ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which phone/deal should I get?

Renault Clio
Hello :)

I currently have the Sony Ericsson k850i. I've had it for over two years and it's been a good phone if I'm honest. I haven't had any real trouble with it, but I think it's time for a change! I didn't have it on contract, but I ended up getting a SIM Only contract. I pay £20 per month for 600 minutes and unlimited texts on Vodafone.

I only really use my phone for calling, texting, pictures, music and videos. The three phones that I've narrowed it down to are the Nokia N96, Nokia 5800 and the Sony Ericsson C510. I only want to spend £25 per month, or else I'd be getting the N97! :rasp:

These are the deals that I've found...

Nokia N96

Nokia+n96+small.jpg

Network: O2
Phone Price: Free
Duration: 24 Months

Minutes: 400
Texts: 1000

Price: £24.48

Nokia 5800

nokia+5800.jpg

Network: Vodafone
Phone Price: Free
Duration: 24 Months

Minutes: 600
Texts: Unlimted

Price: £25.00

Sony Ericsson C510

rogers-sony-ericsson-c510.jpg

Network: Vodafone
Phone Prce: Free
Duration: 18 Months

Minutes: 600
Texts: Unlimited

Price: £25.00

Based on the look of the phone, I really like the N96. But having a Nokia is a risk because the last time I had one was years and years ago. The safe bet would be to have the Sony Ericsson. The N96 is the worst deal out of the three two, with the Sony Ericsson being the best. However I'm wondering if the C510 would be a downgrade? I'd like a Nokia, they seem more professional, but I've been looking on the internet and I keep seeing bad reviews about the N96. I've seen people say that the battery isn't very good, that it's slow, that the music quality isn't very good, etc. Are these just a bunch of tech geeks who want everything to be perfect, or do they have a point? I think I'm going to rule out the Nokia 5800, I don't think I'd like a touchscreen, and if I hate it I'm stuck with it for 24 months. Advice would be a great help!

Last edited:
  Scirocco GT 2.0
What about all of the negative reviews about the N96?

Well tbh out of those 3 i'd go for the 5800 :)

I have used one myself and I was very impressed! You should soon get used to the touch screen, it is the way forward with most phones now anyway..

If I were you i'd pop in to a phone store and have a hands on with the 5800 and see what you think..

What other options have you got?

EDIT:

Have you considered this?

http://www.phones4u.co.uk/shop/shop_contract_details.asp?itemkey=253267

I had the Google G1 with the Android OS (which this phone has, but a newer versions) and it was brilliant.

Renault Clio
Well tbh out of those 3 i'd go for the 5800 :)

I have used one myself and I was very impressed! You should soon get used to the touch screen, it is the way forward with most phones now anyway..

If I were you i'd pop in to a phone store and have a hands on with the 5800 and see what you think..

What other options have you got?

EDIT:

Have you considered this?

http://www.phones4u.co.uk/shop/shop_contract_details.asp?itemkey=253267

I had the Google G1 with the Android OS (which this phone has, but a newer versions) and it was brilliant.

I can't find a store that allows you to use the phone live. Most of them just have a pretend image on the screen.

I can't really afford that one, I don't like the look of it either. I really want the N96, but only if it's going to be a good phone for 24 months like my K850i has, and the reviews I've read don't convince me of that.

Scirocco GT 2.0
I can't find a store that allows you to use the phone live. Most of them just have a pretend image on the screen.

I can't really afford that one, I don't like the look of it either. I really want the N96, but only if it's going to be a good phone for 24 months like my K850i has, and the reviews I've read don't convince me of that.

If you ask one of the members of staff they will get you a demo from out the back, I've done it a few times in the past. Just don't let them do the hard sell on you, make it clear you are still unsure what phone to go for and walk away with an excuse something like "I don't like it, i'm going to stick with my current phone for now" unless you really want to do a deal there and then of course.

Renault Clio
If you ask one of the members of staff they will get you a demo from out the back, I've done it a few times in the past. Just don't let them do the hard sell on you, make it clear you are still unsure what phone to go for and walk away with an excuse something like "I don't like it, i'm going to stick with my current phone for now" unless you really want to do a deal there and then of course.

I wasn't sure if they allowed that. Thanks! I think the phones on display in O2 are actually live now though, so I might go there first.

Still need advice about the N96! ;)

Scirocco GT 2.0
I wasn't sure if they allowed that. Thanks! I think the phones on display in O2 are actually live now though, so I might go there first.

Still need advice about the N96! ;)

Never used one myself, but for that kinda of money it can't be bad..

I wouldn't have paid the original release price for one but for £25/month it's one of the best iirc. But i'd still go for the 5800 ;) it's much better for music etc..

This website will help you out:

http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/Nokia-5800-XpressMusic-phone-p_3191.html

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Try the HTC magic, my GF had a similar contract and got one

Nissan Jewk
If you have to choose out of those 3, its a no brainer, the N96 based on features alone

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
The flagship SE tbh...

sony-ericsson-w995-walkman-phone-1.jpg

Got mine a few weeks ago and it's awesome, best phone I've owned. So many features, in another league to the SE phones I've had before!

I'm paying £27 p/m for 200 mins + 500 texts, on a 12 month contract. You can do a similar deal for £17 p/m but it's 18 months. Paid £48.50 for the actual phone :D

Renault Clio
The flagship SE tbh...

sony-ericsson-w995-walkman-phone-1.jpg

Got mine a few weeks ago and it's awesome, best phone I've owned. So many features, in another league to the SE phones I've had before!

I'm paying £27 p/m for 200 mins + 500 texts, on a 12 month contract. You can do a similar deal for £17 p/m but it's 18 months. Paid £48.50 for the actual phone :D

That's one of the ones that was out of my price range for the minutes and texts that I need. My ideal phone would be either the iPhone, the N97 or that one. I'm still young though!

I think the C510 is out of the question, I think that the K850i that I have at the moment is probably better than it.

Edit: Scrap that. I've just checked on O2 and I can get that one for the same deal as the N96. Now I'm really stuck!

It's either the N96, the Nokia 5800 or the SE W995.

Last edited:
  BMW 320ci
Could you stretch to £30 a month? I've got the G1 £30 a month unlimited texts & internet and 800 minutes on 18 month contract.

Go on tmobile website they've got some good deals on there.

Renault Clio
Now I'm moving back to the Nokia 5800. But it's only a 3.2 mega pixel camera, do you think that's a problem?

Is the sat nav on the 5800 free?

Last edited:
  Renault Clio
Yes, unless you want turn by turn then its subscription.

What about BBC iPlayer? I heard you can download that for free too? :eek: So like, for example, I could watch last night's EastEnders (if it was on last night) today if I had the phone?

The C510 is an excellent phone, but its a low end phone (£100 already on PAYG!) so would get a better spec phone for your money!

Renault Clio
The C510 is an excellent phone, but its a low end phone (£100 already on PAYG!) so would get a better spec phone for your money!

Yeah, that one's out of the question now. I'm really leaning towards the 5800 now. I'm at work now so I'm going down to the shops to take a closer look at it live!

Scirocco GT 2.0
I would have thought so, it may not be very responsive on anything less than a decent Wi-Fi connection though.

Renault Clio
I would have thought so, it may not be very responsive on anything less than a decent Wi-Fi connection though.

Oh so you have to use the internet? That's what I meant. It won't be free then I guess.

I went with the Nokia 5800 anyway, it's coming tomorrow. Only problem is I could only get it with the blue strip... I'd have liked the red strip.

So what's the best applications to get for it? Or any tips on like modifications and personalisations? Or maybe you know some good themes?

Last edited: