ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why change?

Inferno 182
I've had my 182 for a few years now. I cover low mileage and the car has only done 26,000. Whenever I drive it I enjoy it.
Because I'm a petrolhead, I often think about what I will change it for, even though I don't need to.
Thing is, without shelling out a lot more money, I can't find a better car.
Is it just me? are many of you happy to hold on to your car for the forseeable?
I know there is a new generation of hot hatches out there now but from the road tests I have read, none would be worthwhile getting, because very few are as much fun as the 182. I care more about handling than drag racing so don't care if a Corsa VXR is quicker and certianly wouldn't pay another 5k to get one.
Only thing I am tempted by is a Trophy, or a 200 Cup. Not willing to pay the extra for the 200 really. Maybe I should just fit Trophy dampers to my car as it will be a lot less hassle?, and my car has lots of mods I would want on the Trophy too.
Any opinions on the driving difference between a Trophy and a 182 Cup?

Clio 1.5dci
I changed!

A 1.5 dci like the 182 it can too sit happily at 80/90mph except that it has double the fuel efficiency :)

.... :(

Clio 1.5dci
but it looks sh1t.....

Actually it looks like this
AETV62006008_1.jpg

Which whilst not as nice looking as a 182 .. I don't think looks bad! (unless you just have a dislike for how clios look?)

Besides suggesting it as a suitable change was only tongue in cheek.

I'm in the same position, debating changing next year as I've had mine 4 years and its getting on a bit. Only thing I'm considering is an R26, but worth an extra 6k+ when I'm happy with what I've got? Trying to save for a house deposit eventually so its hard to justify it.

BMW F21 125d
I'm in the same position, debating changing next year as I've had mine 4 years and its getting on a bit. Only thing I'm considering is an R26, but worth an extra 6k+ when I'm happy with what I've got? Trying to save for a house deposit eventually so its hard to justify it.

Me too, I'm constantly looking at new cars, when there's nothing wrong with the 182, it's also paid for and I only do 5,500 miles per year, why spend for no need?
As i've owned it 2 years (and a 172 before) sensability seems to take a hold of me every time.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
My 182 is mint, nothing wrong with it all, i've been fancying a change having driven them for not far off 5 years, but there is nothing better for the dosh.

I do about 15k a year though, so fuel costs quite abit.

Stripped yozza'd cup
I don't think there's anything that's more fit for purpose than 1*2 Clio. I wouldn't bother getting a trophy... Worth just getting the Sachs, or some coilovers.

RS 182 CUP
Corsa vxr s aren't that quick, astras are but if your looking at 2 litre turbos then the megane wins on handling again. I've had quicker cars than my Clio before but the handling keeps me hooked, if I think it's lacking in a certain area I upgrade it until I'm happy, if I did decide to get another motor it'd be a trophy, just because it's the logical step, only 500 of them made makes it very exclusive.

Black Gold Trophy
Completely agree. I've considered changing many times, owned it 3 years as of this month.

But it is such a great car, it has been so reliable (despite so many people told me it wouldn't be), I've had so much fun driving it, and mine is absolutely mint.
The resale values are crap at the moment, and people would rather spend £3-4k buying a sh*t one than spending a bit more and buying an enthusiast owned one in mint condition, so I would rather not do my car the injustice and keep it.

If you're considering a trophy, just get a second hand set of Trophy Sachs dampers, I've got them on my FF and on my missus' 182 cup, never looked back. I would rather have the xenons etc, than sacrifice all of the luxuries just for some red paint!

I considered an R26 but again, I'd rather keep my car and hold off upgrading than sell it for peanuts!

Last edited:
  Inferno 182
Glad I'm not alone!
Megane R26 would tempt me away but no way it will happen based on the price difference.
I'm not exactly afraid of older cars either, I have 2 others, one 1962, the other 1972, so my 182 will always seem new!
Trophy dampers it is....now, just have to wait to find some!

Black Gold Trophy
^only a few weeks ago there were 2 or 3 sets in the for sale section, I think Grewham still has a set for sale

Golf V6 4motion, although old now, is a mint car. Similar money to the 182's, similar insurance etc just drinks a fair bit more fuel. Lovely motors, put some coilys on it and your laughing!

Fabia VRS & Yeti
V6 4motion? No ta! If I wasn't worried about fuel costs I'd have a 350Z!
I've had my 182 for about 5 years now, didn't change it before as I was saving for a deposit, now couldn't replace it with any dissimilar as I have a mortgage!
I was tempted by the 200 deals a few months back but only for the warranty. I do 54 a mile round trip to work and £200 a month on fuel, the only thing I would like is a 6th gear. I also can't see much point in changing for the forseable future, at the price they are going for at the moment I'd buy another one if I had a drive to park it on and keep it for trackdays/weekends!