ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which track tyre - Yoko/Dunlop/Federal?

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Hi all,

I've found prices on the following:

Yoko A048's
Dunlop Direzza DZ03G's
Federal 595 RSR's

Now the first two option's are £130 each inc vat, but the 595 RSR's are like £80 each inc vat.

I've read a few reviews on them Federal's and everyone seems to love them.

Any one got any experience of them on the clio's or should I pay more money and go for one of the more expensive option?

Track use only too.

Lotus Elise
Federal 525 RSR are my next purchase when I finally right off Fred 888. Be a trend setter and get some I say.

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Federal 525 RSR are my next purchase when I finally right off Fred 888. Be a trend setter and get some I say.

Have you ever tried them out, compared to others?

I'm thinking for the money difference too it's nearly £200 a set.

Clio 172
Im currently running Federal 595 RSR's (195/50 R15) for my track tyres on my pretty standard 172 only done 1 track day with them at Rockingham but absolutley loved them.

Was running Pirelli PZeros on track before so cant make a comparison to the other track tyres but they certainly are miles better than any 'road' tyre.

When i was looking the cheapest alternative was the R888 at £108 a corner where as the federals were £75 corner, Ive heard the others have a little more dry grip but cant see it being anywhere near 1.5x better so i personally wouldn't spend the extra for a track day tyre, if it were a race tyre then the extra grip might be worth the money but for track days enough grip for having fun is all that required.

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Im currently running Federal 595 RSR's (195/50 R15) for my track tyres on my pretty standard 172 only done 1 track day with them at Rockingham but absolutley loved them.

Was running Pirelli PZeros on track before so cant make a comparison to the other track tyres but they certainly are miles better than any 'road' tyre.

When i was looking the cheapest alternative was the R888 at £108 a corner where as the federals were £75 corner, Ive heard the others have a little more dry grip but cant see it being anywhere near 1.5x better so i personally wouldn't spend the extra for a track day tyre, if it were a race tyre then the extra grip might be worth the money but for track days enough grip for having fun is all that required.

Nice bit of input.

I forgot to ring DT today about the price/availability they could do.

Rang Rare Rims as I noticed they list them on there site - no call back about availability :(

I used the RSR's in 2008 for sprinting etc... Was very impressed for the price, softer and stickier than comparable Hankook RS2's and Kumho Ecsta MX, also no worse than road tyres in the wet. Not as grippy as R888's etc... but then they're cheaper, i would recommend them, but make sure you correctly heat cycle them first for stability and longivity.

Clio 172
Nice bit of input.

I forgot to ring DT today about the price/availability they could do.

Rang Rare Rims as I noticed they list them on there site - no call back about availability :(

I bought mine from rare rims they did have them on there ebay shop for £150 a pair delivered, cant find them on there anymore though so might be out of stock

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
I rang DT today for some prices/availabilty:

Dunlop Direzza's £575 delivered in stock

Yoko A048's £535 delivered in stock

Toyo R888's - £450 delivered no stock

Federal 595 RS-R's £391 delivered in stock

On the tyre traders site, they've got the Federal's for £315 delivered!!

Just need to decide definitely to go for them now.

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
  Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Popped some thoughts down in this post:

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...rack-Project&p=7718195&viewfull=1#post7718195

In short:

Dry - not quite as good as 888s from what people have said, the extra grooves make them squirm a bit more and heat up faster.
Wet - very very good, even the instructor commented on how good they were in the wet. Check the video from about 2:45 mins onwards: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDhhSuB2Boc. I think I was actually the only car on the track at this point!

Leon FR
Hi,
This is a great post and I am looking for semi slick track tyres!
I have got a 172 cup and will be putting Eibach Sportlines on it...
I have heard some of these tyres may rub?
Anyone had any experience of this and can anyone recommend a tyre size to get!?
Thanks
Tom

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Hi,
This is a great post and I am looking for semi slick track tyres!
I have got a 172 cup and will be putting Eibach Sportlines on it...
I have heard some of these tyres may rub?
Anyone had any experience of this and can anyone recommend a tyre size to get!?
Thanks
Tom

I Used 888's in 205 width on Koni's and they did wear on the archliners but only for a few laps! lol

VW Touran, BeetleCab
Hi,
We pitted next to a group of lads who ALL ran RSR's. Alfa 145, Evo 4, and a Megane 225, and an M3. They all used their cars on the road too, and had all run 888's in the past. They felt that the 888's were just not worth the extra money.
As soon as I pick up my new Clio(9pm tonight), I, too, will be in the market for a set on 15's. Haven't checked Camskills, but they are normally well priced.