ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Who Owns a Mk1 172

VaVa

There are five variants of Gris Iceburg and the Mk1 Iceburg is markedly different to the Mk2 colour. To those in the know anyway.

Back on topic, yes I have OWn3d several. Usually when we hit fifth....;)

Ex Ph-Quick

Quote: Originally posted by lagerlout1 on 24 June 2005

There are five variants of Gris Iceburg and the Mk1 Iceburg is markedly different to the Mk2 colour. To those in the know anyway.

Back on topic, yes I have OWn3d several. Usually when we hit fifth....

was waiting for this post

Quote: Originally posted by lagerlout1 on 24 June 2005

Back on topic, yes I have OWn3d several. Usually when we hit fifth....;)
How does that work as I thought 5th gear is longer in the mk1 ;)

VaVa

Youve answered your own question. I said when we hit fifth. Not when were at the top of fith @ max revs. The longer gear may have a slightly higher top speed, but the shorter Mk2 fifth is geared for better acceleration. All of the gear ratios were changed to give better acceleration.

Hence the 0-60 time of the mk1 is quicker due to its lighter weight, yet both cars are about the same to the ton.

Suzuki SV1000S

Think you will find the mk1 is quicker, Mine is the same performance as my old cup, which was def. faster than the mk2 172.

Also the mk1 cruises at 85mph at 4k rpm, the cup and mk2 172 cruises at 75 at 4k rpm (ish)

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by Day on 24 June 2005

So you get re-owned straight after...

I get ya
Obviously...... because you get straight up to top speed dont you.... *rolls eyes*

One by one... they all take a bite....;)

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by George16v on 24 June 2005

Think you will find the mk1 is quicker, Mine is the same performance as my old cup, which was def. faster than the mk2 172.

Also the mk1 cruises at 85mph at 4k rpm, the cup and mk2 172 cruises at 75 at 4k rpm (ish)
If yours is, I guess they all must be.

Exactly. because the gears are longer. Its better for cruising, but worse for acceleration.
Oh and back on topic, wasnt there a thread a while ago that listed numbers of Clios taxed in a particular year? Not exact, but may give you a clue as to how many were made. Or Jeremy Townsend may be able to tell you. Or Even Renault UK. Depends how eager you are to find out. I would imagine the numbers are quite low, you dont see many about. At least I dont anyway.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member

Me.

And its not a silver one.

Sorry day, another black mk1 here :)

Bought off Bens (with the supercharged saxo) dad.

And I love it.

Quote: Originally posted by Evoo on 24 June 2005
Sorry day, another black mk1 here :)

Nothing to be sorry about dude, in fact welcome to the elite :D

I did have a titanium mk1 172 straight after having a blue mk2 172. Now Ive got a black mk2. imho the mk1 was a bit faster than the mk2s but i have much more faith in the handling of the mk2s.

No ESP on either of mine. First was an 02 plate, new one is a 51 plate. Put mk2 springs on the mk1 and it improved things, but the mk2 has quite a different feel to it.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member

My mk1 feels loads more twitchy than the 19 before it (RIP :( ), guess its the shorter wheelbase.

Although the 19 is actually quite a small car, body is a bit longer but reckon its just as narrow as the Clio.

God I miss that car :(