ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wheels caked in brake dust

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
I've got some wheels caked in brake dust, I've tried using AG Tar Remover on them which did nothing.

Any suggestions on something to get it off that is really strong? Don't mind if it affects paint, the wheels will be getting a refurb once they're cleaned up anyway.

330i. E30 Touring.
Iron X, Ferrous Dueller etc are the kind versions.

If you want something that does the trick and eats EVERYTHING on the wheels- wonder wheels from Halfords, or brick acid. Make sure you glove up for the last two as it's vicious stuff.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
wonder wheels hot wheels can be found for a few £ in supermarkets.

If you really don't care for the paint, their are strong acid and alkali based wheel cleaners that will strip off most grime and brake dust but will more than likely damage the paint.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Brick acid I hear works well.

I used Cilet bang on my old c2 wheels as they were properly grotty.

As above, don't bother. Acid strip and shot blasting (if done) will remove it. You're just wasting time, money and energy.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
The refurb will probably be a DIY job, because all the quotes I've had are ridiculous, and that place in Brum is too far for me.

Will Wonder Wheels do the business? Given that AG Tar Remover barely left a scratch, I thought I might be needing something with industrial strength; just how strong is Wonder Wheels?

twingo
a cloth and pressure from your finger with no chemicals other then good old H20 will remove all brake dust from all wheels. it's scary that nobody mentioned this. elbow grease didn't do anyone any harm!

Last edited:

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Scraping the brake dust back and forth is not ideal... Sandpaper will remove it but it's what damage you inflict whilst doing it that is the problem.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
a cloth and pressure from your finger with no chemicals other then good old H20 will remove all brake dust from all wheels. it's scary that nobody mentioned this. elbow grease didn't do anyone any harm!

They're not the standard Clio alloys though, they're Ultralaggeras, there are loads of nooks and crannies - If I can pay a tenner for some chemical to make the job take half the time, then I'd rather do that.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
The refurb will probably be a DIY job, because all the quotes I've had are ridiculous, and that place in Brum is too far for me.

Will Wonder Wheels do the business? Given that AG Tar Remover barely left a scratch, I thought I might be needing something with industrial strength; just how strong is Wonder Wheels?

Why would tar remover remove brake dust??

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Why would tar remover remove brake dust??

It's a good point; I've seen it suggested before as useful for tidying up alloys, and it was convenient to just grab some from Halfords. I think it's Tar and Grime or something along those lines... I'd expect it to do something even if minimal.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Depends how caked. I had some track wheels off sir_dave that I got refurbed because the insides were literally like welding sl@g from metallic pads. Iron-x barely touched them!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
That's impressive, get those results with the stuff you posted up on eBay?

Should do.

I use stuff called 'descaling acid'.

It's horrible stuff but you only need to use it once. Spray on, pressure wash off, protect the wheels and then after that just use normal citrus based/other weak crap to clean them.

Acid is really only for properly neglected wheels.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
13517293654_d7ff95c214.jpg
13517270564_43411901bc.jpg

They're like that in pretty much every corner.

I take it given their complexity, they're going to be a bit of a b*****d to perform a DIY refurb on?

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Oooft they been used with some race pads??

If you're planning on refurbing them straight after cleaning I'd go with Daniels acid option, Iron-X would take a few heavy hits to remove that I'd say.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If you're ever going by Bristol, pop in and I'll do them while you make my coffee and roll ups.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Bought the exact stuff you posted Dan, and went at them, still didn't do the job. I think what's left on is properly baked on, like etched into the paint.

I know a CNC guy who does a lot of work with ally, so I'm going to see if he's got any contacts who can help me out with shot/sandblasting and powder coating.