ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which Zymol wax for arctic blue 182

Mondeo STTDCI

Am on the verge of ordering a Zymol starter kit...posted another thread a few weeks back that was VERY handy but which Wax should I look at?

Im not into spending SILLY money on the really really expensive stuff, so was thinking cream or carbon, or titanium. MIGHT stretch to Concours but ONLY if its going to be worth the price difference!

So which one for the colour?

Thanks in advance

councours is my personal favourite - such a massive difference hip but to be on the safe side give carbon wax a go as tomclio182 has listed.

then if you need to upgrade the councours gives a "deeper" shine .

hope this helps ?:)

whatever brand you choose, make sure you claybar the car BEFORE waxing....will last a mile longer and will all look spectacular.

claybar IS the key to success in car-detailing.

Lee

BMW M2C

LOL, I asked this very same question about a month ago and I think we can to the conclusion that Carbon wax would work.

But having seen 172Fast!s pictures I might spend a bit more!

Never heard of the clay bar and after checking the maguires site I would not apply it when using a £140 wax and certainly not when applying a £1,400 wax.

use the zymol hd cleanse as that was developed for a reason in conjunction with the wax.

while claybar may be right for other applications its not to be used with the estate glazes.

Mondeo STTDCI

Ill be getting a starter kit then just renewing bits and pieces as I go. When the shampoo is gone Ill get Meguiars Gold Class but apart from that everything will remain the status quo.

Quote: Originally posted by 172Fast! on 13 June 2004

Never heard of the clay bar and after checking the maguires site I would not apply it when using a £140 wax and certainly not when applying a £1,400 wax.

use the zymol hd cleanse as that was developed for a reason in conjunction with the wax.

while claybar may be right for other applications its not to be used with the estate glazes.
zymol sell a clay bar, and they recomend its use before applying there waxes, its called lehm clay, costs about £60 i think

dk

911 GTS Cab

i have the concours wax and if you can afford it, i would recommend it, and before you apply it you have to use the HD clenser to get rid of previous wax and grime so that the wax bonds to the paint properly, so make sure you get some of this too.

Also get hold of a towel, micro wipe and pre wax applicator (you dont need a wax applicator if you buy the concours as you apply it with your hands but you will need a pre was applicator for the hd clense but this only has to be done every 6 months)

Their Clear car shampoo is also very good as are the wheel cleaning gel and protector and the horse hair brush. I just bought the full kit which included everything needed.

HOW MUCH ARE YOU SPENDING ON WAX!!!!

I run a national valeting company and the best stuff you use on new cars is is 100% carnubra wax it costs about 10 quid and nothing gets close to it.

Agree with the clay bar quote they are great for ensuring the surface is spotless.

Clio 1.6 16v 2003

sounds a bit ott considering the car its used on, (i mean no disrespect) but the prices are a pisstake - how can it possibly cost that much to make the wax.

zymol must be making a big profit.:eek:

like anything , its a relative,

a ferrari would be expensive to the average guy but to jay kay its not even a weeks royaltys !

im not fussed about what zymol make, only fussed about my company profits and if i can afford it fine , if not i get something else.

plus for reference i use concours and it services our 355 F1, 172 Mk Clio, Cherokee jeep and NSX so i would not think its a bad purchase to keep our family cars in such amazing condition.

just my opinion and for what its worth ive yet to see a valid arguement and pics to back up to points to make me change to another product.

172 fast there is better products out there than zymol i have compared zymol vintage which i have and used to use against mothers and i have found that i get a better finish with mothers which i hate to say it.so i have alot of zymol wax sitting around collecting dust ie 1 carbon 2 ital 2 concours 1 titanium 1 rouge 2 destiny 1 atlantique 1 vintage yes i thought i could buy in to the dream finish.you will not see in a pic the difference of zymol compared to say mothers its in the feel of the paint finish and to the ease of use.as i have said before i was a zymol detailer i left because i have found a better product which i can use also all year round.i will allways keep looking but i beleave the mothers is going to be very hard to beat

topshot - that is a fair arguement and i respect your opinion especially as its based on your own personal and professional experience.

I love zymol (as you can see ! lol ) as i could not believe the finish and am truely very very happy with it but i take note of your thread as well.

does mothers have a website link ? could you paste up the link please ?

what do you intend to do with the zymol you have left ?

would you be interested in selling it ?

thanks

pete

172 fast there is a couple of links the usa site is http://www.mothers.comwww.mothers.com and the uk site is http://www.crystalclean.ltd.ukwww.crystalclean.ltd.uk.

my zymol i have i will keep so i can show my clients the difference between zymol and mothers . and one day i might find a paint finish that mothers cant put a shine on and i can try zymol but i doubt this will happen .i have used the mothers on some really bad paint work ie matt finish and 250kmile cars and i have had the shine on the car which you would love to have had with zymol.i used to use vintage on my white van like you i loved zymol i thought it was the ultimate wax as it was the most expensive it must mean it was good but not allways the case.

Skoda Fabia vRS

Quote: Originally posted by 172Fast! on 13 June 2004

claybar is right for any application mate, as its prep, it can only make the end result better

claybar is a well trusted and used product by people in the know

oh an personally i wouldnt buy Zymol, yes i own some, and yes its very good, but its not very durable at all, you should expect to wax every 2 weeks or more to keep the shine and protection

how much better are these products than the good ol Autoglym then?

...a good dose of their polish, then their super resin always looked fine to me - how noticeable will the difference be?

Deffo getting one of those horny looking washmitts tho!

hi brun,

that is true , you do have to wash more often but i find the shine does last.

what zymol do you own ?

Clio Trophy ,EFI'd 5GTT

hi

i purchased 2 Supagaurd kits on the cheap and want to do my cup but not sure of the process of applying it

http://www.supagard.co.uk/http://www.supagard.co.uk/

when i phoned them they said i shouldnt have this as its for motor trade use only ,and it must be stolen ... oh sh*t i quickly hung up

does en 1 no of this product and can give any tips? i beleive it costs over £300 for a kit ,i got 2 kits for £60 ,it is sold as an extra when purchasing a new car from sum dealers..

ne help ?

Quote: Originally posted by AndyG on 18 June 2004

how much better are these products than the good ol Autoglym then?

...a good dose of their polish, then their super resin always looked fine to me - how noticeable will the difference be?

Deffo getting one of those horny looking washmitts tho!
In terms of shine you probably wont notice a difference but the autoglym polish will cut your paintwork as its not a pure polish.

Thought I might as well ask in this thread as there is bound to be a better response than my previous thread received tucked away as it was.

I am aware that there are a whole load of products out there aimed at removing swirls and similar from paintwork. Is there such a thing as a wax that can be used to actually disguise such slight paint defects as these swirls though as my Cup has some really light marks that bother me - being picky as I am. Before anyone even suggests the Colour Magic stuff - I could probably get a superior result using a marker pen/ biro ;)

Skoda Fabia vRS

BossCup, the best stuff ive read about is Meguairs Swirl Remover, which is part of the bodyshop range, have a look on here http://www.meguiars.co.uk/http://www.meguiars.co.uk/

it may actually be worth using the Medallion Paint Cleaner first, as this is supposed to be one of the best paint cleaners money can buy, and it may actually get the swirls out on its own

Ford Fiesta

I have yet to see a car without swirls. Even ones in showrooms, never been used show them up under the lighting.

I dont see how they can be avoided, there is always some contact between a sponge and the paint, a cloth and the paint, a fine speck of dust will create on swirl.

I use a power washer to remove most first but there is always some muck needed to be removed using a sponge on the paint.

Clio 197

I use the zymol cleaner wax and car wash... gentle on paint and the Hard Wax Coat on top...

Not sure about whats best.... but arctic blue is a bit of a funny colour... shine wont look deep at some angles..

Some waxes last longer, but give less shine... some give deeper shine, but dont last as long. Best is two coats of the long lasting stuff, and one of the shiny stuff.

As for swirls... the less you do to your paint, the less swirls you get.

Stay away from polishes that get swirls out, as they do what they say on the tin - they polish... enough coats of polish and youll go through the laquer (i did it to my kawasaki, shocked to find green paint on my cloth)...

Zymol stuff is expensive, but looks fantastic. If its safe for your hands, its definately safe for your paint.

3 Series xdrive

Use "Autoglym super resin polish" then do it with the "Autoglym extra gloss protection" this is a finish that cannot be beaten, the stuff is so easy to apply and remove, and with the extra gloss protection it will last for weeks/months.

Also, use Rain X on your exterior windows, makes the rain beed on the glass, it also means you dont need to use you windscreen wipers at high speed, the water just runs clean off the windows.

Quote: Originally posted by daz182 on 21 June 2004

Also, use Rain X on your exterior windows, makes the rain beed on the glass, it also means you dont need to use you windscreen wipers at high speed, the water just runs clean off the windows.
Agreed, Rain X is absolutely f***ing quality stuff. You do seem to get some odd looks from other motorists though - presumably they think you must have a death wish for not using wipers while it is raining .. lol.

I heard one person saying it smeared but I rather suspect that he had not taken the time to apply it properly as I have only praise for it and have certainly not seen a single smear.

Ford Fiesta

agreed, I use the rain x on all glass and mirors, build up the coats a few times and it will last ages. I hardly ever use my wipers, hence I dont have the horrid marks that wipers leave over time.

I have always used autoglym in the past but thinking about the zymol stuff in the blue bottle from halfords, if this is any better?

read some posts here saying autoglym is a cutter, but its expeensive stuff, surely its decent? used on all top motors it says?

Clio 197

Augoglym took the laquer off my kwaki (after owning it two years), but still, it wasnt very nice seeing green paint on my polishing cloth.

If it says "polish" on the tin, then yes... it is a cutter. Be it mild or not, you dont really want to use it every few weeks (like I did).

Ford Fiesta

is the zymol stuff at halfords a cutter then?

in the blue bottle? what about just using the extra gloss protection autoglym?

Clio 197

Ok.. had a look in my garage...

Autoglym Resin Polish is definately a cutting agent - good to use to get rid of minor scratches/swirls... DO NOT USE TOO MUCH PRESSURE when applying. Dont use too often.. or at all if you can help.

Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection contains mainly waxes, and smells strongly of petrolium solvents.. and isnt creamy... more like a liquid... but doesnt produce much powder when buffing... I would use it as a sealant on top of a nice thick coat of hard wax.

Zymol cleaner wax, is totally "natural".. smells of bananas/coconut and has no petrolium spirits in it. Contains carnauba was and other oils. Gets rid of some dirt... claims to repair minor scratches... but not sure if its a cutting agent... certainly doesnt smell like one. try http://www.zymol.co.ukwww.zymol.co.uk

Ford Fiesta

reading instructions, "do not use circular motions" let it go tacky then use a microwipe after it has gone tacky.

this wont be as good as the other carnuba stuff though will it?

Clio 197

If ur talking about the zymol blue bottle... based on its price.. it might not be the best in the zymol range... Ive found that its only lasted one wash!

The best stuff Ive ever used is the Turtle Wax Extreme Polishing Paste or silimar "hard" type turtlewax... which goes on thick.. and is a nightmare to get off again... but lasts long!

It lasts even longer if you seal with Autoglym EGP on top, or even Wonder Gloss... but remember to put another coat of hard wax after you have sealed it.... that way the wax on top gets the wear and tear (which you replace monthly), and there is another coat sealed underneath for even more protection...

My mate said a mate of his had his car Valeted (not sure where) and it cost him £300 but they used a special coating that stops water "beading" but lets it run straight off??

he said he had not needed to clean his car again ( in 8 monthsd) and it still looks like new?? anyone ever heard of that???

Simon.

Clio 197

I heard of the Auto Glym Life Shine valet, for 300 squid.

Done at the garage by "trained technicians" to prepare your car to the "highest standards"...

Basically they protect paint, windows and interior... not sure how long it lasts.

You even get a life shine care kit containing:

Super resin polish
Clean Wheels
Extra Gloss Protection
Screenwash
Bodywork shampoo conditioner
Perfect polishing cloth
Aqua Dry
Car Glass Polish
Interior Shampoo
Jumbo Spnge
Vinyl and rubber care
Car Care expert guide.

That maybe it then??

think he said it had a 5 year Garentee (spelling?)

What seemed to make it different was the way water just ran off it leaving it dry?? no waxed beading like you normally get?

Simon.

will have to ask him for more details when next I see him I guess :)