ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

why are 172's so good on petrol?

Evo VI Tommi Makinen
I do mostly town driving and short journeys so i never get above 25mpg.
So a £40 tanks gets me about 220 miles :cool:

2007 MK5 VW Golf TDi
I get about 31 - 32MPG but don't do much motorway driving... 30 - 35 miles a day plus weekend driving. £30 gets me about 250 miles.

Turbos.
You can't beat lightweight and torque... it can crawl below 30mph in 5th. I can get 37mpg no problems and if try hard, around 45mpg.

The Mini's Tritec engine is fubbish, my Cooper had awful fuel consumption, 30mpg max.

BMW 328 Ci
I think a lot of cars can suprise you with MPG these days of engineering. My 2.3 V5 will get 33ish on a straight run and on the way back from picking up my E36 BMW 328i Auto I got 35mpg. Both drop like a stone as soon as you get stuck in a jam or floor it though. My friend in his E46 330Ci gets about 29ish and he rags it a lot.

I cant believe in 3 pages of posts no-one has commented on the fact that petrol has gone up in price a lot over the last year - we are talking mileage for pounds here - £10 was equal to 100 miles in January, would probably only get you 80 miles now (at a guess) due to the extra price. I know the prices have dropped a lot over the last couple of weeks but at one stage we were talkin over a pound a litre, which makes a massive difference. 10 litres would have cost over a tenner where as now 10 litres costs 8.89 (at 88.9 a litre) so for a tenner you would get well over an extra litre which will obviously make the car go further.
Dont get me wrong I completely agree they are good on fuel but I bet a 1.6 mini one would be no worse. Depends how you drive - if at 80mph on the motorway I would expect it to use more that a 172 as the 1.6 would struggle more thus using more petrol than the 172.

Focus ST3 + proper Mini
Used to get 38mpg every week out of mine. doing a 50 mile return trip every day. Lowest I saw in 3yrs ownership was 32mpg.

Now driving a 2.0ltr Leon FR TDi and I'm getting 42mpg, but this is getting better with the more miles I put on the new engine.

When I traded the 172 in the dealer didnt believe me either about the mpg!!

none, just walk
i think its all down to the way your driving it really, i dont really take the motorway to work or anything, i literally live 3 miles from work so its the little trips i do, thats what hurts the mini the most, i am stunned by the mini mpg, the petrol prices are quite good at the moment

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
I used to get 350 at a push out my 1.2. I get over 300 in my 172 every long trip.

Chocolate Bar™
I get 40 out of mine easily, and believe me i dont take it slowly at all. Thats approx 8 mpg less than i got in my 1.2. I think part of the reasoning behind it is that you really dont need to rag them as much to get a fun drive.