ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which of the following tyres will last the longest?

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Im confused over which tyres to go for, i need all 4 replacing. I do not drive like an idiot and probably only covering 70-100 miles a week.

Toyo T1R are the worst tyres ever imo, the sidewalls wear down instantly.

which of the following would you say are the better tyre and have a harder compound so the sidewalls wont wear as easy as the toyos.
null_zps962675c9.jpg

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
I'd be getting the Uniroyals out of that list. Not sure how long they last though.

Thats what I had in mind. I know you cant really say how long they last, i just want something that wont wear as quick as the T1Rs do.

Also, i cant find anywhere cheaper than camskill, can anyone think of anywhere cheaper?

Ills

ClioSport Club Member
I've had Uniroyal rainsport 2s (albeit in 195/50/15) on a set of ph1 wheels since around Xmas.
I originally had the wheels fitted to my mx5 and they completely transformed it, especially in the wet.
I also did two trackdays on them both in the bone dry (brands and a very harsh concrete keevil) where IMO they performed far better than a rain/all weather biased tyre should.

I've now got them fitted to my 172 and although I'm still getting used to chucking it around, I still really rate them. Still got loads of tread left too even after beating them round tracks and regularly giving them grief on the road.
£160 delivered for set of 4 195/50/15s too, bargain in my eyes!

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
I've had Uniroyal rainsport 2s (albeit in 195/50/15) on a set of ph1 wheels since around Xmas.
I originally had the wheels fitted to my mx5 and they completely transformed it, especially in the wet.
I also did two trackdays on them both in the bone dry (brands and a very harsh concrete keevil) where IMO they performed far better than a rain/all weather biased tyre should.

I've now got them fitted to my 172 and although I'm still getting used to chucking it around, I still really rate them. Still got loads of tread left too even after beating them round tracks and regularly giving them grief on the road.
£160 delivered for set of 4 195/50/15s too, bargain in my eyes!

Thanks for the review on them mate, appreciate it. Agree, that is a fantastic price, for my 16's though it will be £240 which I suppose isnt too bad for 4.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
I know many stand by the UniRoyals, but I've seen some suggest, as you would expect, that if you do properly hammer them in the dry, they won't last as long as some other comparable dry/all-weather tyres.

I'd go a tiny bit up in price to the £67.70 Camskill want for the Hankook V12 Evo's if you can, as they seem to be best mid-range tyres on offer.

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
If your going for 195/45's I would spend the few quid extra and get the Conti SportContact 3's myself.

WRX
If you want a hard wearing tyre and don't drive stupidly fast, I would go for Maxxis MA-Z1s. Shop around though as they vary greatly in price.

1.2 16v
Out of interest, what are the nankangs like?

I've got nankangs stretched on my wheels, hard compound so last well, everyone I know that's ran them have said they've lasted longer than anything else.

People say they're bad in the rain, but I've had no issues in the wet with mine, just don't drive like a fool and they're fine.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
There's a chap on here selling his iceberg Clio. He has hankook rainsports 2 on it, best of both lol

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
If nankangs are hard wearing i might just get those as it will be a lot cheaper. Before anyone says it, cheap doesnt mean better etc i know but as mentioned i only drive aprox 70 miles a week we are shortly getting a new car in the house that i will be using.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
If your going for 195/45's I would spend the few quid extra and get the Conti SportContact 3's myself.

I need to spend as little as possible on them, i never normally have this attitude towards tyres but this time its just the way it is.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
I've got nankangs stretched on my wheels, hard compound so last well, everyone I know that's ran them have said they've lasted longer than anything else. People say they're bad in the rain, but I've had no issues in the wet with mine, just don't drive like a fool and they're fine.

cheers for that fella, at £40 a tyre thats great for me at the moment and if they have a hard compound thats perfect. Like i said, I don't drive silly and currently cover very little miles anyway.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Budgets will last for ever because they are made from granite and offer no grip.

If you're doing 100 miles a week .. any of the tyres will need replacing due to fatigue before they actually wear to the markers :S

Buy the best tyres you can afford. Budgets are a false economy IMO + IME !!

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Budgets will last for ever because they are made from granite and offer no grip.

If you're doing 100 miles a week .. any of the tyres will need replacing due to fatigue before they actually wear to the markers :S

Buy the best tyres you can afford. Budgets are a false economy IMO + IME !!

I do completely agree with you mate and im going against everything i normally say myself. However, i have 4 tyres, mot,tax and insurance coming up all in one go. Im debating declaring it sorn at the moment but either way i want it to have an mot on time and for that i need new tyres which is the only reason I'm considering the cheap ones this time.

172/B8 Quattro
Budgets will last for ever because they are made from granite and offer no grip. !!

Wrong!
the budgets with a harder compound like plastic rubber act like a cheese grator. The premium tyres that are softer will last longer as theare made from better rubber compound and won't wheelspin as much.

172/B8 Quattro
cheers for that fella, at £40 a tyre thats great for me at the moment and if they have a hard compound thats perfect. Like i said, I don't drive silly and currently cover very little miles anyway.
Its not a hard compound you want, it's a stiffer sidewall and a soft/medium compound (you pays for what you get)

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Has anyone used Hankook K107? My local garage can do 4 fitted for £248.

The nankangs would work out at 214 fitted so for an extra £34 im thinking the Hankooks would be a better option.

Fiesta ST2 MP215
Not sure where half of this came from, the better the economy rating the lesser they will last, the Uniroyals have the lowest rating on economy and actually lasted me a long time, Kumho tyres are really good too.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
If you want a decent grippy tyre that will still last quite a while and take some abuse from time to time then you should look at the Kumhos. They are a decent hard wearing tyre.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
So .. to summarise ....

Soft tyres last longer than hard tyres and the more economical the tire is, the softer it actually is and you can make a cheese sandwich with hard budget tyres.

FLOL.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
how much cheaper are 195s compared to 205s? Is there any benefits from 205 do ya know?

Not much i don't ink, i think 205 are better as there is more tyre so wider on the road. I don't like 205's though, they look huge. There going on trophy turinis.

F56 MINI Cooper S
TBH mate, i didnt realise 195s were an option. may look into these come new tyre time. when you say they look huge, as in what, the thickness of the tyre?

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
TBH mate, i didnt realise 195s were an option. may look into these come new tyre time. when you say they look huge, as in what, the thickness of the tyre?

Yes, i just think they look really chunky and spoil the look of the wheel. Ive had 195 40 16 on my cup wheels for ages but these new tyres are for my turinis. Ive gone for the 4 Hancook k107, il see what they are like.