ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

will i notice??

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
putting a 195/50/15 spare on my car,

all other tyres are 195/45/15??

obvs ill put it on the back, but will i notice the difference in driving?

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
tbh, it will probs be until the new year since i planned to buy a whole new set the anyways!
i dont do many miles though

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Illegal to have different size tyres on the same axle. 3 Points £60 fine if caught..

2005 Clio Sport 182
as long as its on the rear it'll be alright and most cars spare tyre's are a different size to the rest.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
MOTs not due for a while so i cant see how thats relevant lol.

surely it would be better to have matching on rear, save the dif from being constantly spinning.

hmm, ill stick to short drives until after christmas.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
I can't see how it would be ok? I would never consider doing it myself....

how can you no see how it would be ok??

5mm larger sidewall makes the overall circumferance 2.13% longer, meaning the larger tyre will turn ever so slightly slower than the smaller tyre.
so when the other 4 wheels are doing 30, the spare will be doing 29.37mph
being on the back its not going to be spinning the diff at all, and may affect the tracking ever so slightly, but as said, contact2s after christmas, this is just a temp measure due to bad timing.

it grinds my gears the way people just make comments stating things, without any justification what so ever, either give some DECENT input, or don't comment.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
i never said my mind wasnt made up,
i asked if i would notice,

i was looking more for responses such as

dont do it BECAUSE...................................

rather than just dont do it.

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
Mate I've had to do it before, as in my post just make sure the tyres that are matching are on the rear axle. The end. And if old bill pull you and you explain that you felt it was better to run a slightly different tyre size rather that a bald one for safeties sake, I don't know a single copper that would prosecute you for that.

But it is illegal so it's always the risk you take.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
but my question is, why have them matching on the rear??
having different sizes on the front will caust the diff to spin up constantly wearing it faster,
and if its a braking issue then surely its better to have the main braking wheels the same size??

i live in essex, if i get pulled over, im likely to get prosecuted lol, but thats life