ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why’s it so hard to sell cars on here

320d M Sport

Ill prob be selling in a few weeks but looking through the "For Sale" bit no-one really has had any luck on there??

Do you think its because most people on here already have the car theyre after?

After all, most that go up for sale are pretty much immaculate?

I found a buyer for my old 16V on here. Depends on the car really - most people want a dealer warranty if theyre looking at a £5k+ purchase, so classified buys have to have a real price advantage.

Id imagine a Phase2 172 like yours would be for sale at £8.5k+, which will attract a lot of competition from garages. Not so for a £3k 16V or rare as hell Williams.

Distance could be a reason - most people dont like to travel and the cars are from all over the UK.

Clio v6

If people told us when they did sell the cars on here we could remove 3 more posts each year. :)

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

I bought my 172 from a guy on here.. flew down to london with my GF and a mate to get it..

I would say that most people on here arent looking for a car.

If i could afford teh car and insurence i would snap urs up in a flash, unfortunatly insurence companies dont like 18 year olds to have top of the range 2 litre sports models

GR7

Shiny red R32

Quote: Originally posted by paddymph on 03 February 2004

Ill prob be selling in a few weeks but looking through the "For Sale" bit no-one really has had any luck on there??

Could it possibly be that the sellers and buyers dont live close enough to each other? I cant imagine anyone travelling hundreds of miles to buy a second-hand car.

could be, theres a few cars ive seen recently that ive been very interested in but they are at the other end of the country. nightmare!

Lee

BMW M2C

It could be that weve all read the horror stories and racing tales about some of the cars for sale on here. :eek:

Ph1

No its because everybodys too busy looking for links about SexyRT !!!!

:(

Distance - Most people are unwilling or unable to travel the length of the country to view a car they might not even buy.

Judgement - Its often hard to judge a car by a description and photos on a website, and the whole business of buying cars online makes people aprrihensive.

Also, chances are if you wont be visiting this site much if you dont have a clio already, thus you wont be looking to buy one.

That said, there are always exceptions to this..

I disagree with the not prepared to travel scenario. I travelled ffrom Leeds to Livingston for my 172, firstly to view, saw it and within 5 mins i had put my deposit down. Three days later travelled back up and picked it up.

Great fun driving down the motorway :D

I dont see why its such a hassle to do some travelling to find your perfect partner!! hehe

also as soon as anyone advertises a car, no matter what price they put people with no interest in the car will start saying what they think its worth, usually making the car seem expensive when in reality its not...

a car is worth what someones willing to pay, and with the likes of the 16v, its value is way out from any book prices etc, and totally dependent on each cars merits.

look through the sale section to see all the my mate sold his with less miles for 2 grand less than that crap.... cars for sale should be PM only or something, then only genuine constructive interest gets through.

Clio16vPaul - youve hit the nail on the head there, topics in the for sale forum should be locked once they are posted, and all replies through pm, this will stop the derogatory comments about price, looks etc etc

its an enthusiast website and people dont like to sell their cars for what they feel its worth. And people can get similar cars outside this site for far less.

Most of the prices on here are highly unrealistic except to otehr enthusiasts.

Exactly..and most people dont want modified cars anyway. I know if i was looking for a 172 id wait until i found a little old granny with one!

Also the simple fact is most of us have a car, which is why we joined cliosport in the first place!

-Rob

Probably because - The people selling them, have undoubtedly posted on here about all the cars they have raced, and beaten, thus giving any prospective buyers a good insight into how the cars been treated. LOL !

The Jinx

Ive had no luck, but then Im selling a dci 80! Even with my proclamations regarding bang for insurance/fuel buck no ones interested.

E90

Quote: Originally posted by mike8579 on 04 February 2004

Ive had no luck, but then Im selling a dci 80! Even with my proclamations regarding bang for insurance/fuel buck no ones interested.
It sounds like a Mini Cab, maybe thats the problem.;)

Ive sold plenty of cars through forums/websites. Ive also bought 3 which I spied in the same way. Travelled to Chester to buy my Impreza without seeing it, and London to buy my Cup. Its all part of the adventure! :) Same goes for parts - bought an exhaust from someone on here, and sold it to someone here too! Sold tons of parts on ScoobyNet without a single problem.

IMHO buying through a website which caters to enthusiasts means you have a greater chance of buying a decent car (or bits for cars) thats been well looked after. Especially when youre able to get a feel for the seller/buyer through previous posts - Id not be as comfortable buying from someone few posts.

I dont think distance is a problem, I got the train to Brighton with 4 1/2 grand in my pocket to buy my car without seeing it from a dealer. I got all the info I wanted over the phone and made sure he wasnt mailto:f@cking">f@cking me about [he didnt know I had the money when I bought the car and couldnt believe it when I paid in cash]. I think its hard to sell on here because we all have the cars we want [although I want a 172 next and will look on here first, didnt know about the forum until after I bought my car !!!].

Id have to agree with BenR, prices are higher than elsewhere as the owners are entusiasts so love thier cars and dont wana let them go for peanuts. At the end of the day tho what you are selling it worth whatever someone else is willing to pay, regardless of what any books/guides say.

Well I sold mine......through autotrader. Got loads of calls from people wanting to sell my car for me, saying "we have people looking to buy a car like yours right now, pay us a fee and we will put your car on the database. We will get these people to view your car. blah blah blah." what a load of crap, but it was fun making them think I was falling for their sales pitch, then just when they think they;ve got it in the bag telling them Nah not interested just to hear their reaction.

ditto, had a call from some bloke in orlando florida a few days ago saying i won a trip worth 1300 quid.

WEnt through the chat (about 30 mins), he pitch which was GOOD, saying i would me my GFs hero, gave me a guided tour with pic on teh net, kept saying stuff like "but dont fotget to pack your bathing suit cause your gonna get wet!".....i was laughing so hard.

at the end, 580 off quid needed on a credit card and it doesnt include flights.

Ok i thought, nice pitch, it really was.......then at the end, i started givng him my credit card numbers until the last 4! hahahaha.....then said no thanks, no cash.

Man, his voice.....killer good fun!

Its probably that most people on here are complaining about how hard it is to sell a car, rather than trying to BUY one.

:)

williams and trophy

Quote: Originally posted by GirlRacer on 03 February 2004

Could it possibly be that the sellers and buyers dont live close enough to each other? I cant imagine anyone travelling hundreds of miles to buy a second-hand car.
lol...the day i bought my williams, i travelled over 700 miles and saw 6 cars.all in the same day

when id put the deposit down on mine, in kent, drove back home in the valver, another 350 miles hehe

goin down for it the week after was ok cos i was workin in slough at the time...........driving it back up the m1 at 3 am was he best bit tho hehe hit the limiters in 5th within an hour of buyin it....for educational reasons of course hehe