ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

widest tyres

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
What's the widest tyres possible to fit on the standard rims of a 172 phase2? Standard tyres are 195/45/16 and my car had 215/40/16 on it when i bought it.
I know some may feel it to be overkill, but i really like the wide tyre look and would like to know how far it's possible to take it. The suspension and wheel arches are unmodified.
Does anyone know?

215's look pretty good on it at the moment, like i said, i really like the wide tyre look, i dont expect everyone to, i just want to know what's possible to fit.

has nobody tried to fit stupidly wide tyres on their clio? come on, someone on here must have given it a go?!!!!

Why would they?, curiosity maybe, maybe in the search for out-right grip, who knows, I'd just like to know!!!!!

Black Clio GT
you can get 235's on a 7j rim but will just look like a drag car and wouldnt fancy driving round corners in anger.....

heres the pics, 215's photo-1.jpg

photo-2.jpg

photo-3.jpg

photo.jpg

lmfao, they don't look any different.
You're right, they don't look any different!!! That's why I was wondering how wide you could go as the rims are clearly able for wider tyres.

S4 Avant
I think the limit on a 7" wide wheel is a 225 tyre. Would look very oversized though, a lot like an offroad tyre.

Don't forget as well, that the profile of the tyre is expressed as a percentage of the width. A 225/45 tyre would have a huge profile compared to a 195/45

I think the limit on a 7" wide wheel is a 225 tyre. Would look very oversized though, a lot like an offroad tyre.

Don't forget as well, that the profile of the tyre is expressed as a percentage of the width. A 225/45 tyre would have a huge profile compared to a 195/45

i assume as you increase the width you would reduce the profile to keep the rolling radius as close to standard as possible.

Okay, gonna move the goalposts on this one,

what are the widest tyres anyone has fitted to a 172/182 on any size of wheel?

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
Those pics you've put up don't really show tyre width, could do with a rear end shot.

People have fitted wide wheels to clios, 9J I think? But they seem to go for tyre stretch, so the actual tyre width might only be 195/205.

172, BMW 120 Msport.
Personally i think wider tyres look soo much better, but im not bothered how the car handles at stupid speeds round corners. As i dont take it on track and dont risk losing my license...

This scooby has wider tyres, and lets be honest. it looks the dogs dangleys.

scooby.jpg

I'll have to check the width of the wheels on the beemer, they have 225s on and pretty sure they are only going to be 7j.

Personally i think wider tyres look soo much better, but im not bothered how the car handles at stupid speeds round corners. As i dont take it on track and dont risk losing my license...

scooby.jpg
sure does look good, i wonder how wide they are?

Chelsea tractor

scooby.jpg
That looks complete toss

172, BMW 120 Msport.
Maybe you think it does, but it would look a lot worse with stretched tyres thats for sure!!

53 Clio's & counting
Sitting in the grooves of the 1st lane on the motorway where lorries have worn tramlines into the road surface. I find it bad on 195 sometimes never mind 215!

This is not the term tramlining mate.

Tramlining is where a car follows the dips and grooves worn into any road, be it a long groove, or simply a section of dips in the road, its called tramlining as trams can only go where the rails go, in effect being led by the tram lines, which the term is carried over with road vehicles if they do the above.

Wider tyres can cause more tramlining as the size a weight of the tyre will always try to follow the natual line in the road which is why a car will always fall a groove in the road.