ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why SUV's don't make good ring cars.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
[skip to about 1:00]

Ooft. :S

Part of me wants to laugh... part of me wants to ensure they are quite alright first !!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ocrlew

ClioSport Club Member
Wow not nice, hope they were ok!
But why oh why would you drive that round the nurbugring and be pushing it?

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
That wasn't actually that bad a crash. The impact was pretty minimal and it could have been a lot bloody worse!!

An orange one
looks pretty bad to me personally!

i certainly wouldnt have wanted to be in it anyways

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
That wasn't actually that bad a crash. The impact was pretty minimal and it could have been a lot bloody worse!!

initial impact wasnt massive, but still not an accident I would fancy, if that car had landed roof first on a barrier post it could have been horrible.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
So you're agreeing with me?? :S
Im saying I agree the impact wasnt big, but the effects of it were, it was still a big accident despite the small initial impact.
IMHO it shows why a people carrier at the ring is a bad idea, when even a small accident can have such bad results.

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
So yes, you're agreeing with me. But in typical chip fashion you have to have a little disagreement somewhere, just for the sake of it.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
So yes, you're agreeing with me. But in typical chip fashion you have to have a little disagreement somewhere, just for the sake of it.

Im giving my opinion of the crash, half of which agrees with what you said, half doesnt.

So more accuraetly, in typical chip fashion I am giving my honest opinion, and as usual I couldnt care less who it does or doesnt agree with.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
How do you have so many posts already Chip!? Spam-alert ;D
Lol, quite easily, being a massive petrolhead lots of topics on here interest me :)

Looked like a nasty crash, but the SUV seemed to take the hits well!
Its amazing how good ALL modern cars are really in most types of crashes, safety has come so far in the last couple of decades!

Can't believe he J-turned it. Must be RWD?

EDIT: what's with the recent Chip bashing? Are we now censoring opinions and discussion? Maybe we should all just agree with each other and talk about lols and lows. That would be an awesome forum wouldn't it. F*S.

Last edited:
  Oil Burner
Ouch, turns out they are alright.

Check out this one from friday, lots of crashes in the space of 2 mins. At the viewpoint.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fomucDka4_0

Clearly something on the track, pretty sure you can see it too.

People are also decking morons. Parking on a live circuit - where people have been spinning and then running back up the track where more people are spinning. Possibly evolution at work there...

McGherkin

Macca fan boiiiii
ClioSport Club Member
People are also decking morons. Parking on a live circuit - where people have been spinning and then running back up the track where more people are spinning. Possibly evolution at work there...

Woah, woah woah, I didn't say anything about actually parking on the track. On the verge further along is fine. Nurburgring's rules actually state that the next driver along should pull over in a safe place and go and help.

Oil Burner
Woah, woah woah, I didn't say anything about actually parking on the track. On the verge further along is fine. Nurburgring's rules actually state that the next driver along should pull over in a safe place and go and help.

I didn't suggest you said anything.

But it is moronic for that person to park unsighted after a corner that you nearly spun on yourself and then running up a live circuit.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
EDIT: what's with the recent Chip bashing? Are we now censoring opinions and discussion? Maybe we should all just agree with each other and talk about lols and lows. That would be an awesome forum wouldn't it. F*S.

Lol, it is quite bizarre. People getting annoyed at on topic intelligently constructed replies.

Its not like it's hard to simply move the scrollbar past anyone's opinion like a grown up if you don't want to read it, rather than throw a tantrum about it. Lol

53 Clio's & counting
That looks like someone has dropped oil on the bend, inside looks very slick.

This. Near every car was loosing grip, the track doesn't look wet so id say some fluid is down. (talking about the second vid btw)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Clearly something on the track, pretty sure you can see it too.

That particular part of the track is bad for if it rains it and then the sun comes out it dries quite patchy, so might just be that?

I was passenger a few years ago in a 450bhp rwd cosworth powered focus that had an accident on the second half of that bend due to a patch of wet on the racing line.

53 Clio's & counting
That particular part of the track is bad for if it rains it and then the sun comes out it dries quite patchy, so might just be that?

I was passenger a few years ago in a 450bhp rwd cosworth powered focus that had an accident on the second half of that bend due to a patch of wet on the racing line.

Quite possible mate, iv not been out to the Ring in a few years so I can't comment on the grip levels.

Though it seems very very slippery, even the cars taking a different line are slipping about - I would speculate some fluid was dropped either at the corner before or just before the corner in the picture.

Or Mario and luigi had just been round in their go carts dropping bananas - those f**king bananas always fucked me up playing Mariocart

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yeah it would only take a tiny bit of oil on a damp track to cause big issues, especially with the amount of gradient on that bend and the fact you come in with the suspension loaded up cornering left then have to transfer all the weight across for the right.

Properly dangerous track.