ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

which is the better tyre

ContiPremiumContact the orignal tyres that i had on my car, and was thinkin of getting yoko A539 replacments are they better cheers dave

172 cup'd extreme

there ok in the wet run a539s for ages brilliant in the dry and on corners but there are better wet tyres around and with winter coming soon better off with something like uniroyal rain sport

no i dont drive fast in the rain, as roads are really bad and slippy round here (in country). i can get the yoko for £31 quid a tyre bargin

Renault Laguna Coupe

better depends on your preference for how the tyre behaves.. I loved the Contis but a lot of people seem to hate them. Goodyear F1s are better than either of the ones you mention, but a lot more £££££

Skoda Fabia vRS

dont get em jus cos they are cheap, at the end of the day thats the main thing between the car and road

personally, Michelin Pilot Exalto IIs

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

You can get goodyear eagles for about £34 per tyre and its the best extra £3 you could ever possibly spend, much better than going in a ditch!

VaVa

Ive got A539s on my 172. Ill be replacing them with something different when the time comes. Not as bad as some people make out, but I dont get on with them.

For Japanese brand tyres, go for Bridgestone. Their tyress overall quality is the best.

Check if you have the follow tyres from BS:

RE-01
S-03
G3
RE050

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer

A539s are the worst tyre --- CHEAP AND NASTY AND DANGEROUS IN THE WET.

PE2 / F1-GSD3 / Conti in order of preference.

PE2 best all round road tyre

my mates got yoko A539 having just chatted to him he says the good in dry very sticky, and ok in wet but if you dont cane it will be ok, which i dont, so i dont see a prob really, hes got a zetec s by the way

Skoda Fabia vRS

but with the Goodyears so cheap at the moment, why not spend the extra on something that will be a lot better in the wet, its probably less than £20 difference over all 4 !

you cant reallymake sweeping generalisations and say Yokos arent verry good.

They make loads of ranges of tyres, and like most brands they cheeper ones arent as good as the more expensive. Yoko make so good tyres, however for a good all year tyre go for a goodyear eagle F1 or for a more sport based tyres and soft waring go for a falken

Lionel Richie

Quote: Originally posted by EVOgone on 13 August 2005A539s are the worst tyre --- CHEAP AND NASTY AND DANGEROUS IN THE WET.PE2 / F1-GSD3 / Conti in order of preference.PE2 best all round road tyre

PE2S ARE THE CRAPEST TYRE MONEY CAN BUY

A539S ARE AWESOME

Quote: Originally posted by Fred2001Dynamic on 13 August 2005

Quote: Originally posted by EVOgone on 13 August 2005
A539s are the worst tyre --- CHEAP AND NASTY AND DANGEROUS IN THE WET.

PE2 / F1-GSD3 / Conti in order of preference.

PE2 best all round road tyre

PE2S ARE THE CRAPEST TYRE MONEY CAN BUY

A539S ARE AWESOME
Crazy fool...

;)

LoL

tiTTy & SV650

PE2s are superb, wet or dry - no difference.

I had exaltos on my 205gti too and they were superb back then aswell.

Lionel Richie

well considering theyre "supposed" to have stiff sidewalls, all i see is f**ked sidewalls at trackdays, its the only tyre tht does it

PE2s???? sh*t i say

H22A7 Accord Type R

EAGLESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS ;) honestly - awesome! grip, grip, bit more grip.........MINT!

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer

Quote: Originally posted by Fred2001Dynamic on 14 August 2005

well considering theyre "supposed" to have stiff sidewalls, all i see is f**ked sidewalls at trackdays, its the only tyre tht does it

PE2s???? sh*t i say
Best all round road tyre for the road - PE2s. Stop being a ......... A539 are sh*t. People only get them casue they are cheep. For track days get.... errm track day tyres...! Fred when was the last day you did a track day on A539s... ?

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer

FRED - everyone thinks your a - " Crazy fool" A team style..!

[Edited by EVOgone on 14 August 2005 at 12:59am]

Lionel Richie

Quote: Originally posted by EVOgone on 14 August 2005
Quote: Originally posted by Fred2001Dynamic on 14 August 2005well considering theyre "supposed" to have stiff sidewalls, all i see is f**ked sidewalls at trackdays, its the only tyre tht does it

PE2s???? sh*t i say[/QUOTE]Best all round road tyre for the road - PE2s. Stop being a ......... A539 are sh*t. People only get them casue they are cheep. For track days get.... errm track day tyres...! Fred when was the last day you did a track day on A539s... ?

all the time chap, A539s are good!!! at least they dont go round corners on the sidewall!!!!

novice, mr EVO, NOVICE!!!!;)

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer

Crash Bandi Coot..! Please lets not get into a slanging match, A539s are sh*te caompared to PE2s. Remember the statement was PE2s are the beat all round road tyre, which is fully supported by the majority on this forum.

FRED, Please come the Nring and track day in your own car with A539s on you will get spanked (especially in the wet). Not by me just most people......

Stop being a ....................

Lionel Richie

im having a laugh mate, chill out a bit chap!!!!

i like A539s, you dont!!! big deal, the world goes on, and oil prices rise, hey ho nevermind!!

(BTW if PE2s are "that good" why arent they fitted to every half decent performance motor??? why are they only standard on a £12K tin can clio???)

[Edited by Fred2001Dynamic on 8/14/2005 1:19:33 AM]

oh and you have 100bhp more than i do in my car, il have to borrow someones!!!

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer

im having a laugh mate, chill out a bit chap!!!!

i like A539s, you dont!!! big deal, the world goes on, and oil prices rise, hey ho nevermind!!

(BTW if PE2s are "that good" why arent they fitted to every half decent performance motor??? why are they only standard on a £12K tin can clio???)
Im chilled...

"Fitted to really good car" ....? They have an even better tyre called the PS2 but its only 17"...Really good especially on the EVO..! I can recommend them as with many others on the MLR.

Enjoy..

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer

blah blah blah, im going to the pub
24hr pub drinking is not for a few months...............

Enjoy...

Lionel Richie

Quote: Originally posted by EVOgone on 14 August 2005
Quote: Originally posted by Fred2001Dynamic on 14 August 2005blah blah blah, im going to the pub[/QUOTE]24hr pub drinking is not for a few months...............Enjoy...

ah ha, its when my mate owns 3

2005 Impreza WRX STI

i have a539s no complaints whatsoever! seem to be a good allround tyre!lets face it, unless u track your car quite regularly....there isnt going to be any noticeable difference in performance with sport tyres. and ppl go on about being crap in the wet? u shouldnt drive like a tw*t in them conditions!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Hate a539s! Contis are way better than a539s.

ive got them on my 205 track car. sh*te, so im switching to pilot sport cups.

Pe2s as a road tyre and a track tyre im impressed, get the pressures right and the sidewalls are fine.

As for F1s bit too flexy for me.

VaVa

Its all very well saying dont drive fast in the wet, but no matter how slowly you drive you may still have to make drastic manouvers in case of an emergency. I know I would be more comfortable with a tyre that would provide me with a little bit of grip in the wet, just in case.

Such an occasion has happened to me, and I nearly slid into a hedge. I was doing 30 mph.

I find the 539s to be a bit sloppy, and they have really loosened the rear end of my Clio - Which isnt always a bad thing, but was a little disconcerting to begin with.

They seem to grip, then give a little and then grip again. Very strange.

Next stop PE2s or GSD3s.....

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer

Quote: Originally posted by lagerlout1 on 14 August 2005

Its all very well saying dont drive fast in the wet, but no matter how slowly you drive you may still have to make drastic manouvers in case of an emergency. I know I would be more comfortable with a tyre that would provide me with a little bit of grip in the wet, just in case.

Such an occasion has happened to me, and I nearly slid into a hedge. I was doing 30 mph.

I find the 539s to be a bit sloppy, and they have really loosened the rear end of my Clio - Which isnt always a bad thing, but was a little disconcerting to begin with.

They seem to grip, then give a little and then grip again. Very strange.

Next stop PE2s or GSD3s.....
Well said, exactly my point.

Eagle F1s every time for me. Wet weather performance is simply amazing IMO and dry grip is also good. On top of that its also a very progressive tyre with a controlled breakaway when the limits are reached. Eagle F1s also perform superbly in slightly damp conditions where a lot of other tyres lose the plot.

A539s are probably about the worst tyre I have driven on in the wet.

RenaultSport Clio 172 Mk2

I was very impressed with the Eagle F1s in the wet when I had them. I could really push it round islands in the wet, and the tyres still suddenly gripped on the limit before it finally started understeering.

so A539s it is, i cant get the F1s cheap, there £61 quid. i never track my car. and dont drive like a tw*t in the wet/or dry that much. ;)