ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which Mobile for me?

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
First of all, I've read a few threads already, most of them started by BRUN ;)
Just thought I'd get some opinions myself :

I currently have a SE K850i which has been fairly good to me. I have debranded it to get the latest firmware and it has been back to o2 once to have an issue with the touch sensitive keys fixed. At the weekend my 1 year old daughter decided to chew a couple of the buttons out of it, and drool into the keypad, thus rendering my super touch sensitivity unconscious, so to speak. I tried to shake the slaver out, but to no avail. This is where I realised, in hindsight, that punching the screen did absolutely nothing to improve the situation, moreso made it 100% worse. I'm now back to using my girlfriends K800i, as she has a Samsung Tocco, anyway.

My contract is up in a few months anyway, so I've just been looking at a few new options for when the time comes.

I use the camera/video on my phone quite a bit, taking snaps of Isabella and random things that amuse me. I'd like it to be pretty good quality, preferably better than the K850i camera (even though thats 5MP, it doesnt seem to be better than the 3.2MP camera thats on the K800i).
I've heard the new Samsung i8510 camera is 8MP and is arguably the best camera phone on the market at the moment, although it doesnt come with a Xenon flash or optical zoom. I think the iPhone's suffer with their camera, and also the inability to send MMS, which I also use on occasion.

I text an awful lot too, far more often than dialling calls, so it has to be quite easy to text. I realise you get used to whatever phone you're using, and my fingers arent stubby or anything so a touch screen isnt too bad an option.

Internet access is a huge bonus, and I think the newer phones come with Wi-Fi which is a nice addition. I love the drag and scroll features of the touch screens, too, but I'm not overly fussed if its button operated.

I'm also a gadget nut, and love a phone packed full of features and stuff to unlock and do. The phone must be able to play MPEG video, 3GP and DivX etc, as well as the normal MP3 music files and all that jazz. Gaming isnt really an issue, but saying that I would like a phone where I can download or install a decent game now and again.

Anyway, I've been looking at the Samsung i8510, SE C905, Nokia N96 and the iPhone 3G. Any more I could be looking into? I've heard a few good things about the HTC Touch Diamond, but it uses a Windows OS and I dont know if the phone itself is trustworthy reliability wise.

Features :

Texting (SMS & MMS capability)
Decent Camera and Video functions
MPEG, 3GP, DivX playback
Games
Easy to use and not bug-ridden
Nice features
Fairly Future Proof
Decent price on Contract (preferably free, but nothing for too much £££)

Cheers guys :cool:

Please no one suggest that this guy gets a phone with full internet access capabilities.

ClioSport would be whole load busier if Scutch had internet access from ANYWHERE.

Thanks.

</Public Service Announcement>

;)

Skoda Fabia vRS
i8510 is the only one that fits the bill mate, N96 is slow as feck and terrible battery, c905 has a good camera but poor internet and other features, iphone camera is terrible, htc touch hd has no flash for the camera !

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
i8510 does everything you want out of the box

However i really dont think you will use it as intended.

So C905 or hold out for the N85.

Skoda Fabia vRS
ive just tried to get an i8510 with no luck, CPW said they would do it for free on dolphin 30, now today, they can no longer do that, i had the womans direct number who offered it to me but i cant find it

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Tom would you say that N85 is better than the SE phones on the market at the moment, and do you think it will be available for free with o2 contract?

Quite like the look if it.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
IMO, from what I've read about it, I think the N85 is one of the best non-touchscreen phones. It has all the features you want and the OLED screen should make for impressive video playback.

I'm very tempted by this as my contract is up soon but can't help thinking I will wish I bought a touch screen instead.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Am liking that! Looks like a good competitor to the iphone spec wise.

Just a quick Q about video codecs compared to the N85, is MPEG4-SP/AVC the same as H.264 AVC?

Skoda Fabia vRS
so the N85 is a smart phone, looks basically like its an i8510 only with a 5mp camera and no wifi