ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why do people change the standard headunits?

172 ph2
Just been having a look at the posts on here, and was wondering why people change the standard clio head units and speakers? they aint that bad are they?

Standard HU cant play MP3 discs :)

< 20 tracks to a disc FTL!

ALso, I uprated the front 13cm speakers to Infinity's, noticeable improvement over originals!!

RenaultSport 172
I've found the quality is ok, and they look like they're supposed to be there as opposed to aftermarket ones.
I bought a lead for mine so I can use an I-pod and control it though the standard head unit and steering wheel controls.

M2 Competition
Standard HU cant play MP3 discs :)

< 20 tracks to a disc FTL!

ALso, I uprated the front 13cm speakers to Infinity's, noticeable improvement over originals!!

The ones ive had could :S

Because some people think if its not modded its pap. Ive really liked the standard head units in my clio's.

Looks oem and goes with the rest of the car inside, and wont get your windows broken and it nicked...

RenaultSport 172
I totally agree Peperami. Sometimes aftermarket stereos look so naff. They don't fit properly or they don't match the dash etc

172 cup
granted some look naff but you have to be a complete fool to buy one that going to look s**t. As for windows broken, that depends on where you come from loll

I bought mine because i wanted bluetooth for the phone (i've never used it) and MP3 compatibility. Also the use of my ipod seemed important at the time so i got a cheap ipod lead. I like the headunit itself but i think i could have done with the standard one if it played MP3.

172 ph2
makes sence now, i like how it looks but not playing mp3 is an issue, i assume you have to get a plastic facia to fill the gap the old head unit would leave when you upgrade?

tbh I don't think the OE speakers sound that bad once you take the responsibility of bass away from them. The headunit although not terrible is far from great. I needed/wanted better SQ, line out for amp(s)/sub, Ipod control etc so the standard one was no use.

Evo 8 MR
The ones ive had could :S

Because some people think if its not modded its pap. Ive really liked the standard head units in my clio's.

Looks oem and goes with the rest of the car inside, and wont get your windows broken and it nicked...

Theres the one small problem that you can't connect an external amplifier or subwoofer to it.

Then there's the limit of CD's.

There are aftermarket units that go with the car you just have to pay the price for it just like any other mod, that answer the question?

172 Cup, AX trackbeast.
Mine had an Alpine when I bought it.

I have a Bluetooth MP3 headunit, it was cheap as chips, but does the job. I'm not an audiophile, I don't listen to music at serious volume in my car, so a banging headunit is a waste of time for me.

The only problem is that it can't be operated by the steering wheel controls. (Being a cheapo Maplin jobby, no leads are available)

I can live with that, my arms are long enough to reach the stereo.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
couldn't care what it looked like, changed mine for mp3 functionality plus the extra power of the hu over standard makes a difference imho. Just sounds better than with the standard hu.

Expert HDI & R53

Yes mate, Not sure which model...Took me ages to find the right head unit that look something like OEM.

101_5480.gif

Clio 172 RS2
I've found the quality is ok, and they look like they're supposed to be there as opposed to aftermarket ones.
I bought a lead for mine so I can use an I-pod and control it though the standard head unit and steering wheel controls.

What kind of lead?

Could you enlighten me? As the standard HU only has so much line-in mounts.

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
Any idea of a cable for the Trophy (05 update list HU) to allow me to connect Iphone 3G?

Cheers!

Dip

04 Clio 16V Dynamique
The standard one has limited connetivity. Thats all I hated, and the fact I've had my Alpine 9855R for 4 years. Bought new and its gone through 2 cars with missing a beat. It would just be pointless to sell it on.