ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

White Primer

One Phat Clio
Got sum White Primer spray paint for plastic. Im intending on using the Black Satin spray paint i have on the RS Grill i bought. Question is, may sound silly but so far no one has given me a valid 100% explanation,can i apply the white primer everywhere accordingly to the RS grill, wait to harden and dry then apply the finishing coats from the Black Satin spray paint?

I dont want to go out and but some more primer when i have a full can of white primer.

Would this work?

Thanks you!

BG182FF
think you might need to buy plastic primer for the grille. id like a 100% answer to. Im wanting to spray some plastic but not sure whether to sand down first before applying normal or plastic primer

Dodgy one
depends what type of plastic it is, if its textured and you want it smooth you need to sand it and high build it, if its smooth like a bumper etc any primer will suffice as long as its a good key

BG182FF
do you still need to sand if its smooth. sometheing like headlight lenses, can they be sprayed using normal primer

Track 172cup
yeh you need to sand smooth surfaces you are spraying in particular, as said above the paint needs to have something to grab onto and keying the surface will make sure the paint doesn't just flake off in a few days time

One Phat Clio
righto, my plan is;

Sand gingerly around the grill making the prep work thorough,
then, apply 2 thin layers of primer allow to set ensuring everywhere is completly covered,
finally apply the satin black coats. very thin layers again but on frequent occasions.

How does that sound? :D ??

BG182FF
sounds about right to me mate, are you not lacquering it? wont the paint be easily chipped if not lacquered?

One Phat Clio
hmm, i didnt laquer my wiper arms there sound enough but then again i guess there wiper arms. Hmmmm may be worth laquering, however, i doubt the paint will chip so badly its noticable, itf it does i can just re due it.

What are the chances of chippings occuring ruining the grill?

One Phat Clio
Sound, how many coats?

Sand > Primer > Satin Blk > Laquer. Finish.

Also, reckon i should apply the laquer to the wiper arms i did the other week?

ph1 172
I wouldn't use white primer tbh, dark grey or black would be better.

Over time you'll get the odd stone chip and the white will show through.

I'd use plasti-coat stuff they sell in boyes personally. They do matt black and I think you can apply it straight to plastics.

Just give it a very good keying up with scotch pads and build up thin layers.

http://www.plasti-kote.co.uk/Product/pcode---4181

BG182FF
after the sanding, how should it feel? rough? im wanting to spray my rear lights but not sure how i should go about it.. hope someone can kindly help

One Phat Clio
after the sanding, how should it feel? rough? im wanting to spray my rear lights but not sure how i should go about it.. hope someone can kindly help

Im not sure about the light spraying... personally id leave them standard and change the bulbs( Indicators - Silvervisions)... and the number plate light to a LED, makes it look cool and bright. (Link; http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Xtec-R5W-245-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item414773c3ee)

Sanding however, depends on what grade sand paper you apply. Wet and dry could be suitable in moderation - but really using a fine sanded paper gingerly from B&Q or local hardware is adequate. Should'nt feel too rough damaging the surface, the plastic should have a scratch coat, like when plastering. This helps the following coats of paint bind and purchase to the surface avoiding pealing.

Ill be doing the grill for the clio tomorrow, Just gathering tips on here. :D

BG182FF
thanks for that dean-mac, im going to have a go over the weekend too at my light covers. that lacquer is fine as its the lacquer i used for my diamonds and bullets.

ph1 172
Not to be an asshole, but I wouldn't use a process that required lacquer if your painting grills/ black plastics etc.

Only my opinion but grills etc. lacquered could look abit tacky.

One Phat Clio
yeah true, well im going to primer it then satin black it firstly. what what it looks like :)

thanks for the input guys!! Cheers :D