ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why would my Carbon Canister be ticking??

clio 1.4 16v 02
thinking of taking off the Carbon Canister as its ticking, can some1 tell me why it would be ticking? is it safe to take off the Canister?

Thanks

No idea why it ticks, but it's perfectly safe to take it off (I think it's just opening it that's risky)

I did mine, was easy as! Some people say you can run the car without the carbon canister, personal choice though.

No car
In that case it's most probably broken in two sections... So when the car is running the vibration causes the two parts to rattle together causing a sort of ticking noise. Not sure if that explains it but it's what's happening with mine so I'm gona take it off during the week! Isit hard to take it off?

What is this carbon canister?

Collects harmful particles from the fumes from the petrol tank iirc.

In that case it's most probably broken in two sections... So when the car is running the vibration causes the two parts to rattle together causing a sort of ticking noise. Not sure if that explains it but it's what's happening with mine so I'm gona take it off during the week! Isit hard to take it off?

3 bolts and some hoses.

Piece of piss to take off, bumper and wheelarch needs to come off, that's the hardest bit!

clio 1.4 16v 02
There is an electrical wire running into the top of it.

I simply unplugged the electrical wire that goes into the canister, never even thought about EML, I didn't get one though, not something I've heard of either.

Thanks mate, big help appreciate it :).. 1 more question if you dont mind, I know I block off the pipe going to the inlet but what do I do with the pipe leading to the tank? block it or leave it open to let the vapours out? thanks :)

Thanks mate, big help appreciate it :).. 1 more question if you dont mind, I know I block off the pipe going to the inlet but what do I do with the pipe leading to the tank? block it or leave it open to let the vapours out? thanks :)

This is where I got a little lost also, I'm not sure which pipe needs blocking off, I replaced the canister because I didn't want to start bodging anything on the car, so unfortunately with regards to not running the canister, I'm not too sure.

Westy. MX5
There should have been a sensor plugged into the top of the CC, pull it out of the CC, leave the 2 wires connected to the sensor and tie wrap it behind the headlight (otherwise the Emmisions light will come on, MOT will be looking at warning lights this year) and discard the CC. Plug the pipe going to the inlet manifold and leave the the pipe going to the tank vented to the atmoshere, tie wrap it to the bodywork somewhere.