ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

When to shift, shift light?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Took the long way home and had this thought, when is best to change gear. This is only really a track thing as I like my license. But what's peoples thoughts, do you guys use a shift light. Interesrsd in the feedback chaps.

turbo 182
On my standard ( rs tuner ) 182 I changed before the redline as it dropped off once I got into the red, plus if you hit the limiter that's going to be slowing you don't aswell

Mechanical sympathy ftw

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Mine makes power to 7500rpm, and it was ARP rod bolts but I still tend to change 7200rpm at the most unless its a long corner and I need a few more revs etc

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Ok cheers. Yeah I tend not to nail it in first on track lol. I guess it's trial and error but I think I would benefit from some sort of shift light thingy.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
This is where I've got mine installed. It's one of the DRE ones and it's simple to install. 3 wires - 12v +, -, coil pack signal.
image.jpg

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Cool. I like the idiot proof part, stands me in good stead to not make a mess. Next question, price? I'm hoping they arnt much dollar?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
After a quick search, £90. If nothing a bit cheaper and works the same, may ask Adam to lend me some of the force for beer money.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
I'd be happy enough with something I can set at say 6700 ish. Do the cheaper ones online accommodate this or is it the dearer ones that do?. I know these may be daft questions but I've never really thought of getting one. Tbh no idea what made me think of it on the way hone. Because racecar at a guess lol

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I'd be happy enough with something I can set at say 6700 ish. Do the cheaper ones online accommodate this or is it the dearer ones that do?. I know these may be daft questions but I've never really thought of getting one. Tbh no idea what made me think of it on the way hone. Because racecar at a guess lol
Yeah it's a very user friendly product mate tbh. The omex one works in the same way as well.

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
Just replied to your PM
Mines the DRE one @NorthloopCup suggested it to me and it's great, I had a faulty unit first, it was not picking a signal up but it was sorted out quickly.
I was going to get the Omex one first but it seems a bit more fiddly to fit as the control box is separate from the lights and it need to be got at to adjust the settings, where the DRE one is all in one unit.
photo13_zps7a08f298.jpg

you can see it working here

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Does anyone do one that works more like they do in F1?

Where half the strip of lights come on one by one then the second half illuminate together?

That's how I'd want one, seeing half come on at once in your peripheral vision is a lot easier I'd imagine than trying to gauge if the last increment of one LED is the third, fourth or fifth.

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
Does anyone do one that works more like they do in F1?

Where half the strip of lights come on one by one then the second half illuminate together?

That's how I'd want one, seeing half come on at once in your peripheral vision is a lot easier I'd imagine than trying to gauge if the last increment of one LED is the third, fourth or fifth.

Its not needed
Once the first light is on you instantly know (providing it is placed in the correct position) and as the first two are different colours to the second two you know you are getting close to the limit then a really bright red LED then if you miss all that it flashes

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Its not needed
Once the first light is on you instantly know (providing it is placed in the correct position) and as the first two are different colours to the second two you know you are getting close to the limit then a really bright red LED then if you miss all that it flashes
They're f**king bright as well when they do flash!