

If you’re good at something, never do it for free.