ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why SUV's don't make good ring cars.

53 Clio's & counting
Yeah it would only take a tiny bit of oil on a damp track to cause big issues, especially with the amount of gradient on that bend and the fact you come in with the suspension loaded up cornering left then have to transfer all the weight across for the right.

Properly dangerous track.

Totally agree, it scares me how many people drive it flat out (locals are fine as they know it, but the amount of English 'newbies' I spoke to last time chasing lap times just shocked me)

I think people forget it is a super fast track and 99% of it has zero run off, even after however many laps I have done, it is still a track that needs massive respect and if I was at 7/10ths Id been suprised.

53 Clio's & counting
That corner is left, then a straight then left again, I'm sure....

He means the left hander before that one where everyone was spinning mate.

The section leading to it is a right, small downhill straight, left, small straight, then that downhill right, straight, then uphill right.

If i remember right lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Totally agree, it scares me how many people drive it flat out (locals are fine as they know it, but the amount of English 'newbies' I spoke to last time chasing lap times just shocked me)

I think people forget it is a super fast track and 99% of it has zero run off, even after however many laps I have done, it is still a track that needs massive respect and if I was at 7/10ths Id been suprised.

I used to drive it ten tents like a uk track but since I crashed there about half a dozen years ago I am a lot more restrained now!

Like you say the lack of runoff is mental, leave the track at 90 and you're still doing 88 probably when you hit the barrier in most places as you have ten foot of grass to try and slow down on.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Iirc that corner is after brunnchen...

No mate, it's deffo brunchen the cameraman is stood at on the clip with several cars spinning off.
Eiskerve is the one before that not after. It's the left hander you see in the clip.

Brünnchen ("Small Fountain")

A favorite spectator vantage point, the Brünnchen section is composed of two right hand corners and a very short straight. The first corner goes sharply downhill and the next, after the very short downhill straight, goes uphill slightly. This is a section of the track where on public days, accidents happen particularly at the blind uphill right hand corner. Like almost every corner at the Nürburgring, both right handers are blind. The short straight used to have a steep and sudden drop-off that caused cars to take off; this was taken out and smoothed over when the circuit was rebuilt in 1970 and 1971.

Last edited:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Read the description, not sure what your German is like but I imagine good ;) it's not brunnchen mate.

Extremer Unfall in der Eiskurve

the double right the cameraman is stood on the first bend of is brunnchen.

Last edited:
  53 Clio's & counting
Worst cameraman in the world (after me). Everything's happening on the lower corner, and he's focusing on the top one every time.

Also end of the world, someone stopped and got out of their car.

The guy who parked up should have driven further down imo ( so cars coming round that corner at speed would have seen it and given time to react if required) and he should have jumped the barrier and ran up that way - walking the inside line of a corner which is super slippery on s live track is silly bordering on stupid

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Watch that video. I'm sure that video shows him leaving brunnchen and heading up, as you can see the crowd at brunnchen and distinctive stone trap on the left.

Not sure what video you are on about. I'm still talking about the one I showed you in post 43.
The one I quoted is spectator stood at brunnchen filming cars on the eschbach bend before and during brunnchen.
The red car that spins halfway through is in the middle of the two brunnchen rights.

Ive watched from there many times. The English call it 'showboat'

FML, I'm on my phone, that was hard work!

Anyway, love brunnchen :) Always mint for crashes like you say, good overtaking spot as well, I gave it a proper go last year, calmed down a bit after my crash like you really :(

Limiter in 3rd FTW!!

Last edited by a moderator:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I love it so much there that even watching and talking about crashes there is making me wish I was going back sooner than the October trip we are doing next!

Totally epic track.

I contemplated moving out there the first time I went! Would be happy with a s**t bar job, 1 bed flat and then just a track car - Done!!

August for me, hopefully end of may as well but might be to tight for LeMan :(

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Lol!
Yeah i was doing those sums after my first trip to see if i could afford a b&b there to run to make enough to spend all my free time on the track. i couldnt though, lol. I always used to do two trips a year but last year was first time for nearly a decade i didnt go at all and down to just one this year due to other commitments. :(

Haha, I'm sure most people who have gone have had them thoughts. As you know it's much easier for the locals with regards insurance etc. Horrible when you have a 700mile trip home after :(

Soz about the confusion thats my fault with the second video :S
Im supprised the spectators didnt try and slow drivers down, they seemed to be out for blood according to BTG

emc

172 Cup
Can't believe he J-turned it. Must be RWD?

EDIT: what's with the recent Chip bashing? Are we now censoring opinions and discussion? Maybe we should all just agree with each other and talk about lols and lows. That would be an awesome forum wouldn't it. F*S.

This is the second time I've seen someone referring to a spin as a J-turn on here. Is it an inside joke, because I swear a J-turn is when you reverse and then whack it on full lock which looks like a J?

If there is oil on the track, can't you get pretty badly fined for leaking oil on the ring?

McGherkin

Macca fan boiiiii
ClioSport Club Member
This is the second time I've seen someone referring to a spin as a J-turn on here. Is it an inside joke, because I swear a J-turn is when you reverse and then whack it on full lock which looks like a J?

Yes, it's a joke. Someone saw a spin and called it a J-turn. Then they went on to state that it was impossible to J-turn a FWD car iirc.

BMW F21 125d
If I was in that BMW I'd have pulled the f**k over.

Thats my mate in that M3 CSL. And this is his personal response to why he didn't stop....

"on a serious note, saw they were both ok and plenty of marshalls about so carried on. Would have been different on a quieter part of track"

And a extra pic for you all, just as it all started.

427821_10150948623369782_738574781_13040555_1397200803_n.jpg

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If you leave oil you are responsible for all subsequent crashes iirc

Yes, the german liability system works such that if you are seen to put a chain of events in progress you end up liable for the whole chain of events, even if you have left the scene previous to some of it happening.

Driving at the ring can end up VERY expensive if you make a mistake and get unlucky.

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
People applauding the crashing :slap:
Reminds me of the WRC when spectators throw snow on the track to see some action.