ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

When to shift, shift light?

Iceberg 172cup
I'm interested to know how you guys have wired them also
You say idiot proof so I'm sure I am capable of doing the job. Just like to make life easier by going straight to the correct wires without trial and error lol

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I'm interested to know how you guys have wired them also
You say idiot proof so I'm sure I am capable of doing the job. Just like to make life easier by going straight to the correct wires without trial and error lol
Well you need to find a ignition + and an earth point from around the dash area. The earth can be the dash bar basically, or anything metal that's attached to the bodyshell. The ignition positive needs a multi meter to locate, but there's one in the wiring for the wiper/indicator stalks.
The signal wire for the coil pack can be found at the ecu or the coil pack. You can take a pick of either pin 1 or pin 32 at the ecu plug. One wire is orange and the other is cream/off white.
Alternatively if you take it from around the coil pack DO NOT take it from the thick white wire. This is the 12v supply for the coilpack itself.

Once that's done configure the DRE shift light to work in 2cyl mode as it won't work in 4cyl due to only seeing spark signals for either 1/4 or 2/3.

Easy.

Mine came today, won't have a chance to fit it before tomorrows track day unfortunately :grimacing:

BBC3A9A4-1ABE-4773-9BF4-84433547B1EB_zpsj3kgnz15.jpg

I'd like some opinions please!
The fitment shown by the two Marks in the thread won't work for me as it's obscured, so A or B

I quite like A but worried it's a bit 'in your face' and may be annoying/distracting as they're bright, is B the safer option?
Pics taken from ~ my eye line

A
6962C3B6-A8CD-4519-BA4E-42A2D3E85D7A_zpszbtvbhiw.jpg

B
859B95F0-F431-4C7C-91CD-FBE2A02AAD51_zps1m8lllpl.jpg

Last edited:

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
A would be the best as it is directly in front, don't worry about them being bright because when you are concentrating on the track they don't seem to bad, and you want to see them without looking down.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
my cup is on standard map and never saw much benefit to taking it past 7000rpm, Trophy is on Fastchip 98ron and still isn't tailing off at 7500rpm but ive never taken it any higher!

182cup & 172 racecar
Position A
Set it up so that it only starts to come alight at the top of the rev range, pointless having green lights on at 4k.
Thats alright for joeys down at McD's, but you only want to know right at the top of the rev range.

Mines right in front of me, and tbqh i hardly notice it, but I do know when it starts to flash on red.

Position A
Set it up so that it only starts to come alight at the top of the rev range, pointless having green lights on at 4k.
Thats alright for joeys down at McD's, but you only want to know right at the top of the rev range.

Mines right in front of me, and tbqh i hardly notice it, but I do know when it starts to flash on red.

thanks Tony, I planned on the lights starting at 6k and going red ~6800 as I always change just before 7k anyway, does that sound ok?

I have always thought about getting a shift light for the race car but never got around to it.

I might just have to buy one of these.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I'm waiting to hear back from a company called Shiftlight.co.uk. They look to have the same thing but half the price

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Well you need to find a ignition + and an earth point from around the dash area. The earth can be the dash bar basically, or anything metal that's attached to the bodyshell. The ignition positive needs a multi meter to locate, but there's one in the wiring for the wiper/indicator stalks.
The signal wire for the coil pack can be found at the ecu or the coil pack. You can take a pick of either pin 1 or pin 32 at the ecu plug. One wire is orange and the other is cream/off white.
Alternatively if you take it from around the coil pack DO NOT take it from the thick white wire. This is the 12v supply for the coilpack itself.

Once that's done configure the DRE shift light to work in 2cyl mode as it won't work in 4cyl due to only seeing spark signals for either 1/4 or 2/3.

Easy.
@MarkX @Mini182 this is what I posted further up the page about wiring the DRE shift light in.

I rarely use the full revs but its nice having the standard one as a back up just in case. I think the Twingo 133 I had has the best system, I can't remember for sure but I think theres some sort of warning and then the light goes bright green to change up. Like I say I can't remember exactly what it did just that it was very effective.

Well it's fitted, bit meh about it tbh, not sure I like it, maybe come alive and be useful on track, but I find the LEDs hard to read on the road, but of a blur, maybe I need to start the sequence earlier or even later to run them together more......6100 to red light at 6800 and flash at 6900. I'll report back after my next track day.
For anyone wondering about connections, I used the old +/- 12v from the head unit void, then ran a cable to the engine bay through the bonnet release grommet in the passenger foot well as per Mark, then tapped into the orange wire to the coil in this conduit...
FE3C1EB7-BFB1-4940-A2CD-79E0564F140D_zpssbzqm1zh.jpg

8CA2C8E3-87C8-49B6-828F-DE7CD7BF5980_zpsgiqdvmnh.jpg