ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which Oil?

clio 172 ph1
I have a mk1 clio 1.8 16v. I was wondering which type of oil is best to put in the engine i.e 10w 40? Any help apreciated....

Clio 190bhp Hybrid
10w 40 is what is recommended. Think Haynes recommends Duckhams QXR and you can get that fitted for 20 quid including Filter at National Tyres. Oil is £20 quid alone from your local Motor store so saves getting dirty, cold and keeps your knuckles in one piece.

Have used Total Quartz 7000 for top ups from GSF. Also used Castrol RS 0w40 and Mobil 1 15w50 fully synthetics and Castrol RS seemed to run best in my engine with least top ups needed. Mobil not so good in my experience and needs constant topping up.

Any Semi Synthetic or Full Synthetic is fine and as my change is due I am to replace the 15w50 Mobil 1 I have in for Duckhams QXR as its a no brainer at 20 quid fitted.

Valver on 108k by the way.

Actually, this time of year 5w-40 is better for the engine. Less wear on cold start.

Don't use 15w-50 unless the car is very heavily modded and running higher oil temps.

Cheers
Simon

I'm running 5w40 Elf Excellium fully synth and it's good - still *slightly* noisy on start up but then I don't think you can really get rid of that.

The plus points are that because it's thin it quickly circulates and warms up, and the engine feels strong and free revving when up to temperature. :)

Infinitely better than GTX Magnatec! :dead: