ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Whining noise in 2nd gear

172 - 106gti project
Hello guys,

I have a 2001 172, iv noticed that recently there is a whining noise while in in 2nd gear, its slighty louder at high rev's.

I have been told that it may be the Dephaser, im attending a track day this sunday so i obviously don't want to risk damaging the engine.

If someone could explain what the dephaser is and if its a major problem, but im still unsure if that is actually the source of the whine.

Help and advice would be much appreciated

Thanks
Ben

Renaultsport Clio 172
Might be your PAS pump, does it happen in first gear too? get a long screwdriver, and place the metal end on the PAS pump when someone else is revving and turning the wheel. If its the PAS pump you'll hear the whine through the end of the screwdriver

Otherwise aux belt / aux wheel / dephaser pulley sounds like the culprit.

Clio 182 arctic
dephaser doesnt tend to really whine tho and you cant usually hear it above 1800rpm. normally just on idle.