ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why are they so calm?!?!?

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Controlled skid,nicely do. Dad always said steer into a skid but tht just makes me worry about what is going to be steered into :S

This is why everyone should do skidpan work or spend some time getting sideways on a deserted roundabout at night in the wet / snow. The more you do it, the more used to it you become, and when it happens unexpectedly you automatically know what to do without screaming like a girl and just standing on the brakes while you spear off into the nearest tree and kill yourself.

n2x

e60/f10
This is why everyone should do skidpan work or spend some time getting sideways on a deserted roundabout at night in the wet / snow. The more you do it, the more used to it you become, and when it happens unexpectedly you automatically know what to do without screaming like a girl and just standing on the brakes while you spear off into the nearest tree and kill yourself.

Agree. Went sideways @ 45mph last winter on a busy road. Fortunately it was a 3-lane road and there were to cars right next to me so i could drift and recover. Almost shat the pants but recovered very nicely because i´ve been practicing a lot. Can´t imagine someone with no sideways experience ever staying on the road at that speed.

itb'd RB 182 cup
Totally agree with this^ I think a few skid pan sessions should be compulsary with driving lessons.

Arctic Blue FF 182

Another agree here! I paid and did a skidpan course few years ago, quite possibly the best thing I ever did! I know I used what I learnt automatically on at least 1 occasion when I hit a diesel spillage! Should be part of the test for sure.

This one ^ (someday)
Im pretty sure skid pan lessons are compulsory in Finland, makes sense with all the ice and stuff but I cant see why they shouldnt do it here!

When i was learning to drive and it snowed my dad took me to a car park in a RWD pick up truck and I have learned a little bit that way but my new favourite game is to try and get the back out round small round abouts in the clio (obviously when deserted at night).

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
That was a mix of downright stupidity and pure unfiltered luck. No skill involved there at all.

n2x

e60/f10
Im pretty sure skid pan lessons are compulsory in Finland, makes sense with all the ice and stuff but I cant see why they shouldnt do it here!

Compulsory here too. The main thing to remember is to press the clutch down and no sudden steering movements, rather smooth and small to get the car in control again. Worked wonders!