ClioSport.net

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

  • When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sticking caliper?

ex-Chinese Dave

ClioSport Club Member
Car  172 Cup
A noise from the rear nearside that I’ve posted about in the suspension section as it sounds like a dodgy damper may have a new twist. Pulling away slowly from the golf club today that same corner made a loud banging noise several times over the first 20 meters or so. It sounds like a thick branch stuck in the tyre tread that hits the inside of the wheel arch really hard then stops after a few seconds. During the rest of the drive I heard nothing.
Has anyone else had this? Could it be a sticking caliper? I’m going to be jacking the car up tomorrow to fit a new o/s damper so I can have a good look, but to honest I didn’t see anything last week when I looked.
 
I fixed this issue on a 172 rear under braking. Im sure it was loose rear pads or seized sliders, i sorted it by changing the rear discs and pads.

Grease the sliders, check bolt torque on the caliper, check rear wheel bearing for play and maybe retorque hub nut. Take pads out and grease up the mating points/make sure anti rattle springs are tight.
 
There's no play in the wheel bearings and no whiney noises at all. The calipers were new/refurbs fitted last year by Birchdown and new pads were also fitted. The retaining springs all seem tight but i'm wondering if a bit of copper grease on the pad backs may help. I did have an issue with the handbrake mechanism on one of the calipers and the lads changed it foc but I can't remember which side it was. I'll check the bolts are all tight tomorrow.
 
Back
Top