ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Will there be any left?!

Arctic 182
Just a question that has been on my mind of late.

I've seen a lot of threads on here breaking Clio Sports, be it 172 or 182. Add to the breaking threads, adverts on eBay also breaking, people crashing them & writing them off & also cars used solely on the track.

Now shoot me down for not knowing my numbers but surely not that many were built? If it keeps going the same way will there be any left? On the same tangent, why do so many people break them? Look forward to thoughts & opinions.
Chris.

There is plenty left. Plenty.

People break them because they are worth more in parts - it's that simple really. Especially if the car has had a mechanical failure or if the car is modified.

Main Reason I find for breaking is at the moment they are worth nothing ! And when people mod them they put more money into a car worth not a lot , then when it's time to sell , they won't get money back so they break it up!

Theres still ill quite a few about but at the moment they are getting rarer mate !

Clio Cup
Thats why XR2s, rs turbos, Mk 1&2 golf gtis , 205 gtis are fetchin strong money now

Give it 10 years and clios will be the same. Now wouldnbe the time to squirrel away a phase 1
In silver and sunflower an exclusive. A cup and a trophy. A LY maybe and some of the other rare colours

Because they will creep up in value eventually

Arctic 182
Very good & some obvious points there guys cheers! I'm just thinking of the R5 Turbo Raider & loads of others that are as rare as rocking horse s**t & can go for silly money now. Obviously the Clio Sports are different to the afore mentioned cars but you know what I mean!

Edit: Those are the cars I mean Stu!!

Clio Cup
Ha ha. Ive had most of them. Paying 200-300 quid for them and breaking them for peanuts

Id give my right leg for a nice 1.6 205 but the price a rusty one commands and the money youd have to spend

Is a bit soft. One day. Wonder if they will ever be like MGBs with an actual industry supporting them

Clio 182
My mate has just got his hands on a fiesta rs turbo. No idea how many are left but there can't be many now, I hadn't ever seen one in the flesh but he reckons it will only go up in value.... Try getting parts for one though, doubt there will be many people braking them

Arctic 182
Ha ha. Ive had most of them. Paying 200-300 quid for them and breaking them for peanuts

Id give my right leg for a nice 1.6 205 but the price a rusty one commands and the money youd have to spend

Is a bit soft. One day. Wonder if they will ever be like MGBs with an actual industry supporting them

I do like the older cars more than the newer ones. It's the 1.9 205 for me, but I have a soft spot for the R5 GTT! You never know mate it go the same way.

Arctic 182
My mate has just got his hands on a fiesta rs turbo. No idea how many are left but there can't be many now, I hadn't ever seen one in the flesh but he reckons it will only go up in value.... Try getting parts for one though, doubt there will be many people braking them

The turbo was the one with the green stripe running around the bumpers wasn't it? One of the car scene 'elders' down here had one when I was about 14 I think. Really clean, standard apart from engine & brakes ETC but so quick! Loved it.

Renault Clio 172 cup
Plenty left. Just checked on "HowManyLeft" website and as an example there were 1500 clio 172's taxed this year, and 256 sorn'd. So not quite collectors cars yet.

Clio Cup
Id say for the amount renault sold thats only about 10%

Prefer tye 1.6 gti its more frantic than the 1.9 and the lumpy idle tickles me. No way could a modern car get away with it

It's also worth remembering that most manufacturers tend to keep stock of parts for around ten years, so after that (and when people have raided scrap yards etc) they'll be harder to come by. That's one of the reasons that getting parts for old 80's / 90's hot hatches is hard (and expensive)

Arctic 182
There had better be some LY182's still kicking around when I've finished saving up!

I would love a LY mate, but I would happily settle for an Inferno! Off topic - When the time comes for me to buy one of those would be ideal, but after that in order of preference; Arctic Blue, Racing Blue then Black Gold. Really can't wait! How long are you looking at?

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
you reckon you guys have problems, try owning several mark 1's there is literally sod all left of that market now, died a death in the last couple of years :(

PB Clio 172
There had better be some LY182's still kicking around when I've finished saving up!

don't.... its a girls colour! I like them but couldn't own 1

edit I drove a bright yellow Mini on the ramps the other day and I felt embarrassed!

Last edited:

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
rofl, theres a reason for that tho, no one bought one back then so there never was any anyway ;)

Fiesta ST2 MP215
rofl, theres a reason for that tho, no one bought one back then so there never was any anyway ;)

It was the most expensive color also, I never sold any LY's back then, never even saw one until I came on here. Sold 2 Vee's to one person though, for her two twin 18yrs old Sons Bdays lucky f***s.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
It was the most expensive color also, I never sold any LY's back then, never even saw one until I came on here. Sold 2 Vee's to one person though, for her two twin 18yrs old Sons Bdays lucky f**ks.

lol, I had a quote fail and was actually replied to matey with the phase 1 19 16v..........however it hold true for the LY as well! :)

ph1 19 16v, ph1 172

Many thousands of them were sold.

The thing is, once this type of cars get to a certain age/price bracket, they fall within the scope of 'a certain type' of owner, who mod them (cosmetically), thrash them and make them undesirable in many ways to any further owners. Countdown to the scrapyard basically.

The ones that actually survive long enough to become anything like rare and see their value begin to rise again tend to be the ones that have managed to retain their sellability, i.e remained standard. Note also that this doesn't necessarily mean they are in good condition, sadly.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
tin worm mate tbh, that's the biggest killer, well peoples lack of willingness to fix said worm issues anyway