ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Where do i stand with car dealership ? Some info and help from the cs lot :)

Golf TDI
i just picked up my new mk 2 ph 1 172 on friday . i brought it from a trade car place as i have always heard bad stuff from going private as you never have a leg to stand on if things go wrong . i paid £2695 for it which from a garage i think is quite good seen as they average this price privately . the car only came with 2 weeks warranty :dead: which i beleive is quite s**t !! the warranty covers major mechanical breakdown .. i got off the forecourt only to find my speedo was tempramental and they told me bring it back on monday ( tomorrow ) and we will sort that out for you ! also the revs have been sticking on 2000 rpm , so after a quick phone call they said they will also sort out for me monday . since the phonecall iv now found a few other faults , non being too expensive. one is though , basically all the belts seem to be making right noises , very noticable one the engine is on !! :nono: rattles , squeeks etc . so when i take the car back tommorrow ,im going to mention this ...but as iv handed over the cash how likely are they to sort this ?? im going to let them know all the other problems and say il sort them under the condition you sort the belts , speedo , and revs . are they likely to change them for me ? where do i stand with the garage ? and do i have any come back ? despite these issues im in love with the car :eek: :) hoping maybe there are some car salesman etc online

Mondeo 2.0LX & Volvo V50
Re: Where do i stand with car dealership ? Some info and help from the cliosport lot

Did you test drive it? Surely some of these faults would have shown up on a test drive. To be honest, if they have sold you something with loads of faults on it, they aren't likely to sort them out as they would have sorted them before putting it on sale.

SchwepTek™
Re: Where do i stand with car dealership ?

Mate, dont wanna be rude or anything but you should have inspected the car properly first before handing over the cash.

Your going to have to make them sort it out if you only have 2 weeks warranty.

Make sure they dont bodge it though!

did you not test drive it? tbh mate i would ask to return the car as if you have these problems now it sounds like a bad'un!

Mondeo 2.0LX & Volvo V50
Re: Where do i stand with car dealership ? Some info and help from the cliosport lot

i just picked up my new mk 2 ph 1 172 on friday . i brought it from a trade car place as i have always heard bad stuff from going private as you never have a leg to stand on if things go wrong . i paid £2695 for it which from a garage i think is quite good seen as they average this price privately . the car only came with 2 weeks warranty :dead: which i beleive is quite s**t !! the warranty covers major mechanical breakdown .. i got off the forecourt only to find my speedo was tempramental and they told me bring it back on monday ( tomorrow ) and we will sort that out for you ! also the revs have been sticking on 2000 rpm , so after a quick phone call they said they will also sort out for me monday . since the phonecall iv now found a few other faults , non being too expensive. one is though , basically all the belts seem to be making right noises , very noticable one the engine is on !! :nono: rattles , squeeks etc . so when i take the car back tommorrow ,im going to mention this ...but as iv handed over the cash how likely are they to sort this ?? im going to let them know all the other problems and say il sort them under the condition you sort the belts , speedo , and revs . are they likely to change them for me ? where do i stand with the garage ? and do i have any come back ? despite these issues im in love with the car :eek: :) hoping maybe there are some car salesman etc online

I think you have answered your own question in a way.

Where do i stand with car dealership ? Some info and help from the cliosport lot :)

I'd give it back & get a refund tbh.

Hyundai i40

defo take it back....and find one in better condition

Golf TDI

just found this on the trading standards site and if iv read into this correctly basically can i go down there tomorrow and demand they change the belts or my money back ??

Action to take
If you have bought a car from a trader, which turns out to be faulty or which you think has been misdescribed, you need to take action straight away.
The Sale of Goods Act 1979 states that, if you can show the goods to be faulty, not fit for their purpose or misdescribed, you have, for a short time after purchase, a right to reject them and get a refund of the purchase price. Therefore, if you have only had the car for a very short time, have only driven a few miles and you discover a major problem, you are probably entitled to reject it and get your money back plus the return of a ‘traded in’ car, if there was one, or its value if it has been disposed of.
If you decide to reject the car, stop using it at once, contact the trader to discuss the matter and make it clear that you wish to reject. Follow up this approach with a short letter explaining the nature of the complaint and confirming that you wish to reject and get your money back. Try to make an appointment to discuss the matter with someone responsible at the garage but, remember, if you wish to reject, it is important that you put it in writing as soon as possible. You can accept a repair for a major fault but this won’t stop you claiming a refund if the repair turns out to be unsatisfactory. It is best to make your position clear before any repair is attempted.
You should bear in mind that the law only allows consumers a short time to reject goods before, in the legal sense, they have ‘accepted’ them. This means that you have had the goods long enough to establish that they are satisfactory or that you have told the trader that you have accepted them. Only a court would be able to make a decision on this point but would take all relevant factors into account.
If the fault was present when you bought the car, you do have other remedies, even if you have left it too late to get a refund. You are entitled to seek a repair or replacement. These have to be carried out within a reasonable time and without significant inconvenience to you. If replacement or repair is not possible, then the law allows for the options of full or partial refund. Each case would be judged on its own merits.
The onus is normally on you rather than the trader to prove a claim, i.e. that the car is defective in some way. However, the law now states that if you are claiming replacement, repair, full or partial refund within the first six months of ownership, the onus is on the trader to prove that the goods were acceptable when they were sold. This is called the ‘reversed burden of proof’.
After six months, it is up to you to provide evidence to support your claim that the car was defective when it was sold, so you may need an independent report. If you need to pay for a report, which can be used in court, try to get the trader to agree beforehand that the report can be used as a basis for negotiations. Write to the trader to suggest this, so that you can show you have tried, but you should not let failure of the trader to agree or respond prevent you from getting an expert report when you need one.

C

clvs2222

like i said to you the other day mate, i doubt they'll do he belts as its "wear and tear". was kinda an impulse buy though wasnt it.

Golf TDI
^^ yes but armed with the above statment from trading standards can i not tell them i want the faults to be repaired or my money back otherwise i will take you to a small claims court !

Hyundai i40
you wouldnt get the belts done tho, but you might get the car 'fixed' that might include replacing the belts etc

You can yeah, just don't go in all guns blazing as they'll tell you to get lost.

Personally i'd wash my hands of it.

C

clvs2222

as i also said, it could be the belts were replaced by a back streeet garage and they didnt time it correctly or didnt use the proper lockers which has resulted in it being out a MM or so.

M2 Competition
They'll offer to repair the faults, and it'll go over months and months dude.

Id just ask for a refund tbh.

SL.

Valver
Just take the car back to the garage and get all your money back, as said before the car sounds like it hasn't been treated as well as it could have been.

Then buy one off Cliosport ;)

C

clvs2222

You can yeah, just don't go in all guns blazing as they'll tell you to get lost.

Personally i'd wash my hands of it.

yea, true.

if they say they arent going to do the work, then say you dont want the car anymore. even though it is a very nice car, theres plenty out there. just keep looking (im on my 3rd month of looking, everyday!) :boring:

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Tbh i'd never buy a car from a dealer that only gives a 2 week warranty . It doesn't instill much confidence that the cars they sell are decent quality . Sounds like you've got a catalogue of problems that need fixing . Sometimes buying a cheap motor doesn't always turn out to be the bargain you think it's going to be unfortunately .

mk2 clio grande
i had the same problem i bought a my mk2 phase 1 1.2 grande from a garage where i live and when i went to c it it was spot on not a scrach on the paint engine run sweet as a nut and i signed all the paperwork and they said to pick the car up in 2 days so went down to pic it up and i was happy but after i took it out i went onto the bypass and there was a knocking coming from the wheel, handbrake went up 15 clicks and wasnt bolted to the floor properly, the cars lights kept cutting off and the cd player kept turning off aswell as the problem with the speedo not working.
me being me i honly had a 7 day warranty and they said to take it back in and they will sort it the only thing they done was sort the knocking and they kept it in for the full 7 days and when i went to get it it was still fucked and i went and said to them and they said its nothing to do with them my 7 day warranty was over.

was well pissed off and now ive spent a fortune on it but its all fixed not thank god lol
they defo seen me coming

Golf TDI
Tbh i'd never buy a car from a dealer that only gives a 2 week warranty . It doesn't instill much confidence that the cars they sell are decent quality . Sounds like you've got a catalogue of problems that need fixing . Sometimes buying a cheap motor doesn't always turn out to be the bargain you think it's going to be unfortunately .

precisely what my father said to me , that two weeks warranty doesnt fill you with much confidence ! he said that nearly 100 % of the time its atleast a month . im going to ask calmy that all and i mean all the faults iv found are to be repaired and if he says il only do this and this , then i will pull out the " trading standards act " bullshit and threaten him with small claims court . he might call my bluff though and tell me to go for it , then what do i do lol because it costs quite a bit to do that , probably the same as getting the faults repaired .

refund for sure.

on a side note, revs sticking at 2k is common. the throttle cable corrodes meaning it sticks in its housing. New cables are only a few quid.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I'm not that clued up on small claims courts , maybe some people on here have some experience of it . I would assume if you won that any costs incurred by yourself would be paid by the dealer if you won . Maybe a search on google will give you a bit of an idea . Sometimes local solicitors offer free surgeries , could be worth ringing one and seeing what the score is .

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/infoabout/claims/index.htm

Golf TDI
if theyre only a few quid i want them to fix it for me ! lol i do like the car so basically i want to get as much for my money ( fixing wise ) as i can !

Tbh though they'll fix the bits then by the sounds of it loads more will go wrong soon after, sorry but that's how it looks at the min.

Golf TDI
^^^ tell me about it ! tbh i should have gone through the car with a fine brush . but i didnt , its too late for that now . i just want the problems fixing or my money back . im sure they would rather just fix the problems than have the hassle of a young lad taking them to court >! surely . is getting the cambelt changed a bit too much to ask ?

Golf TDI
ok , good sound advice tbh . although how likely is a car salesman to just turn around and say heres your £2695 ! ? he may say you signed the line and parted with your cash . and il be stood there like :S now knowing what to say to that .

330Ci Sport Convertible
I understand you wanting to buy from a trader for the peace of mind etc, but a trader that offers a 2 week warranty?

Alarm bells would have gone off as soon as they mentioned it.

Some good advice can be had from the CAB,give them a call if the trader does not want to play ball.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
refund for sure.

on a side note, revs sticking at 2k is common. the throttle cable corrodes meaning it sticks in its housing. New cables are only a few quid.

It could be that... or it could be the following...

Vacuum leak in the plenum, bent/corroded gasket etc.
Faulty ICV.
Dirty TB.
Leaking breather

I'd just take the car back and demand i full refund. The car sounds like a reet hound.

I can't believe you bought it without test driving it though. :rolleyes:

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R

Which one is it???

take it back and get a refund mate. i was sold a "sold as seen" for my first car. kept having problems with it when i fixed one problem another came up. a year down the line i got sick and i part ex'ed it for my clio:)

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
tbh, i think your stuck with it, you signed on the dotted line you agreed to buy the car in the condition it was in... test drives and inspections are the time to pick up faults not when yiu buy it.

they may offer to buy it back.. but it would be for how much you paid, thats for sure

1 Series Coupe
Check anything you signed fella. They may have small T&C that apply when buying a car from them.

I'd ask for a refund if there's nothing in theT&C's. Wash your hands of it, and buy a better one. Did you rush into buying it? Did you test drive it?

as someone else has suggested, CAB might be your best strating point if the dealer strings you along.

i thought that all second hand cars sold through a dealer were covered by a statutory 3 month warranty (by law) - is that not the case? not that these 'warranties' cover much, though..

i had more than a little trouble with the dealer who sold me mine and spent several months chasing them, whilst they continued to take the piss. the Trading Standards route is hard work. if you've not long had it, i'd seriously consider looking into whatever rights you might have to be rejecting it (? - CAB) as, once things drag on, it becomes harder and harder to resolve.

good luck in trying to sort it

I had a similar problem when I bought a car a few years back. Though they agreed to do the cambelt as per manufacturer's recommendations, but they just changed the belt, and didn't even time it up correctly.

They did offer my money back, but I got a really good deal on the car, and just wanted them to pay to have it done correctly as I stated.

Went to small claims (cost £50) and they ruled that they should pay the £500 to have it done properly. Result. Small claims is easy, but a bit of hassle, so maybe try and get a refund first.

Golf TDI
just to make it clear , i did inspect the car ( although probably not good enough ) and i did test drive it ( again probably not long enough ! ) took the car this morning and tbh i dont think they want the hassle so they just told their mechanics to do what ever jobs i wanted !! RESULT :) im going back at 5 and they will let me know what the noises are etc and order parts in .