ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

who has an after market air filter?

Clio Sport 172
hi

i want some advise about whether or not i should fit an air filter to my 172.
ive read mixed reviews about whether its worth it for the extra power you actually get.

Flame 172 (Ph2)
General consensus I've found is that most induction kits had no power gains, and many even reduce power. I read an article where they tested various induction kits back to back on a dyno against the standard air intake (struggling to find it now!).

The V6 airbox is a common one which still uses the 'acoustic valve' and cold air feed, and the K-tec new style induction kit has proven gains on a dyno, and supposedly sounds great!

So all in all, the above two are the only really options most people consider if wanting to stray away from the standard air box. There is always the option of an after market panel filter in the standard air box but I've always felt they make little difference in other cars (not tried it in the 172 mind).

I've had a panel filter, a V6 airbox, and now have a Ktec Induction Kit.

The panel filter did piss all, the V6 airbox felt slightly more torquey and had a nice rumble sound to it, and now the Ktec feels to be more torquey again and has superb sound!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I've had on my old phase 1, standard, and the v6 setup. The latter sounded great until I drowned it out with a decatted exhaust lol. On my current car I've got the ktec induction kit and I have to say I'm pleasantly suprised, it sounds great. How much difference there is I've no idea but I feel it def feels quicker, less strangled if that makes sense. But I think my car is a good one so it may all be in my head.

172 cup
I had a k&n on the standard elbow. Changed to the standard airbox and could feel the was much better to drive. Just brought all the parts for a ktec style for £49 so will let you know how it fits and performs tomorrow

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Maxogen worked well for me but then I spent most of my time on track reving it's tits off :D

Clio 172
Ramair induction kit came with the 172 I bought, maybe it did lose me 1bhp but my god it rumbles! Sounds immense.

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
When I bought my 172 it had a cone filter stuck on the end of the elbow. It sat behind the radiator sucking in hot air so it wasn't gaining anything from the cone filter. If the engine was stopped after running long distances on the motorway for instance and then started off again fairly soon while it was still hot the performance was terrible until the air had cooled in the engine bay once you got up to a decent speed. I replaced it with a 172 airbox and it improved the performance and made it quieter as well. The airbox on the Ph1's are a twin inlet pipe from under the left headlight. Apparently the V6 one is a larger single inlet pipe version which is meant to be slightly better but I'm happy with the set up as it is currently.