ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

When can i own a sport ?

Fiesta Silver Limited Ed.
Hey guys.....

Im 19 in november - looking at getting rid of my 1.2 now......
For something with a bit more power, dont know whether to upgrade a little in the engine size to maybe a 1.6? or just hang on save the pennies and eventually buy a 1*2....

I know i can pick a decent 1*2 for around "6000......

But when will the insurance companys even look at me??

How old were you guys owning your 1st sports????

nice....

i paid 1900 first year in my own name, then 690 last year....conversion is getting done in the new year and il be 19 then, so hopefully everything should work out!

I looked into it at 19, but the price was just a bit too much for me to justify.

It was a bit extra for the car and then a fair bit more a month on insurance.

Went for a 106 GTi in the end. That still cost me £1300 to insure with everything declared.

Mk4 .:R32
I looked into it at 19, but the price was just a bit too much for me to justify.

It was a bit extra for the car and then a fair bit more a month on insurance.

Went for a 106 GTi in the end. That still cost me £1300 to insure with everything declared.

a 106 GTi would be a good shout. nice little cars

178hp 172 Cup
it would b pointless to upgrade to a 1.6 if u want to buy a 1*2 in the end!! u will b wasting ur money IMO!!! either wait or bit the bullet and cough up for the insurance!!! my misses is 20 and insured her 182 and a friend was similar age and insured his trophy under his own policy!!!

Da

Less
About £50 - £100 less than me at a guess Lee? I'm sure you've told me, thinking about it... :)

Audi TT 3.2 V6
i waited till i was 21 before getting my st170, insurance on the st170 and 172 were both the same for me, £950 with greenlight fully comp.

Mercedes C Class Sport
these are so annoying to insure. hot hatches are annoyingggg. My mums about to get a cooper s, and i checked to see if i could be put on the insurance....£1800 with me on it and im 19, £250 on her own :mad:

Audi TT 3.2 V6
these are so annoying to insure. hot hatches are annoyingggg. My mums about to get a cooper s, and i checked to see if i could be put on the insurance....£1800 with me on it and im 19, £250 on her own :mad:

theres a reason for that though, and i truely beleive this cuz ive been there, done that kinda thing.

when i passed my test at 18 i drove round like a loon, calmed down a little at 19-20 then 21 came, i suddenly matured and drive alot safer now, not saying i dont have a play every now and again but i dont take every corner like im on a track.

what im basically saying is the odds of an 18-19 year old behind the wheel with something 170bhp+ are that they are likely to stack it. i know some do have 170bhp+ at that age and dont crash but alot do.

Iceburg 172FF
only just been able to get my 172 at 23.. insurance under a grand fully comp and im happy. dont think i could have managed at 19 though. I would go with the 1.6 for a year or 2.

RS 172
I've been wondering about this lately too. I find the online quote systems to be absolute crap; I've ran quotes pretending to be 22, and still had them come back at well over £2500 for a 172.
I'm guessing its best to actually ring up and speak to a person about it?

clio sport
insured with adrian flux just told them a story that i could get it cheaper else were made up a price now turned 25 insured my 172 for £390 years no claims tho just get ur cheapest price then take acouple of hundred off and 9 times out of 10 adrian flux will beat the price

Renaultsport
im 20 and ive got a 182,ive had quite high insurance group cars since i passed really. Had a 106 rallye 16v at 18, 306 gti6 at 19 now the 182 at 20.

At the end of the day its up to you whether you want to pay high insurance,or keep the 1.2 untill you have a few years no claims bonus etc.

These internet insurance things are crap these days, its always better to phone them up have a chat with them and try and knock them down, im sure they dream up the prices sometimes for a laugh to see if people will say yes or not! My last quote was silly money and a few minutes later after refusing to pay that sort of money and telling them ive been with them 2 years blah blah i got around 5-600quid off the original quote!

martynrg

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Im 21, and this is my first year on my own policy with no NCB. I pay £1,600 fully comp with Direct Line for my CS 182. That was the best I could find.

My previous insurer (CIS) said that they can't insure me on a CS 182 as I'm too young for the car!!!!

I don't know how some people go on about modifications to their cars on here though. Does everyone declare changes to their Insurers?? Because ive heard of insurance companies not paying out after accidents when some drivers have sprayed their wheels different colours!!

Martyn G

gen 7 celica
I got a 1.2 when i passed my test at 18 cost £1200 to insure for the first year. Got my 182 at 20 £1700 a year and when i turned 21 it went down to £900. Looking back i should have waited until 21. I could not justify paying over £1000 for insurance ever again. Just my opinion though.

350Z and 172 Cup
Wait a couple of years- you dont want it to eat up everything you earn. And in any case if you get a sport now you wont have anything to look forward to after that as they are the BEST cars in the world!! (Bangs for bucks)

320d
my dad is currently them main driver on my car i figured he could be main driver for the 1st year because i couldnt get a quote below 2000 so next year when i use the car all the time and am the main driver i'm gona have a good phone around but i thought it was better to use the car less than i'd like but gain a years experience, also have a years ncb on my scooter i can haggle with.

visualize whirled pe
Got to say, it aint all about the price of the car and the general running cost but the reserve you need if something goes wrong.

Recently the drive shafts have gone on my car and that is about £350 worth of work, it's a pain but at least I dont have to make the choice between having no car or taking out a loan to cover the bill, it's not much fun driving around in a car if you are constantly waiting for a dogy sound that lets you know it is going to end up costing £££££'s to put right when you have skint yourself just buying and insuring it.

I'd stick to a 1.2 or 1.4 and treat yourself in a few years, this is basicly what I am doing.

Cooper S
When I was 22 I paid £540 fully comp on my 182 in my own name! That was with Direct Line, with Cup Packs declared!

Last edited:
  Clio 172 mk2
172/182 isn't worth spending over a grand on insurance on...it's quick but not that quick

Best of waiting a while till your 20/21 to get it under the 1k mark

Clio 172 mk2
Does seem liek a very low quote

I was paying a grand or so for a crap 1 litre Renault 5 when I passed my test at 18

Shed.
youll get quotes.

if ypou can afford the insurance you should buy the insurance. youd be an idiot not to. just make sure you have a good job to be able to afford the running costs of it all.

BG 182
Ive recently insured my 172 for 1800 fully comp and im 19.. Seems like a lot, but out of all my friends and many others who hang around in the same croud.. I would smoke them every time :)