ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Whiteline ARB fitting tips

225 Cup & Williams
Right I've had a search through a few threads on how to fit it and also learned that it should come with fitting instructions too which is good to know. Has anybody got any little tips to make fitting and setting it up correctly a bit smoother?

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Wtf? Am I seeing that correctly, the whole arb is attached to nothing but the rear beam?

Surely it is doing absolutely sweet fa?

Gman

ClioSport Club Member
  Mt10 Zx6r golf tdi
Wtf? Am I seeing that correctly, the whole arb is attached to nothing but the rear beam?

When you corner and one side of the car is under more load than the opposite side the rear beam twists, fitting the whiteline arb stiffens up the beam so it will twist less keeping the rear of the car flatter.

Seat Ibiza

After I fitted it, I looked at it and thought exactly the same, but it does work.

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
So you're telling me that beam twists more than 18mm bar that is fixed to the shock with an L bracket made from what looks like 4mm plate?

Seat Ibiza
So you're telling me that beam twists more than 18mm bar that is fixed to the shock with an L bracket made from what looks like 4mm plate?

I know what your saying, but I guess it helps it. Doesn't look like it works, but works so well.

Gman

ClioSport Club Member
  Mt10 Zx6r golf tdi
I'm not sure exactly how stiff the rear beam is on a clio but adding the bar will decrease the flexibility in it yes.

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Works in what way? What changes have you observed? As far as I can see even if you did make it stiffer and it did change something, you'd merely be lifting the inside wheel earlier, but I'm still putting my money on the effect being purely placebo.

Unless someone truly in the know can show exactly why it works?

If it was just the placebo effect do many people wouldn't be saying how good they are.

The car feels a lot tighter. Less tail happy and much more planted get the power down earlier coming out the bend.

This is round a track though not just some random road

Gman

ClioSport Club Member
  Mt10 Zx6r golf tdi
I'm no expert and i've never fitted one to a clio but do have experience on past cars.

My understanding is it reduces the roll of the car which in turn keeps the car flatter during cornering which will increase grip as tyre contact is more, also as the rear of the car becomes stiffer in the terms of roll it means the car is more adjustable as it's more sensitive to load changes so you can control the car during a corner on the throttle a lot more.

Hope that kinda makes sense, i'm sure someone else will be along to explain it much more clearly.

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
I understand what an ARB is supposed to do, and on independent arms/wishbones where the arb is fixed to the chassis/ a subframe or similar, that is pretty much what happens.

But I fail to see how that is happening when the only fixings are all on the arm which is pivoting with suspension movement in its entirety.

Gman

ClioSport Club Member
  Mt10 Zx6r golf tdi
The rear beam is attached to the car at two points, even though the two wheels are bolted to the same single beam they can still move independently due to the designed in flex in the beam. By attaching a thick bit of metal to the beam you add resistance to the flexing action.

225 Cup & Williams
Clearly my thread has went completely off topic thanks to the guys above cheers!

Beefmc - cheers mate I never see that thread when I had a search.

Stealth 438'd 182
Excellent bit of kit just fitted one to mine with full set of coils after its been corner weighted and suspension set up by total control racing.. Really handles well now! Less roll/twitch from the rear.. handling mods are the way forward on these cars!

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
I'm not sure exactly how stiff the rear beam is on a clio but adding the bar will decrease the flexibility in it yes.

I *think* the stiffening of the rear beam is an accidental side effect of mounting the bar on the beam....the bar's purpose is NOT stiffening the rear beam, to do that it doesn't need to be connected to the wheels.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sway_bar

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question432.htm

http://www.turnfast.com/tech_handling/handling_antiroll