ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wheres the bloody 182 on top gear!

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355

I think the review was good, but it does seem like they have to go out of their way to find faults.

The bit where he slates the carpet, and being able to see screws and bare metal was a bit unfair. Im not saying the carpet is great, but as for the screw and bare metal, that was because he had the back seat pushed forward!!.... 99% of the time these wouldnt be visible. Hardly worth making it gold plated is it....

As for the dash being made of plastic....... well thats a new one on me, I thought they were made of granite:p. Personally I think the interior of the clio is superior to most in its class. It might have its rattles which is a definite build quality issue, but I far prefer it to the boring flat expanses of shiny plastic (albeit high quality plastic) in the Seat Ibiza for example.

I personally find the driving position fine with the drivers seat in its lowest position, but i know some people dont like it. I cant understand the criticism of the pedal room either. Theres even room for a foot rest, something you dont get in many cars of its size. Hes obviously never driven a Saxo, then hed know what limited foot space is like.

Rant over..... :oops:

Otherwise he summed it up quite well ;)

Ang

Pink/Blue 182

I liked the review...and clarkson, he makes me laugh......its nice to see a normal car reviewd for a change rather than something that hardly anyone can afford.

I know he sl*gged it a bit but it hasnt changed my opinion of mine, i still love my little puppy!.......and we all know renault build quality isnt fantastic......but like he said you cant get faster for cheaper :D

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

To be honest his review was accurate of the car you are buying.

As he quite clearly said, this is the quickest car you can buy for the money - what do you expect? Surely its bound to be a little rough around the edges and it is. Cheap cars generally are.

Yes the seating position is pants, the dash is plasticy and the general finish of the car isnt the best. But is that what were buying it for??

Thing is though, as he said, its fun. Should we just leave it at that? I think so.

Now go and plan with your Puppys.

Oh and for all those people who are going to whinge on about the Clio Cup reference on the board - get out more.... jeees... lol

E55, KitCar & '85 Quattro

yeh i think it got a good review...

quite like the way it went round those bends tho! i mean most cars the inside rear wheel bobs up once or twice, but coz of the grip from those exaltos the inside trailing wheel was up on the whole corner! looked so cool!

Quote: Originally posted by Si172 on 14 June 2004

To be honest his review was accurate of the car you are buying.
Agree, everything he said.. has been said on here before..

Bad Seating Position, Badly put together, but quick.

i dont think the seating position is that bad! i have driven worse cars! saxos for one! the pedals are offset to the centre of the car soooo bad!

Lee

BMW M2C

When I first got mine I hated the seating position, but now its mutated my body over the last 12 months its fine.

Good review. Makes me want one, infact going to check out insurance now!

Am i correct in saying he got the torque figure wrong! Its 200 but he said 158 or something. Deff not 200 anyway. Got it taped will need to check again.

He stated torque in Lb/ft and not in N/M if Im not mistaken. If it had a turbo itd be 200 lb/ft, but It doesnt.

[Edited by huw182 on 14 June 2004 at 6:24pm]

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped

Ive size 10 feet, should i cancel my order!

Opinions from people with 9+ feet size is appreciated after watching it:p

Depends what sort of torque youre talking about.........

Nm (Newton Metres) or lb/ft (Pounds per Foot)

Clio 182 has...

148 lb/ft of torque which = 200Nm of torque

Torque is traditionally quoted in lb/ft.

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by Leo182 on 14 June 2004

i have size 10s and that is b****cks, there is loads of room, in fact there is twice as much as i used to have in my 106 GTi and I got on with that!

Nothing to Worry about

C4 Grand Picasso

All the build quality problems he pointed out makes no difference to me, seeing it flying round the track on 3 wheels makes me want one more than ever.:D

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped

Quote: Originally posted by dave182 on 14 June 2004
i have size 10s and that is b****cks, there is loads of room, in fact there is twice as much as i used to have in my 106 GTi and I got on with that!Nothing to Worry about

Right, cheers Dave, ill not cancel the order then;)

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S

Quote: Originally posted by 172cup_nut on 14 June 2004

ok, im going to say it as everyone seems to be avoiding it, IT BEAT THE V6 ??WHATS THAT ALL ABOUT
The V6 was a wet lap.

Lee

BMW M2C

I drive in size 10 Adidas trainers, or 9 Nike. I have absolutely no problems at all. A good few years ago I tried a 106 GTi and couldnt drive it in trainers.

How true that is about the amount of space in the drivers footwell compared to the 106 GTi - glad to hear others voicing the same thing that went through my mind when Clarkson said what he did.

Its also worth remembering that Clarkson (along with Tim Harvey iirc) rated the humble 106 Gti as the second best handling car a few years back so clearly he is not in any way biased against the tiddlers. The Pug lost out to the 550 Maranello but that is hardly a disgrace when you look at A) The respective prices and B) The other cars that it beat which included many exotics ....

CLIO WILLIAMS #0215

was the williams reviewed on top gear all them years ago when it first came out????? was it slated or did it do well?

I have size 11 feet and it doesnt cause me any problems with the pedals

172 FF

Pedals are sound. Ive got size 12s.

the seating position did seem a bit like driving a bus when I first got mine, but I got used to it now.

Embarrassed to say

Do you think Clarkson’s review of the 182 will warn off a lot potential buyers and make them cheaper for us car enthusiasts. Hopefully hes done us a favour and sent a lot of potential buyers to the safe ctr.

I’m still being quoted in the £13s and yet even my mate got one from a dealer for about £12800 so I’m holding out.

Is it repeated on BBC3 or anything? The &*(&ing mailto:B@stard">B@stard w&*(nking sky plus box we got didnt record it properly...

Clarkson makes me laugh. The lanky mailto:tw@t">tw@t cant fit in any car smaller than 20 foot long so he blames it all on poor driving position

I did find the footwell in the 172 a bit cramped til I got used to it and Im only a size 10.

In the end though you still cant beat a Clio Sport for pound-for-pound performance.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

the footwell in the 172 aint cramped.. i got size 11 feet too and its fine ! can even heel/toe although its more brake pedal on one side of my foot accellerator slipping on my other side.

ClioSport 182

Unfortunately Top Gear has not found its way onto Spanish television over here, and Im still waiting for the tape to be sent over.

I was told that Top Gear reported that the 182 has NO STAR rating for safety. Is this true and what does it mean? That the 182 is too new to get a star rating or something more sinister?

KnightAzul

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by KnightAzul on 15 June 2004

Unfortunately Top Gear has not found its way onto Spanish television over here, and Im still waiting for the tape to be sent over.

I was told that Top Gear reported that the 182 has NO STAR rating for safety. Is this true and what does it mean? That the 182 is too new to get a star rating or something more sinister?

KnightAzul

it has a 4 star rating out of a possible 5 star. He was commenting because all the rest of the renault range are 5 star and that they havent bothered uprating the safety for the clio 2004. I personally think there is no need to, they will wait until the new clio comes out to get another 5 star.

Clio v6

Quote: Originally posted by KnightAzul on 15 June 2004
40 megas avi file. It is only big if you have a small internet connection!KnightAzul

Yup. Its only big if you have a small one.
:)

i was so gutted watching it as i had to cancel ma 182 last week and was dew to pick it up today:( all because of a crash and moddificatons i now have no car sh*t!!!!!!!

Leon TDI

I would never make my mind up about whether or not to buy a a car from a TV critic.
Dont get me wrong i like Top Gear as a TV show, its great Car related entertainment.

The opinions from friends and owners is far more important. People who have to live with the cars and their quirks every day, are the one who really know what the car is like, Clarkson will drive a 182 today and a 911 tomorrow. I dont think he can have a balanced opinion when his budget is 14K to 140K.

When i was considering buying my 172, i searched for fan sites, which is when i found ClioSport.
I found more useful infor here than anywhere else.

Renaultsport Clio 172 16v

Bit harsh i think if he did, dont they do 60 in 6.3- 6.4, all those other hot hatch owners will be sat there thinking, yep ill have that to 60. Mind you probaly more fun for 182 owners!;)

Hi Im the new boy. Had a Clio 172 mk2 for almost 3 months.

Has anyone seen this months Evo magazine? "Fast Club 2004 fetauring Gallardo, Caterham R500, 991 etc. and Clio 182" It didnt compare too well to the obviously more expensive cars but certainly showed them up on the slalom. And was by far the cheapest car there. (Apart from a 1.6 focus thrown in as a bench mark). The clio was 4 seconds off the lap time of a 350Z. Not bad.